Home

UFC on ESPN+: Cejudo v Dillashaw

This is a discussion on UFC on ESPN+: Cejudo v Dillashaw within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-18-2019, 07:45 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: UFC on ESPN+: Cejudo v Dillashaw

I cannot wait to see both Gillespie and Hernandez. Both of those dudes are MONSTERS. I didn’t even realize they were both at 155 until a minute ago. That’s like, a superfight for the hardcore MMA fans. Stylistically awesome matchup, hope it happens at some time down the line.

Gillespie is a LITTLE stiff on the feet, but he’s great at landing hard strikes between wrestling sequences or after missing a TD. His elbows off the clinch and just overall brutality with the dirty boxing is second to none. Of course his wrestling is his thing, he’s just relentless with the pressure. He’s one of those rare fighters who can just wrestle at 100%, balls to the wall for an entire fight, and just overwhelm people.

Hernandez is a little harder to say, since we have limited tape on him. His debut was impressive, KOing with Dariush. He clearly brings serious intensity, whether striking or wrestling. But his OAM fight really showed what he’s capable of, and what his assets are. He, like Gillespie, can just go 100% with the offensive wrestling for an entire fight. He’s also a physical specimen - not that it means much, but there’s no doubt that he looks the part. He has a serious intensity and confidence that just seems to bypass any other contenders right now. That is... except for Gillespie.

That’s why Gillespie vs Hernandez is such an intriguing fight. I expect them both to win their respective fights tomorrow*, and hopefully some time soon, fight each other.

*Less confident on the Hernandez fight. Even though he’s a promising contender with clearly elite wrestling and conditioning, Cerrone is good at spanking the news kids. Especially wrestlers. Cerrone’s got some of the most underrated grappling in MMA, period. Off his back he’s arguably the most dangerous at WW. I mean, I can’t think of a time he’s ever been held on his back. He’s always immediately attacking. Remember when BJJ ace Myles Jury took Cerrone down? Cerrone just immediately attacks with a gogoplata, then transitions to the back and slaps on a body triangle all within seconds of hitting the mat. Stayed on Jury’s back for the rest of the round, attacking with chokes. Even his offensive wrestling is surprisingly very good, he’s surprised a lot of fighters with his takedowns, including wrestling standout Rick Story.

Cerrone, against specific styles, can look AMAZING. I mean, when Cerrone does win, he looks like one of the greatest to ever do it. He looks untouchable. Some of the cleanest combinations you’ll ever see in MMA, super flexible legs with very fast kicks. Super active ground game, takes the back of black belts like Myles Jury, and scores double legs on NCAA wrestlers like Rick Story. He just looks like a potential goat against certain guys. But then we see him look completely helpless against somebody with a good 1-2. Nate Diaz, Masvidal and Till all basically just 1-2’d cowboy into oblivion. He also has looked rather meh against guys like Leon Edwards.

But what I’m getting at, is Hernandez may be one of those guys Cerrone can shine against. Maybe the bottom game of Cerrone shuts down the wrestling of Hernandez. Maybe the striking of Cerrone is more polished than Hernandez, and he’s able to expose some holes in Hernandez’s standup. Or maybe Hernandez lights him up and finishes him. Who knows, you never know with a Cerrone fight. But one thing you can generally bank on, is that Cerrone won’t get outgrappled. I don’t think he ever has been outgrappled, and I doubt we’ll see it against Hernandez.

Overall though, I’m leaning Hernandez. My instincts tell me that Hernandez is a force to be reckoned with, that he’ll fight smart, and come out with the W. And hopefully, in the not so distant future, we see Gillespie vs Hernandez, a battle of the undefeated, super intense, super aggressive phenoms.

Last edited by Good Grappler; 01-18-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:30 PM   #18
MVP

Couldn't agree more bro ...love cowboy ... When he wine ,he wins .

Sent from my Infinix X604 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 01-19-2019, 11:33 AM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitfistssaipailo
Couldn't agree more bro ...love cowboy ... When he wine ,he wins .

Yeah lol that’s a good way of putting it. When he wins, he WINS.

Never seen a fighter look so amazing in their Ws, yet so helpless in their Ls.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:35 PM   #20
MVP

Old 01-19-2019, 06:55 PM   #21
Hall of Fame

jb12780's Arena

OVR: 23

Quality looks great on the 50 inch through chromecast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2019, 07:28 PM   #22
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Someone tell Muhammad to defend himself.

Sent from my SM-T837P using Operation Sports mobile app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 01-19-2019, 08:23 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Commercials and starting late, off to a great start.

Prelims are to have to be streaming only because they can't hold PPVs because ESPN can't schedule properly. Wait until football season.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2019, 09:29 PM   #24
MVP

This Cerrone v Hernandez fight should be interesting.

Hernandez is pretty well rounded but his best asset seems to be his cardio and pace. He has a loss to Jammal Emmers tho.

Cerrone is famous for his creative striking and his grappling is underrated. Cerrone seems to wilt to mean spirit tho. I don't know how he'll react to Hernandez but I'd imagine he can deal with it better now considering how many times it's happened.

I think Hernandez wins this in a grinding decision, I think he can neutralize Cerrone jujitsu with force but Cerrone is more proven. Cerrone is more likely to find a finish imo.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »