Home

Just your average RTTP game?

This is a discussion on Just your average RTTP game? within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-03-2015, 08:18 AM   #49
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Just your average RTTP game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by messiahcomplex
Or you concentrate your efforts on closer, higher percentage shots. I shoot 3s to open up my midrange game. I rarely take more than 10 a game. I dont need to. Make 3, the guy buys pump fakes for the rest of the game and i get wide open 15' jumpers. This is optimal basketball at any level of the game.
Hmm. Three point shots are actually higher %. That's why teams in the nba are getting more about "3 and the key". The corner 3 is the second highest % shot in the game.

Midrange is heavily frowned upon in pro ball, especially the nba... although personally I love it.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:25 AM   #50
MVP

Yes in myteam everyone takes optimal wide open threes from the corner after plays and screens and swinging the ball, against organised defense most of the times (as the opponent scores 70% of their possesion). And they acchieve that is less that 10 seconds per average. Meaning for every 15 seconds offense they have a 5 second one organised with plays, picks, swinging the ball. Sim.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:57 AM   #51
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGSW
Hmm. Three point shots are actually higher %. That's why teams in the nba are getting more about "3 and the key". The corner 3 is the second highest % shot in the game.

Midrange is heavily frowned upon in pro ball, especially the nba... although personally I love it.
man stop. midrange is not heavily frowned upon. midrange just isnt shot anymore because offense has become either the 3-ball or the dunk. and THAT is heavily frowned upon. At no point in life is a shot further away from the basket a higher % shot than a shot 8 feet closer. smh
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2015, 09:50 AM   #52
MVP

Messiah complex in pro basket probably Kobe and MJ that based their game in midrange shoots were frownd upon... They didn't play sim.
Anyway...
it is a common issue in most gaming communities. There are type of players that wants the opponent to play the game their way. The "sim" way.
Thing is there is no valid way you can define "sim" in a game. Funniest thing of this is that they look down on people doing certain things like playing LBJ at pg (which is stretchy to be fair) but at the same time they will try to convince you that having players running the court and shoot 3s the whole game under 9 seconds of average offense is sim.
It is hypocritic. It is only effective after the patch has overpowered the 3 point shot. you were not seeing this before the patch

Even if playing with super play, leaving Carmelo in the corner wide open he would NEVER shoot 9/10 as his pink diamond card would do in the game.
Let alone doing this after a 9 second offense on average.
Again, I am not accusing anyone who does that of cheesing.I do not enjoy this style of play and I do not use it.

It is 2k who messed up on this and people just play to win in a competitive game.I generally do not accept the word cheese but only when someone really cheats by doing something the other player can't do. I don't remember who posted the below but I thik is great
http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win

But for me is absurd when someone tries to "school" you how to play the "sim" way but he finds in normal and sim to shoot 20-30 3 points per game with overpowered cards. You would not be shooting 30 3 points with Rubio insetad of PD Melo right pre-patch right? So it is not only how you play but ALSO who you play with.

PS. By the way I would find it very embarrassing and low to tell to someone that I know nothing about that I am trying to "school them" It is definitely out of my culture and educational level.Could be that in some other countries it is used,but we would find this expression totally insulting. That being said Mike I prefer not to continue this discussion.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:07 AM   #53
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabamaru

But for me is absurd when someone tries to "school" you how to play the "sim" way but he finds in normal and sim to shoot 20-30 3 points per game with overpowered cards. You would not be shooting 30 3 points with Rubio insetad of PD Melo right pre-patch right? So it is not only how you play but ALSO who you play with.

PS. By the way I would find it very embarrassing and low to tell to someone that I know nothing about that I am trying to "school them" It is definitely out of my culture and educational level.Could be that in some other countries it is used,but we would find this expression totally insulting. That being said Mike I prefer not to continue this discussion.
ppl shot 30 3-balls with jimmer/anthony morrow in lower seeds.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #54
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by messiahcomplex
man stop. midrange is not heavily frowned upon. midrange just isnt shot anymore because offense has become either the 3-ball or the dunk. and THAT is heavily frowned upon. At no point in life is a shot further away from the basket a higher % shot than a shot 8 feet closer. smh
I love the midrange game personally but what you are saying is wrong. You have been misinformed. Since advanced analytics came along the game has changed. A lot of teams (Houston are the best example) absolutely hate mid range shots and they focus on the "3 and key" theory. Where the majority of a teams shots should come from the 3 or lay ups/close shots. About 1 of every 16 of NBA field goal attempts is a corner 3. Whether you think this is the best strategy is totally up for debate but it's real nonetheless.

And statistically the corner 3 is the highest % shot aside from layups/dunks. Google it. Read up on it. This is fact.

If we have the same number of shots and you shoot 50% from mid range. I only have to shoot 33% from deep to match it. Basic math. Some teams still prefer the mid range game (thank god, I love it). But it is becoming more and more frowned upon and seen as "inefficient"

I'll quote an article for you and leave some links you can browse.

Quote:

During the 2012-13 season, the average three-pointer went in the basket 35.9% of the time, which means that on average it’s worth 1.08 points per shot (35.9% x 3 points). Three-point production peaks at the corners, where the distance is the shortest at 22 feet and the average success is 0.393 (1.18 points) on the right side and 0.386 (1.16 points) on the left side.

The average mid-range shot goes in an of 39.4% of the time, which makes it worth an average of 0.79 point per shot (39.4% x 2 points). The average shot around the basket goes in around 55.6% of the time making it worth around 1.11 points per shot (55.6% x 2 points).

Based on field goal percentages, the optimal strategy is to mix in shots from 3-point range with shots in the paint and avoid the mid-range jumper as this will maximize points per attempt. This has started to be ingrained into the game and optimized in team strategies as illustrated by the continual rise in 3-point attempts per game

http://www.sportingcharts.com/articl...3-pointer.aspx

http://www.vantagesports.com/#story/...e-corner-three

http://www.basketballanalyticsbook.c...tically-savvy/
Old 04-03-2015, 11:35 AM   #55
Pro

Readysetdiego's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGSW
Exactly. You made 5 shots not 9. I said you made less than 9 and you did.

My point was if you're only making 5 threes per game either your spacing sucks (thats just bad basketball) or the person you were playing is terrible at defending in the paint.

And again it's about how you play not who you play with. You don't know what sim is. You don't understand it. Which is fine but at least have the respect to listen to someone when they're schooling you.

If I take 20 three point shots per game, and those shots were the best available shots on those possessions and we're a result of weak side ball movement, pick and rolls or whatever then that's perfectly legit. If I take 20 three point shots per game and they were forced shots from zig zag threes that's cheese.

If I take smart shots and play realistically using PD Melo and drop 30 points as a result. That's fine. That's sim. You were playing smart and playing realistic.

If I drop 15 points with silver LaVine using baseline dunk cheese, that's not legit. It's not okay. It's not sim.

Oh and you don't need to be running plays in 9 second offenses. How young are you? Were you a little kid when the "7 seconds or less" Suns were around? Ball movement.

It doesn't matter what player you use its how you use them. This isn't opinion. It's fact.

Also the first picture in this thread IS NOT FROM MyTeam. It's fake. In MyTeam you cannot name your team orlando. It's impossible. You can only name them florida. That screen shot was from a quick game. Not MyTeam. So the entire thread is B.S
It actually is from MyTeam.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2015, 12:04 PM   #56
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readysetdiego
It actually is from MyTeam.
Then how did they get Orlando as a location? I was certain you could only choose florida?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »