Home

Pared's MVP 2005 Gameplay Sliders

This is a discussion on Pared's MVP 2005 Gameplay Sliders within the MVP Baseball Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MVP MLB Baseball > MVP Baseball Sliders
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 02-28-2005, 01:21 AM   #201
MVP

WatchdogXC's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Pared's MVP 2005 Gameplay Sliders

I haven't had any problems with the steals. I've thrown out the cpu when I've pitched out and when I've thrown fastballs. I've been able to steal by knowing when to steal. I've stolen bases with Coco Crisp, Ron Belliard, Aaron Boone and even Casey Blake. I've gotten caught when I chose the wrong pitch to go on and making the mistake of testing Pudge.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2005, 01:24 AM   #202
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchdogXC
I haven't had any problems with the steals. I've thrown out the cpu when I've pitched out and when I've thrown fastballs. I've been able to steal by knowing when to steal. I've stolen bases with Coco Crisp, Ron Belliard, Aaron Boone and even Casey Blake. I've gotten caught when I chose the wrong pitch to go on and making the mistake of testing Pudge.
Given that Jason Varitek has only an average arm, and that I'm getting caught with Ichiro when breaking balls are thrown, what better situation could there be to steal? Who are you stealing on in general (arm ratings)?
Old 02-28-2005, 01:30 AM   #203
MVP

WatchdogXC's Arena

OVR: 15

I've stolen mainly against the AL Central Division since I've played those teams a lot. I don't know what to tell you. Did you put the steal delay to -4 or whatever it was like Pared's sliders are? I guess I just get a feel for when to go and can tell when I've gotten a good jump. I'd say I've stolen it successfully 3 times out of 4 so far but have benefited from some less than spectacular throws.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:35 AM   #204
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchdogXC
I've stolen mainly against the AL Central Division since I've played those teams a lot. I don't know what to tell you. Did you put the steal delay to -4 or whatever it was like Pared's sliders are? I guess I just get a feel for when to go and can tell when I've gotten a good jump. I'd say I've stolen it successfully 3 times out of 4 so far but have benefited from some less than spectacular throws.
Yeah, I have the steal delay at -4. I'm guessing that the "less than spectacular throws" is the difference between your experience and mine. Although Varitek doesn't have a cannon of an arm, all of his throws have been absolutely perfect. That is probably the issue, then... but given that there is no way to adjust the throw accuracy for just the catcher, I can't fix it. I'll have to play around against other catchers and see what I can come up with as well.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:04 AM   #205
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_T
Yeah, I have the steal delay at -4. I'm guessing that the "less than spectacular throws" is the difference between your experience and mine. Although Varitek doesn't have a cannon of an arm, all of his throws have been absolutely perfect. That is probably the issue, then... but given that there is no way to adjust the throw accuracy for just the catcher, I can't fix it. I'll have to play around against other catchers and see what I can come up with as well.
Swing but miss the pitch... it will distrupt the catcher sometimes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2005, 02:49 AM   #206
Rookie

drustrk3's Arena

OVR: 4

Im sure its been mentioned already. But if anyone is having trouble with steals really try to predict an off speed pitch according to the count or patterns. If the pitcher just pounded in two fastballs theres a solid chance hes going off speed.

Also just an observation, but the computer really picks the right times to steal on me. I've been run on with a 3-2 count on a few occasions regardless of the speed of the runners(once even a double steal). I love that and its so realistic. There are so many little things that baseball fans will notice.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:56 AM   #207
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drustrk3
Im sure its been mentioned already. But if anyone is having trouble with steals really try to predict an off speed pitch according to the count or patterns. If the pitcher just pounded in two fastballs theres a solid chance hes going off speed.

Also just an observation, but the computer really picks the right times to steal on me. I've been run on with a 3-2 count on a few occasions regardless of the speed of the runners(once even a double steal). I love that and its so realistic. There are so many little things that baseball fans will notice.
Stupid question of the day: When I steal, I take a 2-step lead from the base, and pre-program the steal with the directional pad. Is there a way to manually make the runner go instead, possibly earlier?
Old 02-28-2005, 09:07 AM   #208
W*nn*b* *S St*ff

x94blair33's Arena

OVR: 3

Just some feedback on what I've seen with your sliders so far. The pitching and batting seems solid. I may need to tinker with human pitching. I'm playing as the Tigers and I'm 4 games into a dynasty:

lose 2-1, win 2-1, win 5-0 (shutout by Maroth), and win 5-2.

Admittedly I played the first three against the Royals and the last against the Indians but they probably should have scored a bit more.

Things I'm impressed with in batting:
They don't crush every mistake pitch (last year was tough for that).
The hits are all over and when you pull a quality pitch and belt it for a homerun you can just tell it was a combination of swing, location & timing...very rewarding!

Things I'm impressed with while pitching:
Meter is definately harder this year.
Variable strike zone. Sometimes I'm left going "what?!..how is that a strike!??!"...just like a Major Leaguer must feel.
You can tell the guys with nastier stuff, pitching with German or Farnsworth is different than trying to finesse with Maroth.

Possible hitting and pitching slider issues (since switching from default allstar to sliders):
- The CPU seems a little weak in the hitting area. I don't really see from the # tweaks how they should be affected but it seems like it. I'll have a better idea once I get through the rotation 2-3 times.
- The dreaded popfly foul ball outs seem to be back in force. Out of the box I was pleased to see less of them. Unfortunately, tweaking the foul balls appears to have done more to increase foul ball outs than total foul balls. I am playing at Comerica which has a good sized foul territory, but it's overkill.

Other potential issues:
I'm 4 games in and I don't think I've seen a steal or a hit and run yet. Again, it could be the teams I'm playing. I can't vouch for SB attempts of my own because (@%(@&% Sanchez can't get on base..haha.

Things I'd like addressed (either next year or via mod's/sliders):
More foul balls that are just fouls.
The ability to bust a pitch down the middle of the plate and freeze the batter...sometimes EA...they're just going to take a pitch...

All in all the game was phenominal out of the box and the sliders appear to be improving it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MVP MLB Baseball > MVP Baseball Sliders »