Home

If your opponent swings at all balls why throw strikes?

This is a discussion on If your opponent swings at all balls why throw strikes? within the MVP Baseball Online forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MVP MLB Baseball > MVP Baseball Online
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 03-14-2005, 02:16 PM   #41
Pro

Catman24's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: If your opponent swings at all balls why throw strikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDoro
throw as many balls as you want..... its a game thats right, but the object of the game is to win. If you were playing madden and some idiot didnt know how to stop the run would you stop running??? no
To me, online gaming is about skills. Not just winning. Yes, all of us want to win. But its more fun to me if I can mix things up and show off my skills. I'm going to throw inside, outside down the pipe. Yes I will throw balls too, but not all game, what fun is that.. I want to see my outfield play. I love getting double plays. Catching a ball that your opponent thought was going over the wall. Thats fun to me. Yes try to win. But show me some SKILLZ.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2005, 12:13 PM   #42
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolbubbaice
If a pitcher in real life knows a hitter will swing at anything they will always throw away from the strike zone. Players need to make me throw strikes & penalize me for throwing balls by taking walks... But B/C they arent disciplined at the plate I get cursed at after the game. I'm not even that good. 1-3.

I definetly see where you're coming from and basically agree. I mean, if people want to agree to have a 'strike zone only game' or something then fine - I mean I've played a couple of those. I hate it when people decide in the 3rd inning to demand you throw only strikes though.

Here's the thing though: there are a lot of times you wouldn't throw it in the zone in real life. I mean 0-2 and your pitcher's best pitch it a splitter for example: of course you're going to want to go low out of the zone with it! Or using a cutter or slider to start out in the zone and then break out of it: that's a good strategy online and in real life!

Basically my point is that while its irritating to play someone who throws 80% blatent balls, the reality is that major league pitchers stay around the edge of the zone and a lot of the time go outside it, so I dont see a problem doing it here.

Also one other thing: in my experiance the people who want to play only strikes or who demand you throw them strikes suddenly throw everything out of the zonewhen they're in a tough spot, so I'm thinking its just because they dont want to have to develop an eye.

Last edited by DGetz; 03-15-2005 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:40 AM   #43
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGetz
I definetly see where you're coming from and basically agree. I mean, if people want to agree to have a 'strike zone only game' or something then fine - I mean I've played a couple of those. I hate it when people decide in the 3rd inning to demand you throw only strikes though.

Here's the thing though: there are a lot of times you wouldn't throw it in the zone in real life. I mean 0-2 and your pitcher's best pitch it a splitter for example: of course you're going to want to go low out of the zone with it! Or using a cutter or slider to start out in the zone and then break out of it: that's a good strategy online and in real life!

Basically my point is that while its irritating to play someone who throws 80% blatent balls, the reality is that major league pitchers stay around the edge of the zone and a lot of the time go outside it, so I dont see a problem doing it here.

Also one other thing: in my experiance the people who want to play only strikes or who demand you throw them strikes suddenly throw everything out of the zonewhen they're in a tough spot, so I'm thinking its just because they dont want to have to develop an eye.
I agree but as far as these fools wanting to play "all Strikes"..thats the Gayest thing I think I've ever heard of..."All Strikes??"
Old 03-19-2005, 11:20 AM   #44
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afroman4ever
I agree but as far as these fools wanting to play "all Strikes"..thats the Gayest thing I think I've ever heard of..."All Strikes??"
All Strikes is silly. Heck if you are trying to hit corners you are going to throw balls some of the time. Intentional unhittable balls all game long with guys with major heat is the only thing I think is cheezy.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:29 PM   #45
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afroman4ever

I agree, I think the concept of all strikes is stupid but hey, if thats how other people wanna play with each other, I don't really care

http://www.capsblueline.com
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2005, 09:40 AM   #46
Rookie

OVR: 2

To those that apply the "real pitchers dont throw 80% balls" argument there is surely an obvious retort

"if real hitters are pitched 80% balls they will start taking pitches"

or

"if real hitters swung 80% of the time then pitchers would start throwing balls"

so take some pitches....

(and i dont mean think about taking, I mean put the controller down (if you have to) and let the pitch sail past"

Let the free market fix it, take some pitches NO MATTER WHAT, take a called thrid strike occaisionally if you have to. Once you have had a couple of walks (maybe even a couple of deep counts) the strikes will come. You'll also tire the pitcher and make mistakes more likely.

See an interview with a real hitter and a lot of the time they guess whats coming. The game gives hitters a little more thanks to the ball colour thing which I think just about makes up for the lag. If someone is throwing 98mph heat then guess inside or outside on 2 strikes if you have to. I find even at this speed you might be able to hold up quick enough to get a checked swing once you establish if the pitch is inside or outside.

Thanks to the Red Sox fan for the tip about moving in the batters box. You turned that inside pitch into one right in your wheelhouse. If I was your opponent I would have stayed on just for the pleasure of getting the next guy 0-2 and then watching him flail at a changeup on the outside corner !

This is what baseball is all about !

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MVP MLB Baseball > MVP Baseball Online »