Home

LeBron at PG?!

This is a discussion on LeBron at PG?! within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-11-2015, 09:01 PM   #9
QNo
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: LeBron at PG?!

I've got LBJ on my bench just so I can sub him in at PG when my opponents do. Oscar does fine as long as they don't muscle-zig-zag their way into the paint every possession, he's not strong enough to guard that.

And LBJ is really not a PG at all, me and a few others had this discussion with someone else here. Magic would probably play the 4 nowadays, not athletic enough for other positions.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:23 PM   #10
MVP

Qno
you know I respect you and we agree on many things.

If we really want to specify the exact position of LBJ would be a point forward.

In the actual game he takes all PG main responsibilites like running the plays, hell he even shows to his teammates where they should stand.

What he doesn't do is to carry the ball foul court and defense against opponent PG.

It is a matter of definition really and not of subject. I have myself played as PG all my life (I am 6'0'' and 34 yo)

In europe we don't usually use the term PG but we call it play-maker. LBJ is definitely the Play maker for ever team he played, no mater if he carries the ball or not. He is the offensive creator for every team.

But again, I think we are talking about definition rather than subtance.

You can not claim that LBJ is an off-ball guard. He NEED the ball to create for himself or the teammates.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:41 PM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabamaru
Basketball wise, LBJ real position on the court is of PG.
HE runs the offense in Cavs and Heat for as long as I remember.He played as PG in the whole 4th quarter yesterday. He plays at SF for two key reasons.

a) it is just too tiring to curry the ball full court all game long, trying to protect it from smaller quicker more agile players.LBJ would get really tired, would turnover the ball more.

b) He wouldn't be able to cope in defense trying to chase aroung players like Paul.

All these however are due to the fact that basketball changes.

Make no mistake there.Magic would not be able to play as a PG in modern basketball too.

LBJ has better passing abilities and vision than more of 90% of NBA's PG.

Due to weight he lucks in agility and due to height to ball control.

It is true that due to height people are doing it to exploit the height mismatch.

But it is more or less what happens with Yao too. No?
Were not watching the same thing then Matthew Dellavedova and Irving both were on the floor running point for the cavs. Towards the end of the game LBJ took over due to the lack of offense by his teammates but was never the point. They keep real pgs out there because LeBron has been a turnover machine in the postseason. LeBron is a good and willing passer, but his vision is not a high as your making it. Compared to top PGs like curry, LeBron's quickness off the dribble and dribbling is average as well. To get the basket he uses his strength which was not the case for magic in his younger years. For his size he is amazing, but initiating an offense set doesn't make you a point guard
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2015, 09:57 PM   #12
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by start it up
but initiating an offense set doesn't make you a point guard
That is why I say this is a definition issue and not a basketball. For me this is what makes you a play-maker/point guard

When Irving and Jr were playing with LBJ (or even delavedova) in the whole 4th quarter's Kyrie was playing as a SG and JR as a SF. Lebron was running the show. He was the on-ball guard, Kyrie and the rest were off-ball.

He run the offenses, he took the decisions, he was the playmaker whatever label we want to put on him.

Basketball is a position rotating sport. Players are not screwed to one position
Old 05-11-2015, 10:14 PM   #13
MVP

Again I will repeat that even if he runs the offense he would really need another ballhandler simultaneously to avoid turnovers and fatigue due to poorhandling. But again to me this is just a definition. Kyrie in my mind will never be a play maker. Sure he is better ballhandler than lbj, he is faster but creates only for himself. It is a never-ending discussion. I think we both understand what the other suggests even if we don't agree
Old 05-11-2015, 10:30 PM   #14
Pro

yungsta404's Arena

its annoying this is why I keep magic at point guard at all time. In nba 2k16 you should only be able to put players in their primary and secondary position.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:06 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 9

I don't see anything wrong with playing Lebron at PG.. He's a good ball handler, has great vision, is superbly accurate and has high basketball IQ.. He's just a bigger, faster, stronger and more skilled Magic (outside of playmaking and ball handling) or Penny..

With regards to him needing a secondary ball handler to avoid fatigue or to prevent a ton of turnovers, that is only helpful (not necessary) because of all of the responsibility he shoulders as well as his age (in the back end of his prime/declining athleticism).. The guy has to run the offense, serve as the primary scorer, contribute on the boards and often guard the other team's best perimeter guys (not as much as he use to and he's declined some on defense, but I digress) and generally make plays on defense.. So he's expending a ton of energy due to his contributions across the board.. So yes, if he's serving as the primary ball-handler and walking up the ball up-court and running the offense, he may turn the ball over a bit more than usual or become fatigued.. But this is due to his overall responsibility to his team and not an inability to play point guard..

If he decreased his role and responsibility and served as the team's point guard and left most of the scoring to Kyrie, the defense to shumpert, rebounding to thompson and etc and primarily focused on playing point guard, he would probably be the 1st or 2nd best Pg in the league..

Also, I don't see what the big deal is regarding positions.. If players want to create advantages based on their line-ups, there's nothing wrong with that.. Most of the fun of this mode is in the ability to create your own team with your favorite players or line-ups and etc. Basically, the ability to play mad scientist.. Why should they adhere to traditional positions when they can create line-ups that are fun AND effective (based on their particular playing style). The NBA is moving in a position less direction anyway.. With small ball 4s (who are basically sfs) or power forwards that can run offenses (Blake Griffin) and etc..

Last edited by firerises; 05-12-2015 at 02:12 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2015, 08:37 AM   #16
Rookie

LeBron can play all 5 positions on the court in real life so I don't see why people complain about it happening in NBA 2K15. Also taking away peoples ability to run a all 7FT line-up would damper the magic they've created with MyTEAM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »