Home

What is up with missing open 3's yet contested layups go in?

This is a discussion on What is up with missing open 3's yet contested layups go in? within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-11-2015, 08:53 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: What is up with missing open 3's yet contested layups go in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryl
Using the color tiers as the restriction criteria is stupid. Because the ratings that correspond to the color tiers are essentially arbitrary. And it leads to undervaluing of players that have low OVR for their tier. Silvers in the low 70s and Golds in the low 80s, basically. Which then leads to conformity in people's lineups.

It would be much better for 2K to base restrictions upon an average Overall rating of the team. They already have the programming to do it, as it's how a few Challenges operate.

If, for example, instead of "3 Gold," the restriction were "79 or Lower Average OVR" (or whatever), then someone might use three high Golds, and then the rest being half Silver and Bronze. Or use three lower Golds and all middle-to-high Silvers. Or maybe they could squeeze in 4 Gold and the rest Bronze.

It would allow people to easily justify playing many more Golds that are, say, 80 or 81 OVR.

Jumping to your discussion on playmaking Centers, I'd like to be able to justify playing Sabonis. But since I can't reliably shoot from 3 with his 70 rating, anyway, it's just about impossible to justify using him in 3 Gold games because Marc Gasol is so much better pretty much across the board.

But if playing Sabonis (82 OVR) instead of Gasol (87 OVR) meant that, elsewhere in the lineup, I could have a 78 Silver instead of a 73 silver, then Sabonis becomes way more viable as a choice. Maybe preferable.

And insofar as playmaking Centers go, try utilizing Give-and-Go and Handoff to add to the diversity of situations in which they can play distributor.
Love this idea...

Perhaps the thing I like about it most is that it actually creates real VALUE on the marketplace for cards.

The way it is now...low-rated Silvers and Golds have almost ZERO value. There is almost always a better 'replacement' player for these players. So...unless you are a FAN of that player, it is in your best interest to play the 87 rated Gold over the 81 rated Gold. There's almost zero advantage to not playing that guy.

This is why we constantly see the SAME lineups again and again.

Like you said, why bother playing Sabonis or Ilgauskas when Gasol gives you all the SAME stuff...and more. And it's not like the couple hundred MT difference in the AH is changing anyone's minds...that's one game VS the computer.

I don't know how overall team ratings are calculated, but the only caveat I would have is that 2K would need to find a way to just DROP the ratings of like the lowest 3 players on the roster. That way you couldn't just throw on super low rated players in those slots, like Kapono, to drop the overall down to fit in an extra star player.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:58 PM   #10
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

I got to the 7 seed and it plays MUCH better! I also changed up my philosophy. I am now using a traditional 4 and I slow the game down and focus on rebounds. I am also now running freelances like corner, swing, and flow (3-2 sets) and occasionally running my own PnR, PnFs, along with some set plays. I dominated the first two games!

I also set my POE's to protect the paint and I force teams to beat me from outside. I still make defensive adjustments on shooters and whatnot. I also put my POE to limit transition and make sure to take good shots and I have noticed my opponents are not scoring cheese buckets now.

For the 8 seed, I used TBT Elton Brand at the 5 and ran Princeton freelance (low and chin works).

Youtube
Old 12-13-2015, 12:25 AM   #11
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

I don't know if there is a thread for RTTP gameplay, but here is my last game in the 7th seed:

I had a lot of success slowing the game down. Granted, my opponent was not the best, but it seems like the bigger lineup is working better.

Youtube
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »