Home

UFC 236: Holloway v Poirier 2

This is a discussion on UFC 236: Holloway v Poirier 2 within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-16-2019, 09:35 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
UFC 236: Holloway v Poirier 2

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2019, 05:04 PM   #2
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Re: UFC 236: Holloway v Poirier 2

So tonight is the night! What's everyone's predictions out there for the main and co main? Here's mine...

GASTELUM VS ADESANYA
This is gonna be a classic outside fighter vs inside fighters matchup imo. For Kelvin, he has to use good head movement to get on the inside and land that left hand...also think it would be smart for him to go to the body of Adesanya early, considering the height disadvantage. The body will be easier to find and he can possibly slow Isreal down. It will also be good for him to mix things up with the grappling just to keep Isreal guessing, potentially opening up a window for him to land a big strike or get a td. For Adesanya, he's gotta keep this on the feet and use his movement, feints and elusiveness to stay long range and tag Gastelum from the outside. He also wants to stay off the fence and avoid any grappling. Standing is where he has the advantage. He also needs to make certain he avoids the left hand of Gastelum.

Prediction: I'm gonna go with Adesanya by Decision/TKO. I feel he's gonna be a bit too slick on the feet for Gastelum. I feel his head movement and feints are gonna keep Gastelum on edge and his good movement/footwork will help him avoid any possible grappling. I'm thinking he'll maybe be able to catch him with something coming in or just pick him apart for 5 rounds.

HOLLOWAY VS POIRIER 2
This one is gonna be good. In the first fight, it was a 1st round finish for Poirier via sub, so Poiriers confidence will be high going into this, regardless. However, this is a total different Holloway he's facing. He's matured and evolved as a fighter, winning the championship and placing himself as perhaps the greatest FW on the planet. Now he has the chance to proove himself at LW. For Poirier, he has to mix things up, but with a more heavier emphasis on grappling. He's beaten Max on the ground before and sure Max is a total different fighter now, but his ground game is still questionable. The times we've seen him have trouble and lost has been due to the ground game. I think it will do Poirier well to test that ground game and possibly see if there are any chinks in the armor. On the feet, he has to stay sharp and counter strike. Max loves the 1/2 and can get pretty predictable with it at times. Poirier needs to stay poised and ready to slip and counter that with a stinging left hand. For Max, his gameplan should be similar to what Adesanya's is. He needs to stay on the feet and avoid any grappling, unless he's on top. He also needs to avoid any wild exchanging...don't need to go around testing your chin, as Dustin has some decent power. He just needs to stay patient, work behind the jab and look to counter Dustin as he tends to over extend at times.

Prediction: I've got Max by TKO. I feel like if he stays patient, avoids any grappling and crazy exchanges on the feet, he can outlast Poirier. Once that happens and Poirier slows down, he'll be a sitting duck for Max to pick apart and finish.

Last edited by WarMMA; 04-13-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:41 PM   #3
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

The Holloway/Poirier face-off got me HYPE! There was no pushing or any garbage like that, but they just looked at each other and nodded their heads, "yeah, you'll see me in there." This is such a dope fight, both have looked fantastic as of late, but I can't go against Max, he's on some next level **** right now. Man, I can't wait for this card tonight.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:31 PM   #4
MVP

Surprised to see Krylov submit OSP. He just avenged his own sub loss to OSP by von preux earlier with that RNC.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:06 PM   #5
MVP

Rountree wins

Eryk Anders (-190|$1.5x|6/10) < Khalil Rountree (+165|$2.6x|4/10)

SL/m: 3.12 > 2.30
S Acc: 50% > 34%
SSA/m: 3.89 < 3.29
SD: 49% > 38%
TD Avg: 2.05 > 0
TD Acc: 41% > 0%
TDD: 66% > 50%
SUB Avg: 0.2 < 0.3

Prediction: Rountree by R2 KO
Result: Rountree by DEC (30-26)

Last edited by johnmangala; 04-14-2019 at 12:44 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2019, 11:32 PM   #6
MVP

Incredible performance by Rountree! Those were some of the best lead leg kicks you'll see for a while. Anders proved he's tough, most would've been out by the 1st KD. Let alone 4 in 1 round.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:38 PM   #7
MVP

Adesanya wins

Kelvin Gastelum (-175|$1.5|6/10) < Israel Adesanya (+165|$2.6x|4/10)

SL/m: 3.86 < 4.47
S Acc: 43% < 53%
SSA/m: 2.87 < 2.07
SD: 61% < 69%
TD Avg: 0.82 > 0
TD Acc: 50% > 0%
TDD: 62% < 85%
SUB Avg: 0.2 = 0.2

Prediction: Adesanya by DEC
Result: Adesanya by DEC (48-46)

Last edited by johnmangala; 04-14-2019 at 12:43 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:50 PM   #8
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Yh my prediction is the same. It'll be interesting to see how Kelvin deals with the reach and height and if he tries to get any grappling going. This one should be fun to watch and we still got Poirier and Holloway to come!

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »