Home

What are your 3 Gold players for challenges?

This is a discussion on What are your 3 Gold players for challenges? within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-29-2015, 04:52 PM   #25
QNo
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: What are your 3 Gold players for challenges?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryl
My 3 Gold lineup, post-market-crash, became Lebron at PG (don't have any qualms about cheesing the CPU), Durant at SF (abusing other SFs with PFAs and hitting threes), and Howard at C. LBJ and KD handle all the scoring I need, so I round out my starting lineup with Jimmy Butler at SG and Boris Diaw at PF, for defense.

When my KD got injured, I switched to LBJ at PG, Kevin Love at PF, and Howard at C. Butler at SG and Luol Deng at SF. Love is still well above average at PFA, crack shot at mid-range, and is a boards like crazy.

I have mixed feelings about Howard at C. Love his defense and rebounding and relative speed, of course. But hate his horrendous jump-shooting and unreliable free-throw shooting. Only way to score reliably with him is to dunk, which isn't necessarily hard but it's infuriating to have him miss 3-foot jumpers.

I think if one wants to maximize the value of those 3 Gold spots, an argument could be made for not using it on a Center, as there are good Silver Centers in Bogut, Chandler, DeAndre Jordan, Hibbert, et al. The disparity between best Silver and best Gold at the other positions is probably higher.
Yeah that argument could definitely be made. I like having a top C on the court though, that's probably at least in part psychological. When you play him you need to play a 4-1 and run PnRs with LeBron. He'll catch tons of lobs and clean up on D, especially against somebody like Hakeem in the 2BG challenge. The other 3 silvers on the court are role-players, 3 and D guys. Melo or PG13 is my scorer off the bench. I don't see the point of having more than one great scorer on the court, as long as your other guys can hit open shots you're good. Might be a matter of preference.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2015, 05:16 PM   #26
Pro

Readysetdiego's Arena

The 88 overall Dr J kills it for me. Dropped 45 pts in 15 mins with him coming off the bench in one of the challenges. Once he catches fire (1 or 2 rings) he can shoot jumps like nothing.

He carries my bench and torches anyone when he gets hot.

Melo as a stretch 4 / post player murders, and ofc LeBron can do it all like always.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:49 PM   #27
Banned

Webbie2689's Arena

LBJ, CP3 and Duncan.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:50 PM   #28
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by QNo
Might be a matter of preference.
I have the same tendency to feel the need to use a Gold spot for Center. Used Eaton and Parish all through Domination and specifically picked up Howard to have what I felt would be optimal "3 Gold" Center.

Thanks for the P'n'R tip...reminds me that I have noticed how nutty strong he finishes when I have happened to catch him with a pass as he rolls to the basket, undefended, after setting a pick. Are you chucking alley-oop lobs to him from P'n'R two-man sets with Lebron? Or just simply Y-button lobs to get the ball up and over to him when he rolls to the basket?

Another Gold Center I happen to get recently was 1993 Otis Thorpe, when I was one of many thinking we'd need Rockets for the Yao Ming Challenge. Looks like he offers some intriguing trade-offs when compared to Howard, and I might as well try him out, considering I probably paid a good 500+ MT more than I should have, for him.

Otherwise, my favorite Center, from what I have is an Onyx Willis Reed, who is extremely effective, all-around for me, despite being undersized. Bought him impetuously because I thought I was getting a little bit of a bargain but now thinking he's too much of a luxury for me to keep.

I agree with your philosophy that it's about having one go-to scorer on the court. Should probably emphasize that more and favor defense over offense in other positions.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:16 PM   #29
QNo
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryl
I have the same tendency to feel the need to use a Gold spot for Center. Used Eaton and Parish all through Domination and specifically picked up Howard to have what I felt would be optimal "3 Gold" Center.

Thanks for the P'n'R tip...reminds me that I have noticed how nutty strong he finishes when I have happened to catch him with a pass as he rolls to the basket, undefended, after setting a pick. Are you chucking alley-oop lobs to him from P'n'R two-man sets with Lebron? Or just simply Y-button lobs to get the ball up and over to him when he rolls to the basket?

Another Gold Center I happen to get recently was 1993 Otis Thorpe, when I was one of many thinking we'd need Rockets for the Yao Ming Challenge. Looks like he offers some intriguing trade-offs when compared to Howard, and I might as well try him out, considering I probably paid a good 500+ MT more than I should have, for him.

Otherwise, my favorite Center, from what I have is an Onyx Willis Reed, who is extremely effective, all-around for me, despite being undersized. Bought him impetuously because I thought I was getting a little bit of a bargain but now thinking he's too much of a luxury for me to keep.

I agree with your philosophy that it's about having one go-to scorer on the court. Should probably emphasize that more and favor defense over offense in other positions.
I let D12 set a pick and then read the defense, if Howard rolls to the basket you often get an open alley-oop. Ruby Dawkins is like Howard on steroids, by the way. Never tried Reed, I shy a way from undersized guys with few badges. Send me a PM if you wanna play sometime
Old 04-29-2015, 08:27 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Silver DeAndre Jordan and Silver Darryl Dawkins are so dominant on the glass and in the air that it seems like a waste to use a gold on a center unless you just want someone to spam post moves with. The only thing those two cards lack is a post-up game.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:41 PM   #31
QNo
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
Silver DeAndre Jordan and Silver Darryl Dawkins are so dominant on the glass and in the air that it seems like a waste to use a gold on a center unless you just want someone to spam post moves with. The only thing those two cards lack is a post-up game.
I agree for lower-difficulty challenges, but I need a better C for the HoF challenges. The number of lobs you can complete is much smaller and elite post-guys will have a field day in the paint against my Darryl.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2015, 10:10 PM   #32
Banned

My 3 golds are lbj at the point, 92-93 mj at sg and Kevin durant at sf.

Will replace durant soon when I pick up another better gold. Had Ewing over durant but I'm trying to sell him now

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »