Home

Amethyst Joe Dumars Attribute Ratings & Badges

This is a discussion on Amethyst Joe Dumars Attribute Ratings & Badges within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-20-2015, 05:49 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Amethyst Joe Dumars Attribute Ratings & Badges

Since Diamond John Stockton is still 700 cards away, Amethyst Joe Dumars is probably the last collector reward card that I'll be able to unlock for a really long time. And I don't think Dumars is worth all the trouble that it takes to get 1,600 cards:

Dumars is too small to be a shooting guard at only 6'3", and he's too slow to be a point guard at just 72 speed and 74 acceleration. His shot release animations and dribbling animations are also pretty slow, which undermines his solid dribbling and shooting ratings. I just don't see much use for this card against the lineups that most people use online.

Even with Dumars' great defensive IQ and lateral quickness, he's not going to be able to guard super fast players like Russell Westbrook, Kyrie Irving, John Wall, Michael Jordan, Vince Carter, et al. And he's not tall enough or strong enough to guard people like LeBron James, Paul George, Kevin Durant, Jimmy Butler, or Kawhi Leonard.

So once again, 2K really should have thought this through and come up with a different reward card that would actually be viable online. My Road to the Playoffs Lineup is still going to be sticking with the preorder Michael Jordan card and the free John Wall/Jason Kidd/Richard Hamilton cards instead of using this Joe Dumars, which shouldn't be the case for a card that takes so much time/effort to acquire.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2015, 06:13 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Amethyst Joe Dumars Attribute Ratings & Badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
Dumars is too small to be a shooting guard at only 6'3", and he's too slow to be a point guard at just 72 speed and 74 acceleration.
Is this different from last year? I think people were touting him as one of the guys to use to put on MJ, last year.

Quote:
My Road to the Playoffs Lineup is still going to be sticking with the preorder Michael Jordan card and the free John Wall/Jason Kidd/Richard Hamilton cards instead of using this Joe Dumars, which shouldn't be the case for a card that takes so much time/effort to acquire.
Why Moments MJ and not the ROTY MJ?
Old 11-20-2015, 06:26 PM   #3
Rookie

Thanks for the review. I'm sitting on 1467 cards right now and wondering if he was worth it. I suppose I'll hold off then
Old 11-20-2015, 06:54 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryl
Is this different from last year? I think people were touting him as one of the guys to use to put on MJ, last year.
I only used Dumars in maybe five or six games last year, and I didn't like him much in 2K15, either, for all the same reasons listed above. But the effect of the speed/acceleration ratings is much more noticable on the court this year. A 70-speed/acceleration guy is going to get obliterated by a 90-speed/acceleration guy in 2K16.

Quote:
Why Moments MJ and not the ROTY MJ?
Because the Moments version only cost me 500 MT and I have almost all of his badges at the gold level plus an added gold dimer and gold bruiser.

Those badges are more important to me than a few minor attribute boosts to offense and defense. Especially when the ROTY version is going to plummet in price once better versions of MJ come out. I might make the upgrade once I can find the ROTY version fully badged for 10,000 MT or so.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:19 PM   #5
MVP

Ah, okay. Makes perfect sense if you badged the Moments MJ out. Agree on ROTY due for a big dive in value (and Moments will drop too) once the more rounded iterations of MJ come out.

Interesting that you put Bruiser on him, but I see the rationale. Dimer makes obvious sense. Third slot is still unused or did you put something there too? Not sure how I should use those three slots. Will consider Bruiser.

What do you think about putting Brick Wall on guards and wings? I have been wondering if it might be really useful, not so much for P'n'R with the ballhandler, but for off-ball screens to spring another guard/wing wide open and ready for the pass to catch and shoot...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2015, 08:51 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Brick wall is definitely a must-have on any player that you regularly use as a screener.

But I only use Jordan as the ball handler, and I don't call plays that have off-ball screens, so I don't have any need to put brick wall on him. He frequently goes to the rim and tries to finish through contact, so that's where the bruiser badge can kick in and tire out the other team during those contact animations. It also activates a lot on defense during contact animations.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:06 PM   #7
MVP

Thanks for the analysis. Never thought about putting Bruiser on a non-big, but it makes sense on someone who's going to make contact drives a lot. And with the MJ's, they are already so heavily badged that the normal anxiety about good badging isn't such a big deal.

Of course, the main issue with applying Bruiser badges is the rarity/cost of them...

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »