Home

Needs Vs Wants For RTTP Success

This is a discussion on Needs Vs Wants For RTTP Success within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-18-2016, 03:08 PM   #1
Rookie

LegitSkillz's Arena

OVR: 0
Needs Vs Wants For RTTP Success

I am a firm believer that team chemistry and user playstyle is the key to winning games and defeating RTTP. Personnel choice is crucial and adding players that have predefined roles can go a long way. You don't need to have a stacked line up to be successful or spend close to a million in mt. For example my current line up is:

PG - C Gold John wall (4K), Amethyst Jason Kidd (free)

SG - C Gold jimmy butler (4K), C Gold Klay Thompson (6k)

SF - amethyst Clyde drexler (free), C Lebron James (90k)

PF - amethyst Scottie pippen (free), C Paul George (9k)

C - DPOY Dikembe Mutombo (4K), DPOY Marc Gasol (4K)

Reserves - DPOY Kawhi Leonard (8k) and two crap bronze players.

This team causes a lot of havoc and cost around 130k lol. Fully badged the amount would reach 200k or a little more. I have beaten RTTP a few times but I only like using players I'm a fan of in real life or loved watching when I was a kid.

All those players mentioned play solid defence and give opposing teams headaches. Main scorers tend to be John Wall(gets a 2x2 almost every game), Lebron, Drexler, and Thompson. I do a lot of drive and kick and spread the floor on offence since I don't use a natural power forward.

Main POE's used:

Neutral offensive focus, pick and roll, and get shooter open

Patient offence and shoot at will

Limit transition

Defence:

Neutral defensive focus
Play physical defence
Some crash and some run

I feel these selections benefit my team the most and utilizes the skill of the personnel on my team.

My shooters: Klay, Paul, butler stay on the corners and benefit from the drive and kick opportunities John wall provides, but I've also realized drexler plays well alongside Kidd. He hits a lot of clutch 3s, maybe the dimer badge kicking in but who knows.

Mutombo is a traditional centre and his job is basic: rebound, defend, and get hustle points.

Marc is my offensive big off the bench and plays limited minutes since his defence is suspect. I usually put him in for a scoring punch and pick and pop opportunities.

I will not go into detail about the others but anyone who knows b-ball well can shut down any team with these players. I don't spend mt often and have about 200k saved up. Still got over 600 players I'm willing to sell but don't see the line up changing much.

Buy only the players that match your play style. If you like shooting jumpers all the time don't buy players that can barely shoot. I see guys shoot jumpers with John wall and rage quit when he misses jumper after jumper. Additionally, if you want to have a sharp shooting squad you will be doing yourself a big favor investing in an athletic PG who can pass and attack the rim efficiently. A lot of shooters aren't that quick and many don't have the best ball control. Not only is spot up shooting more efficient, it also spreads the floor forcing your opponent to play on ball defence. PG's who are fast and finish well at the rim make the defence collapse (with quality ball handle needed here) I find this to be one of the best remedies against opponents who just user control their C in the paint.

Best affordable Gold athletic PGs (badge up with Dimer, Pick & Roll Maestro, Relentless Finisher, Acrobat, All spin badges, and all ball handling badges)

Lilliard, Westbrook, Wall, and Rose.

Let's add more to this thread to help players who don't have the resources (time, money, patience, and etc) to have a stacked team. Suggests players that flourish in certain schemes and can match up against these diamonds and amethyst players people are spending 100s of thousands of dollars on.

Sorry for the long post everyone haha

Thanks,
LegitSkillz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by LegitSkillz; 01-18-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2016, 07:12 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Needs Vs Wants For RTTP Success

I think Gary Payton would be fantastic. I picked Curry as my first PG but i am strongly considering picking up Payton as backup instead of Kidd

A fully badged up historic Payton is worth 140k MT which is silly.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:36 PM   #3
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2

That's a pretty tough team no matter how you look at it.

I'm using an all Indiana born, Indiana high school alums for my squad. I've made it to the fourth seed and now there aren't any restrictions so it's significantly tougher to use the Indiana guys and I see those guys you mention a lot.

I've added Oscar Robertson and just added Larry Bird to my lineup but what you say about matching your playstyle is a good tip. I have to learn how to use the guys I have and so it takes me a while to get any good with a team. Not to mention that I'm 48 years old so I'm a slow learner as well.

It doesn't help that I'm also playing guys with superstar lineups with no lines on black courts, road jerseys at home, etc. lol.

My starters now are:

PG: Oscar Robertson
SG: Eric Gordon
SF: Larry Bird
PF: Shawn Kemp
C: Miles Plumlee

I made it to the fourth seed by substituting Michael Conley for Oscar and Gordon Hayward for Larry. Now that I have Oscar and Larry I have no clue what I'm doing lol.

Since I'm a glutton for punishment, the other thing I've done is put together some MyTeam "house rules" I follow. Here's a list of those.

1. No on screen displays except for icons.
2. All manual coach settings.
3. Defensive assist 0, box out assist 0, manual shot contest with on ball defense.
4. No changes in defensive settings.
5. No quitting.
6. Only Indiana guys on the team.

I made these rules because I think a lot of people think you have to be a settings master, play off ball, have superstars, etc to win the RTTP and I don't think you have to.

I'll admit now that I'm in the fourth seed I'm a little over matched until I figure things out.

I like what you are saying in that putting together a team can be a little like the Dream Team process where you need guys to do certain things even if there are greater players out there overall.

Good stuff, let's hear what you other guys are doing.

I need some practice too, so if any of you guys want some practice hit me up.

PSN: www-Coach2K-com

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.

Last edited by Coach2K; 01-18-2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:07 PM   #4
MVP

I am in the 6th seed but I am taking my time and swapping in and out players every game.

In the 3 gold seeds, I try to have at least 4 players with Defensive Anchor badge. At least one player (preferably two with Floor General). At least one Alpha Dog along with two Beta Dogs.

I definitely have to have 1-2 bigs who have speed. I also pick high hustle players. Reggie Evans fits both categories. I dont have 2 weak bigs, if I have one with low strength then I have another with high strength and play them together.

I like unique players. Noah has anchor and dimer badges....excellent for a spread offense and he is good defensively despite not being very fast.

Trevor Booker is also unique. He is not a good defender, but offensively, he is the fastest PF in the game. There are only 2 PF's with better combination of speed/strength/3pt shooting than Booker, and thats Diamond Love and soon to be Amethyst Draymond.

If you have room for silver Alonzo on your team then he could be useful. He still has a ton of badges and anchor badge.

DR's Wesley Matthews and Derrick Rose are phenomenal silvers because they still have some gold residue. Matthews is still a good defender with good badges and can heat up fast offensively. Rose still has elite speed for any card, much less a silver. He can get to the rim and draw contact just as easy as RWB.

Kobe still has gold residue. Alpha Dog and Closer amongst a ton of other badges. From the outside he isnt effective anymore, but his post game is still a problem for other guards/sf's.

Demarre Carroll is a knock down 3pt shooter and defender....ok as a SF and good in spot minutes as a PF.

DR Lowry is a great 2-way guard that is still pretty cheap. I like Billups as well but Kyle's hot zones are better and his release is easier. Both are very strong PGs.

I have not been posting up much lately but if I were going to...I would use DPOY Marc because he is good 2-way player. Current Blake can do damage too because he is strong, quick, and ferocious anywhere near the basket.

Anyone who hasnt gotten DPOY Mutombo...I dont know what you are waiting on. He is cheap, but will lock down the post game. I shut Boogie down with no problem whatsoever. Mutombo is about a 10th of the cost of Mourning...and while not the offensive player....he has to be the best paint protector in the game currently.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:08 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.Coach2K.com

3. Defensive assist 0, box out assist 0, manual shot contest with on ball defense.
5. No quitting.

Likewise for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2016, 08:22 PM   #6
Rookie

LegitSkillz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.Coach2K.com
That's a pretty tough team no matter how you look at it.

I'm using an all Indiana born, Indiana high school alums for my squad. I've made it to the fourth seed and now there aren't any restrictions so it's significantly tougher to use the Indiana guys and I see those guys you mention a lot.

I've added Oscar Robertson and just added Larry Bird to my lineup but what you say about matching your playstyle is a good tip. I have to learn how to use the guys I have and so it takes me a while to get any good with a team. Not to mention that I'm 48 years old so I'm a slow learner as well.

Not to mention, I'm playing guys with superstar lineups with no lines on black courts, road jerseys at home, etc. lol.

My starters now are:

PG: Oscar Robertson
SG: Eric Gordon
SF: Larry Bird
PF: Shawn Kemp
C: Miles Plumlee

I made it to the fourth seed by substituting Michael Conley for Oscar and Gordon Hayward for Larry. Now that I have Oscar and Larry I have no clue what I'm doing lol.

The other thing I've done is put together some MyTeam "house rules" I follow. Here's a list of those.

3. Defensive assist 0, box out assist 0 and manual shot contest.
5. No quitting.

I made these rules because I think a lot of people think you have to be a settings master, play off ball, have superstars, etc to win the RTTP and I don't think you have to.

I'll admit now that I'm in the fourth seed I'm a little over matched until I figure things out.

I like what you are saying in that putting together a team can be a little like the Dream Team process where you need guys to do certain things even if there are greater players out there overall.

Good stuff, let's hear what you other guys are doing.

I need some practice too, so if any of you guys want some practice hit me up.

PSN: www-Coach2K-com

With your lineup I would make a few adjustments:

PG - Current Mike Conley - great defender, great shooter, and great playmaker.

SG - Eric Gordon

SF - Oscar Robertson (he can play the 2 and 3 effectively)

PF - Larry Bird - he's not quick enough to play sf but he can help stretch out your offence since he is money from mid range and can hit a few 3s due to his offensive consistency. He also has solid post defence as well.

C - Shawn Kemp - There will be sonics version that will come out soon but the cavs version is good for now. The cavs version has a good mid range and 88 strength. He can hold his own in the post and step out and shoot the jumper.

Give this line up a try. Unorthodox but can work for now.

POE:

Neutral offence focus
Average temp or shoot at will
Run in transition or crash the boards

Neutral defence focus
Play physical defence
Crash defensive glass or limit transition

Pick and pop with Bird. Have Oscar handle the ball on the wings and do drive and kicks to Conley and kemp. You have lots of options with this line up. Also tbt Eric Gordon is fast as hell and finishes well. Good shooter too!

Let me know how it goes!

Old 01-18-2016, 08:38 PM   #7
Rookie

LegitSkillz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by synistr
I am in the 6th seed but I am taking my time and swapping in and out players every game.

In the 3 gold seeds, I try to have at least 4 players with Defensive Anchor badge. At least one player (preferably two with Floor General). At least one Alpha Dog along with two Beta Dogs.

I definitely have to have 1-2 bigs who have speed. I also pick high hustle players. Reggie Evans fits both categories. I dont have 2 weak bigs, if I have one with low strength then I have another with high strength and play them together.

I like unique players. Noah has anchor and dimer badges....excellent for a spread offense and he is good defensively despite not being very fast.

Trevor Booker is also unique. He is not a good defender, but offensively, he is the fastest PF in the game. There are only 2 PF's with better combination of speed/strength/3pt shooting than Booker, and thats Diamond Love and soon to be Amethyst Draymond.

If you have room for silver Alonzo on your team then he could be useful. He still has a ton of badges and anchor badge.

DR's Wesley Matthews and Derrick Rose are phenomenal silvers because they still have some gold residue. Matthews is still a good defender with good badges and can heat up fast offensively. Rose still has elite speed for any card, much less a silver. He can get to the rim and draw contact just as easy as RWB.

Kobe still has gold residue. Alpha Dog and Closer amongst a ton of other badges. From the outside he isnt effective anymore, but his post game is still a problem for other guards/sf's.

Demarre Carroll is a knock down 3pt shooter and defender....ok as a SF and good in spot minutes as a PF.

DR Lowry is a great 2-way guard that is still pretty cheap. I like Billups as well but Kyle's hot zones are better and his release is easier. Both are very strong PGs.

I have not been posting up much lately but if I were going to...I would use DPOY Marc because he is good 2-way player. Current Blake can do damage too because he is strong, quick, and ferocious anywhere near the basket.

Anyone who hasnt gotten DPOY Mutombo...I dont know what you are waiting on. He is cheap, but will lock down the post game. I shut Boogie down with no problem whatsoever. Mutombo is about a 10th of the cost of Mourning...and while not the offensive player....he has to be the best paint protector in the game currently.

I second DPOY Mutombo, he's a beast and can shut down a lot of centers! Great value for the price. Kyle Lowry is nasty. I have him but play him in offline challenges mostly. I have the dynamic cards for him and Derozan. Derozan is a beast too and one of the best slashers and finishers in the game. He gets to the foul line a lot too. Most recent update they upped his shooting stats so hopefully it keeps going up. I'm from Toronto so having their cards was a MUST haha. If Derozan gets a more reliable 3 ball I will use him in the unrestricted seeds for sure! Same goes for Kyle Lowry and his mid range shot!

Old 01-19-2016, 05:17 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegitSkillz
I am a firm believer that team chemistry and user playstyle is the key to winning games and defeating RTTP. Personnel choice is crucial and adding players that have predefined roles can go a long way. You don't need to have a stacked line up to be successful or spend close to a million in mt. For example my current line up is:

PG - C Gold John wall (4K), Amethyst Jason Kidd (free)

SG - C Gold jimmy butler (4K), C Gold Klay Thompson (6k)

SF - amethyst Clyde drexler (free), C Lebron James (90k)

PF - amethyst Scottie pippen (free), C Paul George (9k)

C - DPOY Dikembe Mutombo (4K), DPOY Marc Gasol (4K)

Reserves - DPOY Kawhi Leonard (8k) and two crap bronze players.

This team causes a lot of havoc and cost around 130k lol. Fully badged the amount would reach 200k or a little more. I have beaten RTTP a few times but I only like using players I'm a fan of in real life or loved watching when I was a kid.

All those players mentioned play solid defence and give opposing teams headaches. Main scorers tend to be John Wall(gets a 2x2 almost every game), Lebron, Drexler, and Thompson. I do a lot of drive and kick and spread the floor on offence since I don't use a natural power forward.

Main POE's used:

Neutral offensive focus, pick and roll, and get shooter open

Patient offence and shoot at will

Limit transition

Defence:

Neutral defensive focus
Play physical defence
Some crash and some run

I feel these selections benefit my team the most and utilizes the skill of the personnel on my team.

My shooters: Klay, Paul, butler stay on the corners and benefit from the drive and kick opportunities John wall provides, but I've also realized drexler plays well alongside Kidd. He hits a lot of clutch 3s, maybe the dimer badge kicking in but who knows.

Mutombo is a traditional centre and his job is basic: rebound, defend, and get hustle points.

Marc is my offensive big off the bench and plays limited minutes since his defence is suspect. I usually put him in for a scoring punch and pick and pop opportunities.

I will not go into detail about the others but anyone who knows b-ball well can shut down any team with these players. I don't spend mt often and have about 200k saved up. Still got over 600 players I'm willing to sell but don't see the line up changing much.

Buy only the players that match your play style. If you like shooting jumpers all the time don't buy players that can barely shoot. I see guys shoot jumpers with John wall and rage quit when he misses jumper after jumper. Additionally, if you want to have a sharp shooting squad you will be doing yourself a big favor investing in an athletic PG who can pass and attack the rim efficiently. A lot of shooters aren't that quick and many don't have the best ball control. Not only is spot up shooting more efficient, it also spreads the floor forcing your opponent to play on ball defence. PG's who are fast and finish well at the rim make the defence collapse (with quality ball handle needed here) I find this to be one of the best remedies against opponents who just user control their C in the paint.

Best affordable Gold athletic PGs (badge up with Dimer, Pick & Roll Maestro, Relentless Finisher, Acrobat, All spin badges, and all ball handling badges)

Lilliard, Westbrook, Wall, and Rose.

Let's add more to this thread to help players who don't have the resources (time, money, patience, and etc) to have a stacked team. Suggests players that flourish in certain schemes and can match up against these diamonds and amethyst players people are spending 100s of thousands of dollars on.

Sorry for the long post everyone haha

Thanks,
LegitSkillz
Great post! I really agree that having an athletic PG is crucial. I'm using Westbrook and he is the catalyst of my offence.

What playbook and/or freelance offence do you use? 4-out-1-in?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »