Home

MVP Baseball 2004 Roster Discussion

This is a discussion on MVP Baseball 2004 Roster Discussion within the MVP Baseball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MVP MLB Baseball > MVP Baseball Rosters
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 05-16-2004, 12:42 AM   #1321
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: MVP Baseball 2004 Roster Discussion

This is not meant to be rude or anything like that. I just want to comment one thing

"You know, if Gomer wanted to jack up his favorite player or his favorite team, why couldn't he have just done it to his own roster? By altering Kerm's roster, he has now passed on his wishes to whomever downloads the roster...almost like a virus, if you will. "

I dunno what all Kerm is allowing Gomer to do, but he's converting rosters that would not be on our consoles unless someone else did it. Granted i've seen these alterations, some AAA guy threw i slider that slid the wrong way in a game a minute ago. With that said, it's easily edited. All you have to do is tweak something on that guy and it resets his stuff, or if you want the change, then change the speed to what you feel is correct. I don't know if Kerm put Dickey's pitch "The Thing" in the game or if it was Gomer, but i think whoever it was did a good job. The movement went away when i edited another rating of his. Now i know that editing all of these pitchers is time consuming, but i doubt it would come remotely close to the time it took to make these rosters. Which are his rosters that he is putting on the net for us. Now Gomer might have went to far in chaging Kerm's rosters like this, but that's between Gomer and Kerm and their agreement over the rosters. If Gomer is allowed to do this sort of thing with these rosters, does it really matter that much, even if we get a slightly tampered roster, is it not better than EA's and easily fixed to the user's liking. If i knew how to edit these things(i know C++, but not enough about the console's file systems to alter a file), i would alter the rangers, and their farm systems because personally i feel that EA did a bad job, and i'm sure some other people feel like EA didn't give their teams justice. So, if Gomer has this discretion with Kerm's roster then who are we to tell him how to alter the roster. He's even taking people's opinions on who/how players should be edited so we don't revert back to EA's default and screw up their work. They can't make everyone happy. You could just take their rosters and alter them to your liking, or just wait and see if you like the newer ones better(if they are kind enough to post them here, because i personally wouldn't if i caught all of this flack for rosters that i spent much time on to help other people). Now everyone's complaint is good and you have your right to it, but IMO(might just be me), it has gone from critiqueing a roster (who many of you say is great), to flat out saying that they screwed up the game(I think EA won that category). And Gomer, if/when someone does crtitique these rosters, could you give them a decent explanation as to why you decided to do it that way(even if it's just "Because they're my rosters", again that's between you and Kerm).

So can't we all just get along, and make this game better, or do we fight all day.

LOL, again for the sake of not getting flamed, i hope no one takes offense to anything that was said above.
^^^^^Might need to make that a sig from now on.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2004, 01:24 AM   #1322
MVP

OVR: 12

Not a bad point, man.

Would it kill you to throw a few paragraph breaks in there somewhere next time, though?

I don't mind changing some meaningless rating a point or two to get the default movement and speeds back. I will just pay attention and make sure I remember the name of each pitcher that I see infected with "wiffle syndrome".

My main thing is that I don't want those little changes to make the lefty bug come back. I believe I recall reading that making those changes won't bring it back, but I want to make damn sure before I do anything. It's really hard to remember when I've read so many pages of the same concerns being addressed so many times.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:28 AM   #1323
Rookie

Yea sorry, it was just my little rant.

I think i read somewhere that only the player you edit reverts back, so don't edit a lefty unless you really think EA messed up. Also i think on the MVP board Gomer was taking suggestions of who should be edited, i think he would research it and decide afterwards.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:34 AM   #1324
MVP

Badgun's Arena

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />
SportsorDeath said:
Not a bad point, man.

Would it kill you to throw a few paragraph breaks in there somewhere next time, though?

I don't mind changing some meaningless rating a point or two to get the default movement and speeds back. I will just pay attention and make sure I remember the name of each pitcher that I see infected with "wiffle syndrome".

My main thing is that I don't want those little changes to make the lefty bug come back. I believe I recall reading that making those changes won't bring it back, but I want to make damn sure before I do anything. It's really hard to remember when I've read so many pages of the same concerns being addressed so many times.

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

Do you really believe these rosters fixed the lefty bug? I have seen no difference in anything about the game with these rosters other than the crazy pitches. I've played 9 games with them and had 1 homerun by a lefty. I also have not seen an attempted steal either. What I have seen is lefty power hitters kill the ball and have it dive to the ground as if it were a dying quail. I've played 98 games with one dynasty and 9 more with these rosters and I have NEVER seen a lefty CPU batter hit a homerun.

Of course I could be wrong, but I sure haven't seen any evidence of the lefty bug being fixed. Have you?
Old 05-16-2004, 01:40 AM   #1325
MVP

Badgun's Arena

kdawg325 said:

I've actually been using Shawn Drotar's rosters that he posted not long after the game came out. He created some of the guys EA left out and I think he did a great job. Certainly not as complete as Kerm's roster, but serviceable just as well.

Then why are you still bitching about the other rosters?

Well obviously, like everyone else I was hoping for accurate AA and AAA rosters so I have waited for these ever since they were releasing betas. If they were as good as I had hoped, I had planned to start my dynasty over. Needless to say, that won't happen now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2004, 01:43 AM   #1326
Rookie

The topspin is still there, but it does help. I changed Lax Nix's ratings to be pretty good against RHP(which he is in real life) reverting back to EA defualt, and he has 2 down in AAA(one of the few rangers that i kept in my fantasy team). On the other hand i also kept Adrian Gonzales(sp?)and he's bashed 6 all going over 430. So it's at least better. I doubt us console owners will ever see a fix before MVP 2005.

BTW, i'm only 13-14 games into the season and Gonzalez is second on my team in homers to Chad Allen. It's weird i increased his contact since he's on fire right now, didn't change his default power, and just about anything he touches is gone. I don't even push up on the analog.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:58 AM   #1327
MVP

It's hard to say for sure, Badgun, but yeah, I think the rosters have helped with the lefty bug quite bit.

I have only played about 3-4 games since downloading the latest rosters, so it is a pretty small sample.

In the first game I used with them, I hit 3 homers with lefties playing with Boston (2 with Trot Nixon, one with David Ortiz). Nixon's first was a blast to pretty deep right field, his 2nd one was not as deep but was hit out to right center, more on the CF side then RF. That is something I was never able to do before.

After that, I think I got homer happy, because I went the next 2 games without hitting any lefty bombs, probably because I got encouraged by my earlier results and started trying to yank every hittable pitch out (and even a lot of unhittable pitches). The last game I played, I did hit 2 more with Eric Chavez and Bobby Kielty.

For like 4 games, that number seems pretty good to me. Compared with what I was getting before, it is night and day. Whether that kind of ratio holds up over more game time, I have no idea.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:02 AM   #1328
MVP

Badgun's Arena

SportsorDeath said:
It's hard to say for sure, Badgun, but yeah, I think the rosters have helped with the lefty bug quite bit.

I have only played about 3-4 games since downloading the latest rosters, so it is a pretty small sample.

In the first game I used with them, I hit 3 homers with lefties playing with Boston (2 with Trot Nixon, one with David Ortiz). Nixon's first was a blast to pretty deep right field, his 2nd one was not as deep but was hit out to right center, more on the CF side then RF. That is something I was never able to do before.

After that, I think I got homer happy, because I went the next 2 games without hitting any lefty bombs, probably because I got encouraged by my earlier results and started trying to yank every hittable pitch out (and even a lot of unhittable pitches). The last game I played, I did hit 2 more with Eric Chavez and Bobby Kielty.

For like 4 games, that number seems pretty good to me. Compared with what I was getting before, it is night and day. Whether that kind of ratio holds up over more game time, I have no idea.

Here's the $64,000 question. Have you seen a cpu lefty hit one yet?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MVP MLB Baseball > MVP Baseball Rosters »