Home

Most effective way to stop rolls?

This is a discussion on Most effective way to stop rolls? within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-07-2015, 06:38 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Most effective way to stop rolls?

Pick 'n' rolls are killing in the game. How do you counter? By default your c/pf does a small hedge. What is ICE? I understand hedge out / go under etc but I don't know ICE , probably due to language barrier. Can anyone help? I would my c/pf that wouldn't follow the screener so much and play more deep gambling on a mid range shot.

Last edited by kabamaru; 10-07-2015 at 07:45 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2015, 08:24 PM   #2
QNo
MVP

Re: Most effective way to stop rolls?

Here's ICE, it's basically always forcing baseline and giving up the midrange. Very popular in the NBA. Haven't figured out how to get it to work well in 2k yet, though.

I'm attempting to do what SamPham recommends, go under/soft hedge on everybody, but manually switch to the big as soon as you see the PnR coming.

I really like the idea of running a defensive powerhouse lineup where everybody can switch everything. Something like Kidd/PG13/Kawhi/LBJ/AD. I'm too greedy to pick up the Amethysts yet, though.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:54 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

ICE will force the ball handler to the baseline side of the court, which is a great tactic in the real NBA, but a terrible tactic in NBA 2K16 due to all of the OP baseline driving animations.

I like to defend the P&R in 2K16 by controlling the screener's defender manually and telling the on-ball AI defender to go over the screen.

Also make sure you have your defensive settings to tight on anyone who's a threat to shoot spotting up away from the ball so the AI doesn't mistakenly leave good shooters free.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:37 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 3

Like it was already said, I follow Sam Pham's advice to soft hedge and go under screens (and set the CPU to play tight). I also protect the net, assuming my opponent isn't raining threes on me.

My last opponent was producing much of his offense from pick and rolls so I made this adjustment at halftime and it completely shut it down.

Doing this, you might give up the "pop", but with the recent nerf to mid-range, I rather my opponent take a semi-contested jumper, than have a drive to the hoop and a foul or circus finish.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:58 AM   #5
MVP

Thanks all
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2015, 02:48 AM   #6
Rookie

Do your players have High P&R defense IQ?

Now that I am in the 4th seed, I am having much easier time defending P&Rs with M.Gasol as my C and Kidd as my PG. (Compared to Wall/Valanciunas in lower seeds).

Also, as a player who relies heavily on P&Rs on offense, I had the toughest time against teams with Dwight Howard who has the highest P&R defense IQ among current players.

I am current playing with AUTO individual settings, "Neutral Focus/Physical" team defense settings.

Other things I guess you can do are;

- No Hedging. So your big man won't go high and lose his spot to bump the roll man.
- Switch P&Rs. If you have a fast big man who can defend guards 1v1 (Like Davis), and a strong PG who can defend bigs (like Kidd).
- Bring a 3rd man (one of your bigs) to stop the roll man. (if your opponent isn't spacing the floor well)
Old 10-08-2015, 10:16 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Here's a good example of why you don't want to force the ball handler baseline in NBA 2K16:

Against the CPU teams that do this (1989 Detroit Pistons seem to be one of them), it's basically a free path to the bucket all game. But the ball handler does need to be good at finishing through contact.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:46 PM   #8
QNo
MVP

Crazy dunk, I don't think this works against better defenders though. Carter literally goes through 2 guys on this play. Domination is set to Pro, I don't see this being effective online on Superstar.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »