Home

MVP Baseball 2004 Roster Discussion

This is a discussion on MVP Baseball 2004 Roster Discussion within the MVP Baseball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MVP MLB Baseball > MVP Baseball Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-13-2004, 07:46 PM   #1257
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: MVP Baseball 2004 Roster Discussion

Just to clarify a little for you a Breaking Pitch can curve in ANY Direction no matter a righty or a lefty, there is no "wrong way"
Old 05-13-2004, 09:32 PM   #1258
MVP

TheDutchDad's Arena

OVR: 12

why are there new rosters coming out after you guys said the last ones were the final ones? i dont get it
Old 05-13-2004, 09:43 PM   #1259
MVP

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />
GomerPyle said:
Just to clarify a little for you a Breaking Pitch can curve in ANY Direction no matter a righty or a lefty, there is no "wrong way"

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

You couldn't be further from the truth, Gomer.

A "breaking ball" is technically any pitch that breaks, obviously, but for all intents and purposes, it is usually considered a curveball.

Yes, there is a "wrong way" a pitch can break when you are talking about a video game, or real life for that matter.

A curveball breaks on a downward plane, usually referred to as a 12-6. Sometimes, especially if a pitcher's arm angle is anywhere from 3/4 to sidearm, the curveball will have a little more of a horizontal break than a straight 12-6 table dropper.

That is the only way a curveball can break. A curveball cannot be defined as a curve if it moves like a screwball or a really exaggerated 2 seam fastball.

A slider is supposed to look almost like a fastball until it explodes with late sharp break HORIZONTALLY across the strike zone. It can't be any other way to be a slider.

I hope I am correct in assuming that you are already aware of this, but your statement really puzzles me.

It's as if you are saying any pitch type can have any type of break or movement, up, down, left, right, and still be considered that particular pitch.

That just defies the laws of physics, and it frankly kind of baffles me, because unless I am reading it wrong, it indicates a lack of fundamental baseball knowledge on your part.

I don't see how you or anyone else could dispute the following:

- a sinker, forkball or splitter all dive at the last second
-a curveball breaks downward, or diagonally downward
(with your rosters, I have seen a left handed pitcher throw a "curve" to my left handed hitter that looked like a wiffle ball pitch. It was slower than a normal curve, and broke in on my hands. That isn't defined as a curve. It would be a screwball.)

-a slider sharply breaks on a horizontal plane

To be considered any one of those pitches, it has to have that movement. Do you seriously believe otherwise?
Old 05-13-2004, 10:02 PM   #1260
Banned

OVR: 5

The theory of the Magnus Effect:

By properly orienting the spin direction, a pitcher can make the ball move in any direction left, right, up, down and so on- Regardless of which hand he uses

I did say also say The breaking pitch-curveball, split-finger, slurve, slider and other variations

and how did you know what type of pitches the cpu is throwing at you???

or are you playing 2 player???

more importantly you stated "with your rosters, I have seen a left handed pitcher throw a "curve" to my left handed hitter that looked like a wiffle ball pitch."

So obvisously you were hitting How did you know it was a "Curve"

Old 05-13-2004, 10:41 PM   #1261
MVP

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />
GomerPyle said:
The theory of the Magnus Effect:

By properly orienting the spin direction, a pitcher can make the ball move in any direction left, right, up, down and so on- Regardless of which hand he uses

I did say also say The breaking pitch-curveball, split-finger, slurve, slider and other variations

and how did you know what type of pitches the cpu is throwing at you???

or are you playing 2 player???

more importantly you stated "with your rosters, I have seen a left handed pitcher throw a "curve" to my left handed hitter that looked like a wiffle ball pitch."

So obvisously you were hitting How did you know it was a "Curve"

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

Gomer, I was playing against the computer. The pitch type is displayed right underneath the pitch speed unless you make contact, even in single player. I guess you never caught that.

I never disputed that a ball can theoretically break in any direction. I don't need the "Magnus Effect" to tell me that.

You did say breaking ball in general, but I am talking specific pitch types.

There is only one way for a specific pitch to break, according to what arm the pitcher throws it with.

So, using your rosters, I have seen a pitch that is not only slower than it should be, but when thrown by a lefty breaks in on my left handed batter. Instead of it being correctly called a screwball, the game calls it a curveball. Even if it had been thrown by a right handed pitcher, it is still not accurate because the break is nothing like a curveball. It's like you guys went and invented a brand new pitch.

I have seen various other odd things, such as a slider being faster than the same pitcher's fastball, which doesn't ever happen.

Hopefully we are now on the same page.

What I really would like to know is what criteria Kerm, or yourself, used to determine exactly what pitchers needed to have their repetoire screwed with?

I can understand tweaking some of their ratings points to make them less or more effective as to reflect their real life abilities, but what was the logic behind changing pitch breaks for certain guys like you pulled random names out of a hat, and made certain pitches of theirs break in a completely unrealistic way?

I can understand changing something like Freddy Garcia's 2 seam fastball, because as you said it has more of a downward movement than to the right, but why go and change speeds and breaks for guys that you have probably never even seen play before?

Thats what I don't get. Most of the occurrences I have seen have been by pitchers that even I have never heard of before, and I eat, sleep and crap baseball. You would have never known how his curveball breaks enough to go and change it. You would think there had to be a pretty strong conviction about it to go make a drastic change like that.

Before you say something about the minor league guys possibly being out of whack, rest assured, every instance I have seen has been with a major league player. It could possibly have been guys that were in the minors, but Kerm placed them on a big league roster for the update, but I'm not sure about it.

The next time I see it happen, I will be sure to remember the pitcher's name so I can let you know and maybe you can check it out to see if everything jives.

I don't mean to be confrontational, either, so don't get offended. I just wonder why you have seemingly avoided answering anything regarding this issue.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2004, 10:55 PM   #1262
MVP

baseball88's Arena

OVR: 11

Ok that is enough, if you don't like the rosters , use someone elses, I did not fool with any pitcher that EA had in game and also any ML pitcher, I only made and created AA and some AAA that EA neglected to make or create. That is it, I'm tired of people complaining about these, as much time and effort put into these Now if you would like to try to make your own rosters, do it. You can't even touch what I did in C++, you would have to have knowledge in C++. I did not even use an editor to do these. I worked with numbers not names, as far as attributes, everything was in code. Again may I state, I made the rosters posted at wwww.mvpmods.com for only PC. I also state in my readme plain as day, a person should ask permission before doing anything with these rosters. Gomer asked and I permitted him to convert my rosters, so feel lucky

Stop complaining and just enjoy the video game, it is not real life.

Kerm
Old 05-13-2004, 11:04 PM   #1263
Rookie

OVR: 1

Gomer and Kerm RULE! Thanks for touching up the Yanks. I cant wait.

Care to elaborate on the new additions?
ETA?
Old 05-13-2004, 11:07 PM   #1264
Rookie

OVR: 1

Gomer and Kerm RULE! Thanks for listening to our suggestions. Im so friggin stoked!

What else new can we expect?
ETA?

CHEER$

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MVP MLB Baseball > MVP Baseball Rosters »