Home

Needs Vs Wants For RTTP Success

This is a discussion on Needs Vs Wants For RTTP Success within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-19-2016, 08:19 AM   #9
Rookie

LegitSkillz's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Needs Vs Wants For RTTP Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcaravel
Great post! I really agree that having an athletic PG is crucial. I'm using Westbrook and he is the catalyst of my offence.

What playbook and/or freelance offence do you use? 4-out-1-in?

Yes sir. But I change it up sometimes (not often enough since I'm happy with my current team). In RTTP, I rotate between the warriors, heat, and hawk playbook. Depends which one I'm in the mood for. I find these playbook helpful for my 4-1 scheme. I also shift between spread the floor and corners. These work very well you have an athletic guard controlling the offence. Ex. Westbrook is one player who will always be useful. Due to his finishing ability he's always a threat inside. The moment you break down the defender in front of you (usually the PG or who ever is guarding you) it's an automatic kick out opportunity when you drive the paint. With the corners formation, Klay Thompson hits a corner 3 with ease. And if he's not available I can toss it to drexler on the opposite side. If no one is available just attack the basket because you have an above average chance to get fouled or still finish the play successfully.

Overall just take what the defence gives you. I run SFs at the power forward position so I find there are always options available for me on offence. Downfall is defence since they are not strong enough to contain natural PFs or efficiently protect the paint. Best players I have for those matchups are Lebron and DPOY Leonard. It would be nice to have DR Draymond Green but I don't want to break the bank for him haha. I use to play Current Anthony Davis at PF but his mid-range wasn't reliable enough and he would get over powered in the post due to his strength. He did get a lot of blocks but his production wasn't high enough for me to keep him in the line up. Majority of online players go small so Davis matched up against an elite SF can get ugly real quick. Mind you, I have him fully badged with bruiser, one man fast-break, and acrobat. I use him in my offline challenges and gauntlet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2016, 08:28 AM   #10
Pro

I agree 100% it is important to have defined roles for players on your team. People that fit your play style, also, the chemistry of your lineup. When it comes to adding pieces to my team I am more concerned with whether or not a player will fit into my rotation and do the jobs I want them too, rather than simply adding cards with better stats.

Knowing your players releases, animations, and having players that you work well with is the most important thing. Definitely, one does not need a stacked roster to compete in this game. The most important thing is knowing the players you have and utilizing their strengths.

I have fairly strict criteria that I require my players to meet. It often leads me to a debate because I want to always use my favourite players from growing up, but at the same time, I need cards that fit my demands, and not all the superstars I idolized have suitable cards for me. This leads me to have to compromise and have some people on my team that I don't necessarily care for irl, but they have good cards and the players do what I want from them. Ultimately, my goal is for my team to consist of only my favourite players, have the role distribution and chemistry I like, and not have to use people I am not super fond of. However, I am not there yet.

Some of the things I look for:
- I have to be able to score with each player on my team. With that in mind, I don't like one dimensional players. I will never have a kyle korver or JJ reddick on my team.
- Everyone on the team needs to be able to defend. I especially like a defensive anchor at the PG and C positions.
- PG and SG need to be able to both handle the ball. Having a SG that can distribute the ball allows me to catch and shoot with my PG.
- PG, SG, SF all need to be able to shoot 3s.
- SG and SF need to be athletic.
- I like a traditional 2 big man lineup, I will only go small ball if my PF can't keep up with the other team's small ball lineup. Ex: KG sometimes can't defend Melo on the 3pt line so I have to put Kawhi at the 4.
- PF needs to be able to shoot the mid-range
- PF needs to be able to pass. I like to run a pick and pop with the PG/PF and if the mid range jumper isn't available I like the PF to kick it down to my C for a dunk.
- C needs low post game. Defense, rebounds, and hustle points are a must. But I also like the C to be able to create for themselves in the post.

I am not going to say my lineup on this thread because it's kind of stacked and I know the purpose of this is to talk about how silvers/golds can compete with amethysts and diamonds.

Here are some relatively cheap cards that can do tons of damage and are able to lockdown defend all the diamonds. All these cards are 20k MT or less.

PG - Chauncey Billups (strong defender, can shut down people who put Lebron at the point, reliable playmaker and knock down shooter. Also has surprisingly great driving layup, gets fouled a lot and they go in through contact)
SG - Rip Hamilton (lockdown defender, excellent shooter, athletic, can finish on the break, and can pass the ball well)
SF - DPOY Kawhi (top notch D, athletic, finishes on the break, can shoot the 3)
PF - Lamarcus Aldridge (excellent midrange, can shoot the 3, good rebounder, defense isn't amazing but far from a liability)
C - DPOY Mutumbo (probably the best low post defender in the game right now, also, his low post offense is surprisingly great, bonus, he can shoot free throws)
C - Silver Tyson Chandler, currently the only card in the game with both 89+ defensive rebound, 89+ offensive rebound, and 70+ free throw. Put post lockdown defender, both crasher badges, and hustle points on him, and I swear he can bang downlow with the best amethyst centres in the game.

Also, Tony Parker and Hassan Whiteside's moment cards I believe are both 20k or less and look deadly.

Last edited by Bubba13laze; 01-19-2016 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:22 PM   #11
Rookie

Well I made a post before I read this thread...

I'm building a team with the same kind of principle you guys are talking about here.

I'm not a great slasher and like to control the tempo with my PG. All my players must have playmaking capabilities to allow me to drive and dish or just move the ball. Also, defence still wins games.

I usually run plays for Noah, as he can then distribute at will to the open man. When the opponent starts figuring that, I'll run some sort of floppy, horns or just screens.

Using that principle and extremely limited MT, I'm currently going with

Rubio for the defence and playmaking abilities - Dimer and Floor general

DPOY Noah for the same reason as Rubio

Danny Green as my 3&D guy.

At the moment I also have DPOY Cooper and TBT Kirilenko.

After facing a guy with Melo, I'm kind of rethinking my team. Cooper is not consistent enough and will probably need to replace him.

Play AK at the 3, Danny Green at the 2 and get a new PF.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2016, 12:39 PM   #12
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichi
Well I made a post before I read this thread...

I'm building a team with the same kind of principle you guys are talking about here.

I'm not a great slasher and like to control the tempo with my PG. All my players must have playmaking capabilities to allow me to drive and dish or just move the ball. Also, defence still wins games.

I usually run plays for Noah, as he can then distribute at will to the open man. When the opponent starts figuring that, I'll run some sort of floppy, horns or just screens.

Using that principle and extremely limited MT, I'm currently going with

Rubio for the defence and playmaking abilities - Dimer and Floor general

DPOY Noah for the same reason as Rubio

Danny Green as my 3&D guy.

At the moment I also have DPOY Cooper and TBT Kirilenko.

After facing a guy with Melo, I'm kind of rethinking my team. Cooper is not consistent enough and will probably need to replace him.

Play AK at the 3, Danny Green at the 2 and get a new PF.
AK is great but they jerked him on the badges. Melo is hard to stop if someone knows how to use him....so I usually get someone who can defend him fairly well and make him a liability on the other end. PG13 is good for this when on a budget if using a gold. A good silver option is Khris Middleton. Also Wes Matthews if Melo doesnt post him up.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:49 PM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by synistr
AK is great but they jerked him on the badges. Melo is hard to stop if someone knows how to use him....so I usually get someone who can defend him fairly well and make him a liability on the other end. PG13 is good for this when on a budget if using a gold. A good silver option is Khris Middleton. Also Wes Matthews if Melo doesnt post him up.
Kris Middleton is a good one. Thank you. Totally forgot about him as an option for the 3. Just picked him up for 1200MT after reading your reply.

PG13 is way out of my league and also doesn't really fit my play style. I built my team with 10k MT so...
Old 01-19-2016, 12:50 PM   #14
Rookie

LegitSkillz's Arena

Needs Vs Wants For RTTP Success

I think we are forgetting one silver player who can give melo trouble..... The Greek Freak. Enough said. He can't shoot 3s and his mid isn't great either. His finishing ability is good though. I used him in the restricted seeds at PF and he was a monster on both ends!

Giannis gets a lot of chase down blocks, when you think he gets beat in the post (fadeaways, post spins, etc) he ends up blocking (or disrupting) the shot and usually grabs rebound afterwards. He gets into the passing lanes, terrific help defender, and has decent lateral quickness for his size (76). He also isn't easily fooled on pick and roll plays either! Solid silver I must say.

Last edited by LegitSkillz; 01-19-2016 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:34 PM   #15
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegitSkillz
I think we are forgetting one silver player who can give melo trouble..... The Greek Freak. Enough said. He can't shoot 3s and his mid isn't great either. His finishing ability is good though. I used him in the restricted seeds at PF and he was a monster on both ends!

Giannis gets a lot of chase down blocks, when you think he gets beat in the post (fadeaways, post spins, etc) he ends up blocking (or disrupting) the shot and usually grabs rebound afterwards. He gets into the passing lanes, terrific help defender, and has decent lateral quickness for his size (76). He also isn't easily fooled on pick and roll plays either! Solid silver I must say.

I have to agree, Greek Freak can do some unique things on the court despite his ratings. He plays like a gold card. I ran against him in RTTP and he did a lil damage but he didn't get much playing time which I was happy about. 76 lat quick is ridiculous for a 6'11" player....only WCS has better combination.

One silver I am anticipated about though is reward Metta. Elite silver defender and 3pt shooter.

Last edited by synistr; 01-19-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2016, 04:21 PM   #16
Just started!

I agree with your belief that it is all about the players that fit your playstyle. I beat RTTP, and got bored so decided I would make a team for fun centered around a single player. I chose current Lillard, and surrounded him with nothing but role players. I'm running through seed 1 still at a record of 6-2, and with nothing but 1 other gold player (Peja Stojakavic, one of my favorite players when I was younger) and silvers like Rudy Gobert. I found this to actually be much more enjoyable than playing with a stacked team because it really makes you strategize how to stop someone's superstar team while playing with an average team. I will have to look at my team to remember who all is on it and Ill get back with you guys asap.

P.S. TBT AK47 is a BEAST

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »