Home

If your opponent swings at all balls why throw strikes?

This is a discussion on If your opponent swings at all balls why throw strikes? within the MVP Baseball Online forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MVP MLB Baseball > MVP Baseball Online
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 03-10-2005, 12:13 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: If your opponent swings at all balls why throw strikes?

Why should you throw strikes?

Because if you are using Randy Johnson and throw fastballs up out of the zone they are unhittable unless you start your swing as it leaves his hand.

It doesn't take any "skill" to just throw high fastballs all day long, and this is the only pitch that I consider to be a little cheesy. I take pitches, I take walks, and I have a pretty good record online playing with the Phillies and Blue Jays. But it is much more fun when you are playing someone that is at least trying to put the ball on the corner. You can then at least guess which side of the plate the pitch is going to.

Do I intentionally miss the plate sometimes...yes. Do I aim for corners and throw balls that are straddling the black...yes. But I won't crank up fastballs that are at shoulder level with Billy Wagner because my opponent has only two choices when he throws a fastball - hope that it is a ball and don't swing, or start swinging when it leaves his hand.

If the rest of you have fun throwing it at shoulder level great, but when I can mix my pitches and still get the outs by throwing it near or in the strikezone I find the game much more enjoyable.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:48 PM   #34
MVP

Ramminyou's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdros13

Because if you are using Randy Johnson and throw fastballs up out of the zone they are unhittable unless you start your swing as it leaves his hand.

It doesn't take any "skill" to just throw high fastballs all day long, and this is the only pitch that I consider to be a little cheesy. I take pitches, I take walks, and I have a pretty good record online playing with the Phillies and Blue Jays. But it is much more fun when you are playing someone that is at least trying to put the ball on the corner. You can then at least guess which side of the plate the pitch is going to.

Do I intentionally miss the plate sometimes...yes. Do I aim for corners and throw balls that are straddling the black...yes. But I won't crank up fastballs that are at shoulder level with Billy Wagner because my opponent has only two choices when he throws a fastball - hope that it is a ball and don't swing, or start swinging when it leaves his hand.

If the rest of you have fun throwing it at shoulder level great, but when I can mix my pitches and still get the outs by throwing it near or in the strikezone I find the game much more enjoyable.
I can't imagine anyone who would continually throw those high fastballs if you successfully take a few of them. And you people act like it's impossible to tell a high strike from a high ball. Unless the other player can hit the border of the strikezone everytime, it is often very visible - even if the pitch is a Randy Johnson heater.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:22 PM   #35
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdros13

Uhhhh..It takes even less skill to SWING at every darn thing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2005, 02:58 PM   #36
MVP

In reality, I was looked at by MLB scouts in high school(95-99). I had good power, excellent line drive capabilities and a great fielrer. I also never swung at anything out of the zone. My senior year of high school, I made 4 outs at the plate all year(all foul tips). I had 57 walks to 83 hits.

That being said, it is impossible to judge a pitch in a fake 3D setting. If someone throws a 98 MPH heater anywhere out of the zone, you cant tell where its going to go, but in order to have a chance to make contact you need to swing as soon as its released.

The reasoning is because IRL, you can see the exact motion of the pitch and the exact release point of the ball, giving you a shot at telling you high.good, or low. In the video game though, all the pitches come out at the same release point, uness its a super mistake pitch(the yellow X kind).
Old 03-11-2005, 03:03 PM   #37
MVP

Ramminyou's Arena

OVR: 10

Oh, well, since you were a good baseball player in real life, you must know what you're talking about. I guess I was wrong, people. I am not able to tell if a fastball is out of the zone in the game. And also, taking pitches at random will not help, since you obviously have to know if the pitch is a ball or strike before you decide if you should swing.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:55 PM   #38
MVP

Don't be afraid to move your guys around at the plate. Last night I played a guy/kid who was the Yankees. I am a huge RedSox fan, and all I hear now when the game starts is , "Oh, another person playing as the RedSox". You know what? I have suffered for however many years as a RedSox fan, my favorite team finally wins the whole thing, and now I have to listen to some 12 year old Yankee fan complaining about me playing as my favorite team... Here's an idea. Go fu** yourself. Moving on.

So I play this kid who chooses the Yankees, and of course, Randy Johnson to start the game. I choose my #4 starter, and all around good guy, Wade Miller. Wade does not have great stuff, but he has a filthy slider to a right handed hitter. More on that later. So, this kid starts off firing fastballs up in the zone, and I take a few with Damon to see if he'll challenge me. Not so much. The kid throws 4 straight balls, and Damon walks. Renteria promptly hits into the 4-6-3 DP, and Manny flies out weakly to shortstop. This kid gets to the plate, and hacks away at everything I throw at him. I am throwing stuff with 20% effectiveness, and holding down so hard on the controller, I am afraid I might break the L-stick. He goes down flailing on 9 pitches, and starts whining. "Hey ****** throw strikes". I say, "Hey little boy, take a pitch". It is on. The game goes scoreless, and Randy has the no-no against me. I give up back to back singles to Jeter and A-Rat, but he cannot plate a run.. To the righty, Miller's slider disappears behind the shoulder of the batter, then reappears in the bottom corner of the strikezone. It is nasty, and he cannot hit it. The game is 0-0 until the 4th. Damon laces a single up the middle, and I bunt him to second with Renteria on the sacrifice. Manny hits a ball I think might get out, but Sheffield tracks it down. 2 outs, Damon at third on the tag-up. Then it happens.

Any of you who have pitched against David "Big Papi" Ortiz, know that he is weak up and in. Especially to a lefty.. Ahhh... asshopper....but Papi can move around in the zone. The kid throws two 98mph heaters up and in to Ortiz's cold zone. I can't even see them let alone hit them. So now, here he has me 0-2, and I know if the kid has a brain, he throws a slider someplace that I cannot even get near the ball..... but we are dealing with a kid who, sadly, may be a couple fries short of a Happy Meal. I have decided so based on his intent on calling me the N word for the entire game. So, I figure I will see another 99mph BB towards the cold zone, up and in. Just as Johnson starts his stretch, I scooch Big Papi towards the first baseline, and get ready for the heat. I swing the second the ball leaves the Unit's hand, and Ortiz launches the ball into the upper deck at Yankee Stadium. At least I think so. Because the second Sheffield turned around to watch the flight of this majestic bomb, the second the announcers shouted, "No doubt abou....." The game froze. And.....my opponent left the game. The mother****** quit on me. After calling me names all game long, and getting owned with my 4th starter, he couldn't even have the decency to let me watch the ball land.... Yankee fan.

So, in summation.... stick with your friend's list, learn to work the zone, and if you play a kid "YankeePlayaz" (or something like that) remind him that he was Stealy's little bit** last night.

SYF
Old 03-13-2005, 04:09 PM   #39
Pr*

ELDoro's Arena

OVR: 12

throw as many balls as you want..... its a game thats right, but the object of the game is to win. If you were playing madden and some idiot didnt know how to stop the run would you stop running??? no
Old 03-13-2005, 05:14 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 2

i couldn't throw it down the middle everytime any how. . .. .i have a tough time hitting the darn meter just right

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MVP MLB Baseball > MVP Baseball Online »