Home

Old 01-20-2020, 01:27 PM   #49
Sassy

MacGowan's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: UFC 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
I think he takes a few months and fights around April. Then sets up the title shot towards the end of the year. If he gets out quickly in April, he may even want to fight 4 times.
UFC won't let him. He costs too much. They have to be sure it's a top card of the year whenever he's on. That means stripping the card of other expensive fighters. Having him fight popular names (not Gaethje), and taking time enough to build it up. I can however see him fighting Masvidal in the summer. and perhaps a Khabib/Diaz/GSP/Mickey Mouse in November. But even that's optimistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
agree. The fight put me in a visibly bad mood for almost a whole 24 hours lol.
Yeah, me too. I wonder... If the event was a bad thing for the UFC. Sure "Conor is back". But the casual card of the year was crap and the main event lasted 40 seconds. Everyone I know was teasing me: "eh, how was the fight? only 40 seconds eh? imagine paying money for that."

Fight, they all said, not fights. It all feels like boxing/WWE when conor shows up. Imagine being a casual and inviting all your friends over for the conor fight. maybe you catch the holly co-main.

ouch.

Quote:
The shoulders were cool though, never have seen that - especially do such major damage like that it was weird and insane.
Yeah, Conor's gameplan was obviously to start very hard. I've seen clinch scuffles like that before, but not at that frantic level.

Quote:
I really hate all the fixed talk - like yeah I'm going to let you absolutely flatten my nose with your shoulder and take a dive. c'mon.
Yeah, again, whenever Conor fights all the idiots come out. A friend of mine was like "wasn't that bus incident staged?".

Most people don't understand MMA. They think it's some sort of Hulk Hogan thing. Or they more than often just replace their lack of knowledge with what they've seen in movies.
Quote:
I just wish someone would hype cowboy up a bit before the opening bell, let's get intense, you can't be THAT relaxed!
I kinda disagree.
It reminds me of the Aldo fight. Live I almost thought Aldo tripped and the ref called it early. But of course that's not what happened. Cowboy probably had a good gameplan.

- What I'm seeing is a Cowboy that must have trained to shoot on the first commited left cross.
- Conor must have trained for a knee in defence of takedowns.
- Cowboy clinches (which is good. Both first moves we saw from Cowboy are grappling related.)
-Conor does his weird ***: "back forward, back forward."

-This is the part that gets to me. Granted, cowboy got kneed pretty good, and those shoulders busted him up. But 5 seconds prior Cowboy throws a head kick: Probably not thinking it will do much more than get a little respect. Now, boys and girls, what's the first thing we expect after throwing a leg kick in EA UFC 3? that's right, a leg kick back. It baffles me a bit that this Muay Thai expert throws a naked kick, only to be caught off-guard when Conor returns it.

How do I say this... Conor is very good at fighting awkwardly, manipulating the rythm. Instead of a 1-2. you go: feint 1--2. Hard to explain without using boxing glosssary.

Cowboy is also clearly compromissed (how did he survive that knee?). But whyyy are you leaaaning into his left side?? (writes the fat man on the couch).

Cowboy is still great, and I think he has some top fights left in him. He was just terribly missmatched and compromissed from the very first shot.

Last edited by MacGowan; 01-20-2020 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:08 AM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: UFC 246

Quote:
2 things.

1) I just noticed it's a 5 rounder! so if Donald wants to win, he should take him down for rounds 1 and 2 and drain Connor. Like you though I just don't think he will because of his personality - he doesn't want to win at all costs, he always wants to win his way and that is preferably to stand and bang. If he diminished a bloated, rusty Connor for 2-3 rounds he could win EASILY imo.

2) the betting odds which I rarely look at are HEAVILY favouring Connor. Everyone is expecting a 1st round KO/TKO for Connor and I can honestly see that too if Cowboy just rolls in like usual.

ex-factors for something different.
- if this is Cowboy's swan song, he will maybe want to win 'no matter what'
- if he wants to fight another 'superstar' he may also want to win 'no matter what'
-is cowboy capable of putting the ego or manliness aside to make that conscious decision or will he just try to win the Cerrone way?

That's what is making this fight more and more interesting to me - Donald is clearly the more versatile and talented all-around fighter - and 'we are all' assuming he will lose because of his strategy.

My own bias lets me imagine Cowboy can win his way though, just because Connor isn't as pressure as other pressure fighters in that he doesn't go with volume, his presure is position/footwork based. Very effective, but Donald is hard to counter because he stays upright and doesn't lunge in as much as other fighters. I don't think Donald will face a barage of shots just sort of coming at him uninvited.

Super hyped for this!
Mr. Cowboy had his face revamped !!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »