Home

If your opponent swings at all balls why throw strikes?

This is a discussion on If your opponent swings at all balls why throw strikes? within the MVP Baseball Online forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MVP MLB Baseball > MVP Baseball Online
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2005, 04:32 PM   #17
MVP
 
OVR: 8
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: BX
Re: If your opponent swings at all balls why throw strikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
Here's the problem I have with that.....

Many people use teams/pitchers with a wicked 97+ mph fastball. At that speed, I at least have a problem catching up to it. If you don't swing immediatly, then you are going to be late. No split second to judge if it's going to be a strike or not, it's so fast you have no chance. And in the games I've played, it's these people that consistently use the fastball to throw out of the zone on purpose.

I see both sides of this argument, but frankly I always try to pitch real, and i consider people who use the overpowering fastball pitchers to throw mostly balls as cheap. I get more satisfaction when I fool a batter with a good strike than throwing some cheap 97mph high out of the zone when they have 2 strikes on them.
uhmmm isn't that what baseball is about?
HoodedSoldier is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 05:30 PM   #18
MVP
 
Ramminyou's Arena
 
OVR: 10
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: University of Miiiizoooou-rah!
Re: If your opponent swings at all balls why throw strikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erv
OK mr. big shot there was more than two ideas presented within those sentences. What you wrote doesn't even qualify for the word sentence. I'm not going to reread my own post because somebody is too lazy to type out a coherent sentence.

You try and throw in a flame about my vision yet before you were talking about how telling the difference between a low strike and low ball can be "hard" at times. Which one will it be Mr. Kerry?
First, you only had one idea presented in your post, and that was that the "line" between mixing up good pitches to strike someone out and dirty tactics is crossed when someone targets the lower border of the strikezone.

And it is hard to tell if a pitch is going to be low or on the fringe - just like it is with well-placed pitches on the inside, outside, and upper portion. That is how it is supposed to be. That's baseball. I was only targeting the fact that you said low pitches are indistinguishable as balls or strikes, and I find that to not be the case at all. So your highly original attempt to call my "contradiction" is invalid to say the least.
Ramminyou is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 02:49 AM   #19
Can't spell antetokounmpo
 
Bahnzo's Arena
 
OVR: 30
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,786
Blog Entries: 9
Re: If your opponent swings at all balls why throw strikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodedSoldier
uhmmm isn't that what baseball is about?
I don't understand your reply. In your post you stated you would throw balls all day long if people swing. I can't really disagree with that, with the exception that I mentioned. I've played way too many people that use someone like Randy Johnson to throw fastballs that are impossible to judge as a ball/strike before commiting to swing. It's this situation that I have a problem with, and no surprise, it's these people that consistently throw balls.

Sorry, for me, people that throw all balls, especially with overpowering fastball pitchers, just aren't fun to play against. I get the feeling they are only playing that team for the pitcher and to win at all costs. I play the game with my favorite team, and to have fun. Next time you are online, look at how the majority are either Boston or the Yankees or a mediocre team with a pitcher with a great fastball. It's litterally 90% of the people online.
Bahnzo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 08:33 PM   #20
Banned
 
OVR: 2
Join Date: May 2003
Re: If your opponent swings at all balls why throw strikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
Here's the problem I have with that.....

Many people use teams/pitchers with a wicked 97+ mph fastball. At that speed, I at least have a problem catching up to it. If you don't swing immediatly, then you are going to be late. No split second to judge if it's going to be a strike or not, it's so fast you have no chance. And in the games I've played, it's these people that consistently use the fastball to throw out of the zone on purpose.

I see both sides of this argument, but frankly I always try to pitch real, and i consider people who use the overpowering fastball pitchers to throw mostly balls as cheap. I get more satisfaction when I fool a batter with a good strike than throwing some cheap 97mph high out of the zone when they have 2 strikes on them.
You can't be serious?...When did throwing all strikes become the norm..Watch any major league pitcher and I'll assure you they are not deliberatley throwing strikes EVERY pitch..They will throw pitches when they know the batter will chase GARBAGE.

These bums online whinin and complainin about just throw strikes simply suck at the game and have no skills or more importantly patience...They want SOFTBALL not BASEBALL...They want big stats and to play a videogame in every sense of the word videogame. I personally like the chess match and the discipline it takes to concentrate and take good swings and not just get up at the plate hackin and asking my opponent to throw me strikes...IMO thats GAY

EA has done all they can do to simplify the game for these bums..You now have the hot/cold zones on all the time and the HITTERS EYE...I mean now you can read the type of pitch that is coming before it even leaves the pitchers hand...Some people simply like to complain about anything and everything particularly when they do not have success.

Last edited by Afroman4ever; 03-08-2005 at 08:35 PM.
Afroman4ever is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 08:36 PM   #21
Banned
 
OVR: 2
Join Date: May 2003
Re: If your opponent swings at all balls why throw strikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramminyou
I fail to see how that reply was vague considering I quoted you directly in my post.

And again: quit stating your opinion as fact. Although I can't always tell the difference between a low strike and a ball, I certainly don't find it indistinguishable. I've taken many pitches below the zone for balls that were pretty close.

And here's a tip you can use: take pitches at random. You don't always have to know a pitch is going to be a ball to take it. On an 0-0, 0-1 count, I will take a lot, just to see if my opponent is going to try and bait me. I've found that 9 times out of 10, if the other player throws a ball, he will without fail throw a strike the next pitch. You have to establish early that you won't swing at everything, and that your adversary will have to throw over the plate to get outs.

End of story.
Exactly!
Afroman4ever is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2005, 08:39 PM   #22
Banned
 
OVR: 2
Join Date: May 2003
Re: If your opponent swings at all balls why throw strikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erv
It, they and any other pronouns could refer to anything from any part of my post, it was very difficult to disern what your were talking about.

I understand about working the count and reading the opponents mind etc...it's just these select group of people who throw one pitch(if it's someone with a knuckleball) at the knees throughout the entire game. If you swing and it's low you'll miss then if you take and it's a strike your screwed. I simply quit when I play these people, because I have better things to do with my time. If it isn't fact, tell me what visual difference there is between a curve that is a low strike and a ball. It's not as bad with different angles but you can't fix that online. It's something that needs to be fixed for the next game, I hate when a new game comes out and people will go to no end to make the game look perfectly made.
I think they call people like you BUMS (quitters, plug pullers)...The game is fine and you still whine...Just face the fact that your not that good and baseball is a hard game...Its hard to hit in real life...what makes you think hitting should be easy online or in head 2 head play
Afroman4ever is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 08:41 PM   #23
Banned
 
OVR: 2
Join Date: May 2003
Re: If your opponent swings at all balls why throw strikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
I don't understand your reply. In your post you stated you would throw balls all day long if people swing. I can't really disagree with that, with the exception that I mentioned. I've played way too many people that use someone like Randy Johnson to throw fastballs that are impossible to judge as a ball/strike before commiting to swing. It's this situation that I have a problem with, and no surprise, it's these people that consistently throw balls.

Sorry, for me, people that throw all balls, especially with overpowering fastball pitchers, just aren't fun to play against. I get the feeling they are only playing that team for the pitcher and to win at all costs. I play the game with my favorite team, and to have fun. Next time you are online, look at how the majority are either Boston or the Yankees or a mediocre team with a pitcher with a great fastball. It's litterally 90% of the people online.
Ever try pre-reading the pitch with the HITTERS EYE or figuring out your opponents pattern?...Thats what baseball is all about...You want it to play like an arcade game where your hitting every ball and scoring lots of runs....If you want that then practice..But blaming your opponennt and the game is not the answer.

Stop swinging at garbage and practice on reading pitches and outwitting your opponent. Thats baseball
Afroman4ever is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 11:44 PM   #24
Erv
MVP
 
OVR: 10
Join Date: Jul 2002
Re: If your opponent swings at all balls why throw strikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afroman4ever
I think they call people like you BUMS (quitters, plug pullers)...The game is fine and you still whine...Just face the fact that your not that good and baseball is a hard game...Its hard to hit in real life...what makes you think hitting should be easy online or in head 2 head play
I never saw a baseball game on any level where someone threw the same pitch in the two same spots and didn't get shelled...in real life people would hunch down and golf that crap out of the park.
Erv is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MVP MLB Baseball > MVP Baseball Online »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:12 PM.

Top -