Home

MVP Baseball 2004 Roster Discussion

This is a discussion on MVP Baseball 2004 Roster Discussion within the MVP Baseball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MVP MLB Baseball > MVP Baseball Rosters
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 05-13-2004, 03:27 PM   #1241
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: MVP Baseball 2004 Roster Discussion

You guys are wrong to just say "screw Badgun". Just because the guy brought up a legitimate issue doesn't take away from the fact that he still appreciates all of Kerm's and Gomer's hard work.

I agree with most of what Badgun said, although I am not annoyed quite to the level he is about it.

I believe I am using the most recent roster file, or perhaps the one right before it (labeled "GomerKerm"). I have seen quite a few instances of what Badgun was referring to, and they were all with major league pitchers, though I believe all of them were of the "scrub reliever" variety and not star pitchers.

I have seen 90+ mph sliders, sliders that break like a screwball (read: the opposite way its supposed to break), extremely slow curveballs that break horizontally like a screwball or two seamer instead of a vertical drop, and some sliders that are really slow and flat, but then explode with late speed as it reaches the plate. It looks odd.

All of you guys think that Badgun, and probably me as well, are just bitching. I can't speak for Badgun, but I'm not bitching at all. I am just trying to figure out exactly what is causing this. Just because I found something strange in the roster file that I don't care for does not mean it erases any appreciation I have for them. Call it constructive criticism, feedback, confusion, whatever the hell you want. It isn't unwarranted griping, though.

You guys acting like the damn Gestapo any time any form of criticism comes down the pike need to chill.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2004, 03:47 PM   #1242
Rookie

OVR: 1

If you don't like some of their changes, then don't use their rosters, or tweak one thing on the pitcher that this happens to you, and it throw off what they did. I didn't know this, but i tweaked something with R.A. Dickey and i lost "The Thing". Now it's just a stupid knuckle curve that gets blasted. Thanks for the hard work, i can't wait to see what the new rosters are like.

Oh and one question, do i have to change anything to open up Kerm's rosters with MVPEdit. All the files are dats and it's looking for a different extension. I just want to play around and see what all the editor does. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:00 PM   #1243
MVP

No, it really isn't as simple as "if you don't like some of their changes, then don't use the rosters."

I am sick of reading that crap. The problem is, I love everything about the rosters other than the odd occurrences I am seeing with some of the pitch speeds and movements.

I am not going to miss out on all the good stuff the rosters provide just because of that, nor am I going to spend the ungodly amount of time it would take to figure out every single pitcher that has had something messed with and change it back.

I guess I wish there was a roster file that included everything except for the pitchers being messed with.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:12 PM   #1244
Rookie

I find it funny that people are b****ing more about Gomer/Kerm's rosters who are trying to fix what EA won't fix, than b****ing at EA themselves. And no offense but IMHO it is that simple, you can live with it, change a few players(BTW takes less time than complaining on here), wait and see if EA owns up, or just don't use them.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:18 PM   #1245
Rookie

Dreamcast1's Arena

OVR: 4

I am only going to comment about this once and then I am done. About a week ago, I was ready to give up on console baseball games altogether. It was pretty obvious to me, whoever developed these games has never played serious competitive baseball. Each game has good points, but each game has definitve faults as well. The worst fault was the Lefty HR glitch in MVP. I understand with the new hitting physics, how this happened. On the PC version, no problem correct it with a patch, and EA knew this. However console owners were hosed. Then came Gomer/Kerms roster fix. Not only did they attempt to slipstream the patch into their update, which is extremely time consuming and very complicated, but they added a complete minor league roster. FOR FREE!!!(donation on paypal). In addition, they tried to address the lack of pitch movement . Have you ever stood in a batters' box and just took a 96MPH fastball, and then on the next pitch saw a changeup? Believe me, it looks like it is about 60MPH, after seeing a fastball. IMO, that is what they were trying to get the pitching to feel like. Don't always pay attenion to the pitch speeds in a video game, it is very hard to simulate a 96MPH fastball from a 35'' television. I think the pitch movements and speeds are excellent with these rosters. At least they are more realistic. On curveballs you can almost get that "knee buckling" feeling. You can actually tell it is a curveball, and not just a slower fastball.

I appreciate all the work that went into trying to make these rosters realistic, and whoever thinks this roster ruins the integrety of the game, either you have never played high-level baseball, or you don't understand that this is a video game. It is almost impossible to make it like real life, a computer program has limitations, and boundaries, that the real world dosen't. Or maybe you would like to go back to Atari baseball (6 on 6). That was fun, wasn't it? Square baseball, and robot like players. (WOW!)

Sorry about the long post, but you guys have saved this baseball video game season for me. This game may not be perfect, but then again I have not found a game that is. At least now I can play a game , and it feels like baseball!

Thanks
Dreamcast1
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2004, 05:04 PM   #1246
MVP

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />
daknight said:
I find it funny that people are b****ing more about Gomer/Kerm's rosters who are trying to fix what EA won't fix, than b****ing at EA themselves. And no offense but IMHO it is that simple, you can live with it, change a few players(BTW takes less time than complaining on here), wait and see if EA owns up, or just don't use them.

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

How bout you read what the hell I actually posted instead of rehashing the same tired [censored] remarks that all the other clueless people have?

I never said I couldn't deal with it. I was just bringing up an issue that I noticed while playing the game using the roster file.

Who the hell are you to be telling people "oh, well just deal with it or don't use it then...blah blah friggin blah?"

This thread is titled MVP Roster discussion. It isn't called "Everyone praise Gomer and Kerm and kiss their [censored] for their hard work.....but you are not allowed to make any observations of something wrong or not working properly."

Just cut the crap already, people.

For the damn record, I am extremely appreciative of everything Kerm and Gomer have done here. They both have taken a ton of time to provide all of us with a better playing experience. I am grateful for that, as their work has greatly extended my enjoyment of MVP this year.

No matter how many times it is stated that it isn't mean to be a bitch, but just wondering what the reason is for it or whatever, there has to be a couple of people from the peanut gallery who apparently lack basic comprehension skills and just tell me or whoever else "just don't use them then". Well, no sh%$, sherlock. However, I had already stated that I would rather have the benefit of everything else the rosters provide and just deal with the oddness in some of the pitchers than not have anything at all.

If you can't comprehend that and the fact that it isn't an ungrateful gripe, then I truly feel sorry for you and any kids you may father in the future. Heaven help us all.
Old 05-13-2004, 06:17 PM   #1247
Legen - WAIT FOR IT

Pared's Arena

OVR: 72

SportsorDeath said:
daknight said:

How bout you read what the hell I actually posted instead of rehashing the same tired [censored] remarks that all the other clueless people have?

I never said I couldn't deal with it. I was just bringing up an issue that I noticed while playing the game using the roster file.

Who the hell are you to be telling people "oh, well just deal with it or don't use it then...blah blah friggin blah?"

This thread is titled MVP Roster discussion. It isn't called "Everyone praise Gomer and Kerm and kiss their [censored] for their hard work.....but you are not allowed to make any observations of something wrong or not working properly."

Just cut the crap already, people.

For the damn record, I am extremely appreciative of everything Kerm and Gomer have done here. They both have taken a ton of time to provide all of us with a better playing experience. I am grateful for that, as their work has greatly extended my enjoyment of MVP this year.

No matter how many times it is stated that it isn't mean to be a bitch, but just wondering what the reason is for it or whatever, there has to be a couple of people from the peanut gallery who apparently lack basic comprehension skills and just tell me or whoever else "just don't use them then". Well, no sh%$, sherlock. However, I had already stated that I would rather have the benefit of everything else the rosters provide and just deal with the oddness in some of the pitchers than not have anything at all.

If you can't comprehend that and the fact that it isn't an ungrateful gripe, then I truly feel sorry for you and any kids you may father in the future. Heaven help us all.

Seems you can't be a critic and appreciate their work at the same time. They don't take criticism very well.

Well, gomer more so than Kerm.... They don't understand we criticize b/c it's well done... just don't appreciate false advertising on some parts... They think the answer is "use it and don't bitch, or use it."

Hey SOD, honestly the reason all that is happening (pitch speeds and breaks anyway) are b/c some pitchers are rated too poorly. (For the most part) Some others are just very odd.... Mike Hampton's slider breaks VERTICALLY in the game... almost as if it's a sinker.

For example, Taylor Yates of the NY Mets was given a 30 for a Curveball rating, thus giving it a completely flat pitch movement. Whether or not that's what EA gave him, I haven't looked, but I intend to tonight.
Old 05-13-2004, 06:21 PM   #1248
Rookie

Regardless of what you wrote or what you meant to write, how did this get all personal, just simmer down guy, my comment earlier was just a general statement. Then there you go and throw in a statement like "If you can't comprehend that and the fact that it isn't an ungrateful gripe, then I truly feel sorry for you and any kids you may father in the future. Heaven help us all.", which makes me believe that you aren't reading or comprehending you're own writing, or are you the only one that can have a simple gripe on this board.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MVP MLB Baseball > MVP Baseball Rosters »