Home

Onyx Lebron vs Onyx Dr. J

This is a discussion on Onyx Lebron vs Onyx Dr. J within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-21-2015, 12:30 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Onyx Lebron vs Onyx Dr. J

Since the other thread Jordan vs T-Mac was a hit, here's another one. Have heard Dr. J is better than Lebron and the stats show it. The gold Lebron is pretty damn good and I have 475k right now but 500 random jerseys/playbooks/coaches to sell and may get to 675 by mid next week. How much better is Dr. J than Lebron?

Most people say Lebron gold is good enough but is Dr. J that much better than Onyx Lebron? I probably won't pull a PD Lebron so won't hope for that and will play both at SF.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2015, 12:56 PM   #2
Banned

Re: Onyx Lebron vs Onyx Dr. J

nah. Dr J isnt better than LBJ imo. LBJ is just an absolute brute and his value comes on the defensive end. It also seems as though he is more consistent from behind the arc. I know LBJ is gonna knock down the jumper if he is open without giving it a second thought. conversely, Dr J seems consistent *enough*. Like i dont know if he will knock it down or not but im shooting anyway because he can hit that shot.

With all of that said, I like Dr J more because he has a defined role. LBJ is far too ball dominant for how i like to play. Meaning, i like to play a traditional style with a real PG. LBJ takes that away from them and makes them a spot up shooter and i'd rather my PG run the show and my wing players be the play makers/get the buckets with my PG being able to hit the occasional jumper if and when open. And as far as im concerned, for the actual SF role -- if you have a main scorer(i have ruby MJ) -- he plays off of the main scorer better than anybody. I consistently get double digits with him w/o actually going out and looking for his shots.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:06 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenesaispas
nah. Dr J isnt better than LBJ imo. LBJ is just an absolute brute and his value comes on the defensive end. It also seems as though he is more consistent from behind the arc. I know LBJ is gonna knock down the jumper if he is open without giving it a second thought. conversely, Dr J seems consistent *enough*. Like i dont know if he will knock it down or not but im shooting anyway because he can hit that shot.

With all of that said, I like Dr J more because he has a defined role. LBJ is far too ball dominant for how i like to play. Meaning, i like to play a traditional style with a real PG. LBJ takes that away from them and makes them a spot up shooter and i'd rather my PG run the show and my wing players be the play makers/get the buckets with my PG being able to hit the occasional jumper if and when open. And as far as im concerned, for the actual SF role -- if you have a main scorer(i have ruby MJ) -- he plays off of the main scorer better than anybody. I consistently get double digits with him w/o actually going out and looking for his shots.
I go;

PG: T-Mac/Saph Oscar
SG: 90-91 Jordan/Saph Nique
SF: Diamond Durant/Lebron
PF: Saph Russell/Ruby KG
C: Saph Hakeem/Saph Wilt

Will probably get Lebron then. Love his gold, figure his Onyx is just on roids.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:08 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tons28
I go;

PG: T-Mac/Saph Oscar
SG: 90-91 Jordan/Saph Nique
SF: Diamond Durant/Lebron
PF: Saph Russell/Ruby KG
C: Saph Hakeem/Saph Wilt

Will probably get Lebron then. Love his gold, figure his Onyx is just on roids.
nah. onyx isnt worth the extra 400k. i still have the gold and ive played against the onyx with him and he held his own.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:38 PM   #5
Pro

roboas's Arena

I have both: I've had Onyx LBJ since he came out, and I picked up Onyx Dr. J this past thursday, so I have a lot more experience with the former. I also have most of the other top players in the game and used to run with gold Dr. J, so I think I have the requisite experience to make this call:

Onyx LBJ hands down.

Here's the Pros and Cons of each:

LBJ Pros:
1. Phenomenal ball handler and passer. He rarely turns it over and can fight thru traffic while still dishing out accurate passes. This adds points to your team and adds flexibility with a second PG on the court.
2. Both Floor General and Defensive Anchor. Only players I know with both are a handful of PGs and 92 Pippen, so not only are you getting one of the best players in the game, you're boosting up the people around him as well.
3. Best finisher in the game. He will score in traffic almost all of the time. Only other guy I know with this kind of ability is Onyx Vince and possibly Ruby Kobe. If I am down by 2 or less on the final posession, I'm giving it to lebron to drive off of a pick and I know it's going to work, or he'll pass out of a triple team.
4. Lock down D. Underappreciated because you rarely see people test him out. His size and speed will shut down anyone 1-3 and most 4s. Perfect matchup against Ruby Klay cheesers.

Cons:
1. 3-point animation is a little tricky even when he's wide open. Its like a fan that opens up backward and there is little ball movement to judge the release on. Its easier in the corners where you can get a sideways view of his body movement, but if he's at the top of the key, you can't really judge well.
2. His cold spots really are cold spots. And that one at the 3pt line seems to be where he likes to hang out and is usually wide open, so it takes discipline not to take that shot.

Onyx Dr. J Pros:
1. Dunks with authority over almost anyone. I think he's a better finisher than ruby Jordan, and his annimations are incredible.
2. Has the common sense to run down the floor on the fast break. This might seem like everyone should be doing it, but I've noticed that the frequency and speed that he gets down the court with enables him to get oops or lobs with consistency.
3. More green releases from mid-range than any other player.
4. Above average 3 ball. His standing release is easy and he drills it from downtown when uncontested.
5. Lots of blocks and rebounds. His vertical and quickness on D make him more than just an on-ball defender.

Cons:
1. Size. If he's going against KD / LBJ / Melo, he's going to have a tough time contesting a hot 3-pt shooter.
2. Isn't as "slippery" on the drive as other rim attackers are. I found this most surprising, because others like AI or Vince just blow by defenders, but Dr J needs an angle to get into the lane.
3. Plays the most demanding position on the floor and isn't the most versatile defender. Perhaps he's a better SG, but lots of people would rather have MJ or a shooter there, so he doesn't fit into every lineup.

Side by side, I would have to go with Onyx LBJ. He doesn't need to have a single play called for him but he's going to make a difference just being on the court. If he needs to take over a game he can, but he doesn't need to to be effective. Dr J can put up a ton of points and is a blast to use, but he can also have some downside on defense and isn't as versatile on offense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2015, 02:22 PM   #6
Banned

Ya LBJ is better but just stick with the gold one, Onyx one isnt really worth 400K for a few modest upgrades
Old 03-23-2015, 08:32 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboas
I have both: I've had Onyx LBJ since he came out, and I picked up Onyx Dr. J this past thursday, so I have a lot more experience with the former. I also have most of the other top players in the game and used to run with gold Dr. J, so I think I have the requisite experience to make this call:

Onyx LBJ hands down.

Here's the Pros and Cons of each:

LBJ Pros:
1. Phenomenal ball handler and passer. He rarely turns it over and can fight thru traffic while still dishing out accurate passes. This adds points to your team and adds flexibility with a second PG on the court.
2. Both Floor General and Defensive Anchor. Only players I know with both are a handful of PGs and 92 Pippen, so not only are you getting one of the best players in the game, you're boosting up the people around him as well.
3. Best finisher in the game. He will score in traffic almost all of the time. Only other guy I know with this kind of ability is Onyx Vince and possibly Ruby Kobe. If I am down by 2 or less on the final posession, I'm giving it to lebron to drive off of a pick and I know it's going to work, or he'll pass out of a triple team.
4. Lock down D. Underappreciated because you rarely see people test him out. His size and speed will shut down anyone 1-3 and most 4s. Perfect matchup against Ruby Klay cheesers.

Cons:
1. 3-point animation is a little tricky even when he's wide open. Its like a fan that opens up backward and there is little ball movement to judge the release on. Its easier in the corners where you can get a sideways view of his body movement, but if he's at the top of the key, you can't really judge well.
2. His cold spots really are cold spots. And that one at the 3pt line seems to be where he likes to hang out and is usually wide open, so it takes discipline not to take that shot.

Onyx Dr. J Pros:
1. Dunks with authority over almost anyone. I think he's a better finisher than ruby Jordan, and his annimations are incredible.
2. Has the common sense to run down the floor on the fast break. This might seem like everyone should be doing it, but I've noticed that the frequency and speed that he gets down the court with enables him to get oops or lobs with consistency.
3. More green releases from mid-range than any other player.
4. Above average 3 ball. His standing release is easy and he drills it from downtown when uncontested.
5. Lots of blocks and rebounds. His vertical and quickness on D make him more than just an on-ball defender.

Cons:
1. Size. If he's going against KD / LBJ / Melo, he's going to have a tough time contesting a hot 3-pt shooter.
2. Isn't as "slippery" on the drive as other rim attackers are. I found this most surprising, because others like AI or Vince just blow by defenders, but Dr J needs an angle to get into the lane.
3. Plays the most demanding position on the floor and isn't the most versatile defender. Perhaps he's a better SG, but lots of people would rather have MJ or a shooter there, so he doesn't fit into every lineup.

Side by side, I would have to go with Onyx LBJ. He doesn't need to have a single play called for him but he's going to make a difference just being on the court. If he needs to take over a game he can, but he doesn't need to to be effective. Dr J can put up a ton of points and is a blast to use, but he can also have some downside on defense and isn't as versatile on offense.
Went with Onyx Lebron. The guy is unreal on D and attacking the rim.

I see why people say stay with Gold Lebron but he's much faster, better on D and attacks the rim for scores/rebounds much better. One on Ones with him are hard to defend. I don't understand how Both T-Mac and him are better than Jordan but whatever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »