Home

If your opponent swings at all balls why throw strikes?

This is a discussion on If your opponent swings at all balls why throw strikes? within the MVP Baseball Online forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MVP MLB Baseball > MVP Baseball Online
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2005, 11:57 PM   #25
MVP
 
Ramminyou's Arena
 
OVR: 10
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: University of Miiiizoooou-rah!
Re: If your opponent swings at all balls why throw strikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erv
I never saw a baseball game on any level where someone threw the same pitch in the two same spots and didn't get shelled...in real life people would hunch down and golf that crap out of the park.
So there has never in the history of baseball been a situation where a pitcher has thrown the same pitch in the same general location x number of times in a game without the batter getting ahold of it?

If Randy Johnson blows a low 99 MPH fastball by Manny Rameriz, he won't be able to do it again because Manny will automatically adjust and hit it out of the yard? That example pretty much sums up what I'm gathering from your argument.

I'm losing more and more respect for you as this thread continues.
Ramminyou is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2005, 02:39 AM   #26
Can't spell antetokounmpo
 
Bahnzo's Arena
 
OVR: 30
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,786
Blog Entries: 9
Re: If your opponent swings at all balls why throw strikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afroman4ever
Stop swinging at garbage and practice on reading pitches and outwitting your opponent. Thats baseball
You are ignoring the major point of my argument here. I don't have a problem *at all* with throwing balls, it is part of the game. The problem I have is with people that always play with a pitcher that throws major heat, and like I said, that's 90% of the people online. You have no time to "read" the location on these. Sure you can see thru the hitter's eye that a fastball is coming, but unless you swing immediatly, that 97mph fastball is by you, there is no time to judge it's location. And i just seems to me that these are the players that constantly throw you fastballs out of the zone thrying to get you to swing.

Just curious....what team/pitcher do you play when online?
Bahnzo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:06 AM   #27
Hall Of Fame
 
Heelfan71's Arena
 
OVR: 44
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Georgia
Posts: 19,946
Blog Entries: 4
Re: If your opponent swings at all balls why throw strikes?

I normally play with the Braves. I throw balls and strikes and like mixing it up. Fastballs, followed by changeups and vice versa. I also only play people I know and play unranked 9 inning games, MVP fielding with no pitch cursor. That is the only way to play if you ask me ! With no pitch cursor is the way to go, I repeat ! It is too easy to locate pitches with it on. Most of my games are low scoring games. Tonight me and Dookie had our highest scoring game yet 6-5 .
Heelfan71 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 04:18 AM   #28
Banned
 
OVR: 2
Join Date: May 2003
Re: If your opponent swings at all balls why throw strikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
You are ignoring the major point of my argument here. I don't have a problem *at all* with throwing balls, it is part of the game. The problem I have is with people that always play with a pitcher that throws major heat, and like I said, that's 90% of the people online. You have no time to "read" the location on these. Sure you can see thru the hitter's eye that a fastball is coming, but unless you swing immediatly, that 97mph fastball is by you, there is no time to judge it's location. And i just seems to me that these are the players that constantly throw you fastballs out of the zone thrying to get you to swing.

Just curious....what team/pitcher do you play when online?
My Gamertag is Gubmntcheez and you can look my stats up anytime..I play with two of the lower rated teams on the game the Pirates and the Rockies...I'm not a "Johnny Come Lately" fan that takes the best team on the game...I'm not Pirate or Rockie fan either but I have them in a couple of leagues I'm in so I play with them to get to know my personnell.

I mean I throw Strikes in and arounmd the Strike Zone and out of it as well...I mix it up...My problem is with these bums online who are complaining when you paint the corner and they are just hackin at anything and everything. These guys don't want sim baseball...They want stats and for the game to come easy...I actually enjoy MVP more because its so hard to hit and you actually have to concentrate and play real baseball to be effective.

I'll be honest with ya..If I'm playing somebody and they have shown from the git go that they will swing at anything I'd be a fool to throw them a good pitch the whole game...Part of my strategy is seeing if the opponent has discipline and can force me to throw better pitches...But like I said I'll throw a pitch in the batters whee house If I think I have him off guard. Thats baseball.

BTW..My record is 0-2 officially but I play all of my games on unrankled because I do not get into that 5 inning garbage...I play all my games 9 innings, Strike zone and Ball cursor off on MVP or All-Star...I prefer MVP but generally play on All-Star because most people online seem to be scared of MVP Level.

Last edited by Afroman4ever; 03-09-2005 at 04:24 AM.
Afroman4ever is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:29 AM   #29
Rookie
 
OVR: 1
Join Date: Jul 2004
Re: If your opponent swings at all balls why throw strikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erv
I never saw a baseball game on any level where someone threw the same pitch in the two same spots and didn't get shelled...in real life people would hunch down and golf that crap out of the park.

I seen pitchers throw 3 straight curveballs down in the zone and get a strike out...

I seen pitchers throw 3 straight fastballs on the outside corner and get strikeouts...

I see Brian Lawrence of the Padres strike out the side on 9 pitches 2 years ago...

anything can happen in baseball...

just ask Fernando Tatis... 2 grand slams in ONE INNING off the same pitcher when he was on the Dodgers...

don't tell me that a pitcher can't throw the same pitch twice in the same spot...
__________________
"Did you break your leg jumping off that Kansas City bandwagon?"
DSlizzle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:32 PM   #30
Erv
MVP
 
OVR: 10
Join Date: Jul 2002
Re: If your opponent swings at all balls why throw strikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSlizzle
I seen pitchers throw 3 straight curveballs down in the zone and get a strike out...

I seen pitchers throw 3 straight fastballs on the outside corner and get strikeouts...

I see Brian Lawrence of the Padres strike out the side on 9 pitches 2 years ago...

anything can happen in baseball...

just ask Fernando Tatis... 2 grand slams in ONE INNING off the same pitcher when he was on the Dodgers...

don't tell me that a pitcher can't throw the same pitch twice in the same spot...
You misunderstood what I said. The ENTIRE GAME.
Erv is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:34 PM   #31
Erv
MVP
 
OVR: 10
Join Date: Jul 2002
Re: If your opponent swings at all balls why throw strikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramminyou
So there has never in the history of baseball been a situation where a pitcher has thrown the same pitch in the same general location x number of times in a game without the batter getting ahold of it?

If Randy Johnson blows a low 99 MPH fastball by Manny Rameriz, he won't be able to do it again because Manny will automatically adjust and hit it out of the yard? That example pretty much sums up what I'm gathering from your argument.

I'm losing more and more respect for you as this thread continues.
I wasn't talking about Randy Johnson or fastballs for that matter. Stop taking things out of context. I'm talking one PLACE the WHOLE game 9 innings straight. I don't see how that isn't clear.
Erv is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2005, 05:49 PM   #32
MVP
 
Ramminyou's Arena
 
OVR: 10
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: University of Miiiizoooou-rah!
Re: If your opponent swings at all balls why throw strikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erv
I wasn't talking about Randy Johnson or fastballs for that matter. Stop taking things out of context. I'm talking one PLACE the WHOLE game 9 innings straight. I don't see how that isn't clear.
And what is stopping you from making similar adjustments on this game?
Ramminyou is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MVP MLB Baseball > MVP Baseball Online »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:32 PM.

Top -