Home

2K16 MUST counter double team cheese

This is a discussion on 2K16 MUST counter double team cheese within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2015, 07:45 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
2K16 MUST counter double team cheese

From all cheesing of the game in my oppinion it is the worst. Especially when employed in combination with zone.
Defenders run like crazy 9without ever tiring) your player throws passes to nowhere even when defenders are not close to him yet, and what is worse is that your cpu teammates do not space the floor enough to receive the pass even when you play 4 out 1 in and space the floor.

Double team is used only in limited situations in real basketball, mostly to get the ball out of a specific player and let's face it, does not effect passing ability when the defenders are not even close.

Most times you can counter it, with 4 out 1 in and iconic passing but still.

Most disturbing part is that this is not a basketball game anymore. Seems more like a platform game. Defenders run like mad, you try to avoid them.

I bet anyone who has played a full game like this has been exhuasted afterwards. Hell I quit a game in seed one when I was 9-1, with score at 8-6 in 1st period just because I didn't want to play this type of game AGAIN.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2015, 09:16 AM   #2
Pro

Re: 2K16 MUST counter double team cheese

Meh, this is pretty easy to counter since you can see them coming from a mile away, 2 or 3 smart passes and you have an open shot/dunk. Especially when they do it every possession, just walk slowly up court to let your teammates get in position (so they're not moving when you pass). At that point the double team will already be waiting at or close to halfcourt and you can either blow by them or just pass it to the wing and next to the open man.

I much rather play against this type of cheeser than the ones who just zigzag and/or spam dribble moves until you get sucked into an animation from one of their (moving) screens. That being said they do need to address contextual passing but double teams haven't really given me much of a problem in that regard. You just have to get yourself in a position where you have a clear passing lane.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:56 PM   #3
Rookie

jattnanga's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bonium
Meh, this is pretty easy to counter since you can see them coming from a mile away, 2 or 3 smart passes and you have an open shot/dunk. Especially when they do it every possession, just walk slowly up court to let your teammates get in position (so they're not moving when you pass). At that point the double team will already be waiting at or close to halfcourt and you can either blow by them or just pass it to the wing and next to the open man.

I much rather play against this type of cheeser than the ones who just zigzag and/or spam dribble moves until you get sucked into an animation from one of their (moving) screens. That being said they do need to address contextual passing but double teams haven't really given me much of a problem in that regard. You just have to get yourself in a position where you have a clear passing lane.
^ This.

Another thing that helps when you walk, or somewhat deliberately advance the ball, is to make the first pass just before half-court, even if that pass is to the trailing man who inbounded the ball as he approaches half-court. That will counter their first double and leave the weakside open.

I've had the most success with the swing freelance because it always gives a corner option once you reverse the ball and then he's got a 3, attack of a closeout or quick pass to the post for a dunk/layup or if he's covered the passer will speed cut baseline and you might have him under the rim for a layup.

- Ricky Rubio quoting Magic Johnson
Old 08-14-2015, 08:38 PM   #4
Pro

I should add that i do agree it's annoying though since it makes you play in a way you don't necessarily want to. Personally, i'm not big on using plays but sometimes i want to try some and obviously when you're opponent is doing the constant double team it keeps you from doing that. I can't even really play my normal offense (mostly very basic drive and kick) against it.

So i do understand the annoyance of it, i just don't see how they can take it out. We just need better movement and smarter ai. Seeing your teammates bunched up together gets old pretty quick as well as nobody freeing themselves up to receive the pass when you get trapped/doubled unexpectedly or have to pick up your dribble for whatever reason. But as always asking for smarter ai is, understandably, a tall order.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:17 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 9

All 2K has to do is make your teammates realize you are being double teamed. Many times the guy that they are doubling off of will cut to the basket with a terrible angle, turn his back, etc it turns into a very dangerous pass to make.

If they would simply maintain spacing and stand facing you, they could catch and shoot or drive. Also, you shouldn't just throw the ball way out of bounds to a teammate thats completely wide open, especially with elite passers. Way too many passes like that happen which encourage the double team cheese.

No one would dare pull double teams for no reason if this were the case. You would never see the double team cheese again.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2015, 09:33 AM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Smoove
All 2K has to do is make your teammates realize you are being double teamed. Many times the guy that they are doubling off of will cut to the basket with a terrible angle, turn his back, etc it turns into a very dangerous pass to make.

If they would simply maintain spacing and stand facing you, they could catch and shoot or drive. Also, you shouldn't just throw the ball way out of bounds to a teammate thats completely wide open, especially with elite passers. Way too many passes like that happen which encourage the double team cheese.

No one would dare pull double teams for no reason if this were the case. You would never see the double team cheese again.
Amen to that Chris!
I didn't say that you can't counter. However you can't counter it completely and that yor teammates look plain dumb.

I am just saying that it is completely annoying to play a constant game like this, just trying to run away. This will never happen in a real basketball game , double team for full game. How is this possible in 2k?
Old 08-15-2015, 12:36 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Smoove
Also, you shouldn't just throw the ball way out of bounds to a teammate thats completely wide open, especially with elite passers. Way too many passes like that happen which encourage the double team cheese.

Your suggestions would give the advantage to the player being doubled which should not be the case. Even an elite passer will struggle against a good double team. I admit double teaming maybe overpowered, but thats because players have the stamina to double multiple times a possession. In the Nba players may double, and in rare cases triple team elite players on a constant basis. Ratings related to dbl teaming could help on both the offensive and defensive side.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:45 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabamaru
This will never happen in a real basketball game , double team for full game. How is this possible in 2k?
Lebron, Melo, Westbrook, Blake, etc are doubled on and off for the entire game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »