Home

how do i beat 76ers in domination??

This is a discussion on how do i beat 76ers in domination?? within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-17-2015, 07:24 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: how do i beat 76ers in domination??

Ill 3rd that "muscle memory" comment. Practice makes perfect. My game has improved drastically over the past 2 weeks.

Practice?

Old 11-17-2015, 10:39 PM   #34
QNo
MVP

Old 11-17-2015, 11:09 PM   #35
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrySTruman
On offense, I can do some things without conscious thought...
You have the basics, then. For Domination, all you need to be able to do is to play decent defense (maybe not even that) and be able to run the fast break and P'n'R's. If you can take appropriate lane and pass at the right time during a 2-on-1 fast break and can draw the double team in a P'n'R and hit your roll man, that will carry you through a lot of Domination.

If you can, post some screenshots of your MT summary, Team Comparison, and box score screens. That may shed some light on what you need to work on and what you're doing well.[/quote]

Quote:
(But I often break down if neither of those options is available. I need to learn to kick out for a 3 (a third option) or reset instead of just bulling through.)
Try this at first: just bring your ball handler back up to the top and do it over. Call for the pick again.

Also: when you're playing the CPU and trying to just get your screener open for a dunk, it may help to call for the screen way past the 3 point line to maximize space. Also have him screen on the less populated side of the court. If you play 4-out-1-in and your Center screens for you, then you've got three more teammates out there...2 on one side, 1 on the other. Try to have screener screen on the side with one teammate/defender.

Less help defense on that side, so more apt to draw the double team from the screener and/or from the third defender, in which case you have an open shooter, probably in the corner.

Quote:
On the other hand, I have no muscle memory for calling a quick iso, say. Or "Horford post up." Or for changing my offensive set -- that takes me a whole freaking shot clock! (Ugh: left D pad; R1; R up; R1, R1; R up.) Or for on-the-fly subs: I wish the UI highlighted in green what I'm changing!
I take forever to change offensive sets too. Calling for ISO or post-up will come naturally very soon, though.

And I also find myself totally confused by the games in-game sub menus. I'm okay with timeout sub menus, but am ridiculously slow otherwise. Probably doesn't help that, vs. CPU, I've always just done it after Pausing, in the main menus.

Quote:
On D, I'm good at hitting X for on-ball D and for switching to the hedge man on a PnR, but after that I start to break down. I'll see a guy cut to the basket and I fumble around trying to find the right guy to pick him up. I'll often make things worse by selecting the right guy and not moving him, or moving him in the wrong direction.
I few general tips on D:
1. Don't try to move around while holding L2. Keep L2 down but also hold down Turbo for the Quick Shuffle. For face-up defense. Or patrolling the paint, face-up. You move much more crisply.
2. For post defense, make sure that you can use L2 while resisting the back-down, but as you sense he's getting ready to shoot, get ready to let go of L2 and use Right Stick to contest the shot. Generally speaking, it's better to contest than attempt a block.
3. If you're off-ball freelancing with a wing defender, the one way I can semi-reliably get steals is just paying attention to the screens the CPU is setting for itself, off-ball, and get ready to jump the passing lane. CPU runs a lot of off-ball screens around the baseline for floppy-style action and those are the easiest to anticipate.
4. You only want to use Turbo in conjunction with L2 for Quick Shuffle and when you need to cover a lot of ground. Otherwise, it's generally just going to make you overshoot the mark and just bumble about on skates.

Quote:
All of this comes easier to you younger people who grew up using thumbs! I'm a middle-aged gamer who grew up using mouse/keyboard. Scrolling thru menus with thumbs feels clunky to me.
I'm pretty much in the same boat. Wouldn't say I'm good at 2K, but I'm alright. Keep it up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2015, 02:21 AM   #36
Rookie

HarrySTruman's Arena

QNo and Harry, you've done your good deed for the day: I finally beat somebody, lol, using your tips. But it was only the first Challenge, which I hadn't tried before. It seemed easier, maybe because it's all bench players. But still, it's on Pro, so it wasn't light-years different from Domination.

Harry, your D tips helped a ton. I've been just routinely holding L2 on D and wondering why I was getting so many fouls and, usually, at least one Flagrant foul a game! I was even getting fouls contesting 3-pointers. (NOT a good idea.) Well dang it, this time I tried right stick, and lo and behold, their shooting percentage went down to 42%.

O also went better. My PnR game improved. Actually my PnP game: Love was the Player of the Game with 16 points, almost all of it from midrange or beyond the arc. I won by 8 or 10 points, and it would've been more but for some boneheaded UI-related turnovers. I also made more free throws than usual; glad I turned off that infernal shaking.

I made 700 MT points in the game itself; lots of points for assists and such. Plus 700MT for the reward. Yay!
Old 11-20-2015, 08:07 PM   #37
Rookie

HarrySTruman's Arena

More good news, guys: I thrashed the 76ers in Domination, too, earning all 3 stars and lots of goodies. I got Carl Landry. Does everyone get the same player from the reward pack?

Part of the improvement in my game is my defense. I had been taking all sorts of fouls because I'd been keeping intense-D on routinely on defense, because the manual says intense-D is auto-shot-contest. But, as you point out, right stick contests the shot without fouling nearly so often. This change alone has saved me many points on D.

Also, I have been more aggressive about using fast breaks -- and about finishing with a layup instead of a pull-up jumper. In the past, I'd make my outlet pass, then pass down the court, but then pull up for an open jumper instead of passing to a guy cutting to the basket for a dunk or layup. Open jumpers are great and all, but a layup is more of a sure thing. So in today's game, I resolved to do the full 3-man-weave on my fast breaks, and sure enough, I got more fast break points.

Finally, I think it helped me just to work on shooting a bit. Before this game, I went to Freestyle and just practiced shooting (and posting up) with all 10 of my main guys. I shot over 50% in this game, which is an improvement.

So, on to Orlando!
Old 11-20-2015, 08:50 PM   #38
MVP

Good for you. Just keep plugging away. You'll probably quickly get to the point where things get easy. As you progress through the ladder, opponents will get tougher and you may hit a wall again. Or you may suddenly find it hard to get enough MT. Just keep plugging away, in terms of basic winning of the game, but with MT, look up threads that contain Domination MT generation advice. The same half-dozen or so tips get discussed often.

Though, on that note:
1. Definitely push the fast break. You get +4 MT for Fast Breaks and this will be important. And you want to work the passing on the fast break to have it end in a Layup or Dunk, for +2 or +3 MT, respectively.

2. Definitely never settle for midrange shots or jump shots in general (Post-Fade Jumpers excepted). There's no bonus for jump shots. But Dunks are +3, Layups +2, and Post Move gives you +5 regardless of what sort of shot follows/is the post move. Instead of Pick'n'Pop with Love, for Domination, call a Quick Play for Love to Post Up, then pass to him and quickly do a Post-Fadeaway jumper. That gets you +5 Assist, +5 Post Move in addition to the normal +2 Field Goal.

On Defense, building up habit of using RS for Shot Contest is good. Especially in the paint. You can force a lot of misses in the paint, even vs. elite offensive post players, by just simply eliminating all space between your defender and the shooter and holding your hands up. Doing this by default also means you're not making bad block attempts in reaction to pump fakes. AND staying on the ground until the shot goes up means you're in better position to get the defensive rebound.

And, again, just fast break relentlessly. It's cheesy but Domination and the MT requirements are cheesy, so just abuse fast break on the CPU. Always run. Always pass upcourt aggressively (but be careful of throwing long passes too aggressively with big men with ****ty passing). Seriously just hold down turbo with a fast guy to sprint past defenders. At least if you want to make it easier to finish Domination. Just be aware this is considered cheesy play when you play against other human players.

When you hit the wall, don't sweat it. Just keep plugging away. I had a really tough time with the Lakers and the Jazz, for some reason. But once I got through the first quarter or third of Domination, I just cruised. I, myself, seem to have hit a wall again, but only at the very end, versus the MT All-NBA All-Stars in Historic Domination. And only in the sense of getting enough MT. Winning is still easy.

It takes a while to build up the ability, but if you keep playing, you'll get there.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:36 PM   #39
Rookie

HarrySTruman's Arena

Well, I'm on a bit of a roll: I knocked off the Magic. I did manage to blow a 10-point lead to send the game to overtime before winning by just one, but the overtime just made for more MT points -- 650 or so. Three stars, and the reward was Tobias Harris. I already have Oladipo thanks to MyCareer, so I didn't mind getting a silver.

What's more, my shooting percentage was 65% or so, which, needless to say, is great! I'm getting more easy buckets off fast breaks, and I'm also trying to run plays and PnRs that get me easy layups. Taking fewer 3-point shots. Also had fewer turnovers; I'm getting better about sizing up my options after setting the pick.

My main area of concern remains defense, especially rebounding. Orlando shot 50% from the field, and (most annoying) they had 7 or 8 offensive rebounds to my zero. The 76ers used to do this to me too: kill me with offensive boards and putbacks. I routinely tap X once their shot is up and try to position a big man to box out, but there's so little time to move him once the shot is in the air. I have more luck rebounding if I user a big, but then I no longer contest the outside shot, and contesting those shots reduces the CPUs make rate. Any tips on rebounding?
Old 11-21-2015, 04:49 PM   #40
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

Great relay of information in here.

My 2 pennies to add to the information jar:

1. Gap the PG: I give space to the PG intentionally and set it this way in defensive settings. The purpose is to force quick possessions.. CPU will clank plenty of open shots and you can maneuver off ball to intercept passes and try and double the post

2. Use press and trap defense... the press and trao is good for forcing quick posession...

2. Strive for Bonuses... you get a bonus on your shooting percentage for free throws and 3s but there is a catch: you must attempt a minimum of 10 free throws and a minimum of 5 3's...

Aim for 3 for 5 from 3 and 10 for the 10 from free throw, that's about 150 extra MT you will get off shooting percentage alone... if you include FG% that's another passive 50pts if you get 50% or better... finish with layups and dunks and you will get 65% or more on FG%

It's my first time in the My Team mode and domination has required some unconventional thinking on my part. My attitude becomes to allow quick attempts and to finish in the paint.. my mid range / jump shot game is nearly non existent in Domination... it's all about finishing in the paint and drawing fouls..

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »