Home

Taking budget baller to another level

This is a discussion on Taking budget baller to another level within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-21-2016, 07:06 PM   #65
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Taking budget baller to another level

So, gold John Stockton was in the Auction House waiting for me (7000 MT).

I took him for a spin on freestyle to see if his form had changed. I'm so happy that it's still the same.

His form, hot spots and badges make him such a threat on offence (greens everywhere), and defensively, his stats are great. Speed and acceleration are an issue, but since I use him to run my offence, should be more than ok.

Meanwhile I'm 2-1 in the 5th seed. Noah and Rubio lead the team in assists (how could would it be if we could have "career" stats for a player for their performance with your team?).

I'm rethinking if Larry Johnson should be my starting PF at the moment. After I work a bit more on my post game (which is bad at the moment), I'll be sure if he can do that role or not. If I can't be effective with him there, then he's no more than a small Porzingis and that's a waste of a gold salary.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2016, 10:27 PM   #66
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowsingles

Good point I do have a lot of really good players, it just doesn't seem like it compared to the teams I play. Your best defender at PG is always the best idea to me, because 90% of players run their offense through their athletic point guard by attacking the paint, pippen doesn't allow this. Passing? Passing has no bearing in this game, every single player passes the same, excluding full court and flashy passes. I'd play wall in any situation or position, he's my favorite player so he's going to get on the court... no unwritten "out-of-position" cheese rule is going to change that. I believe in roles not positions. All of my starters can do a variety of things, all of my players initiate the offense equally. Flip-flopping positions works best for me, so I do it. I change it if it doesn't, i have fun without unwritten rules. It's MyTeam, not a one-way to play mode, I like flexibility. Thirdly, Mullin does get to play... I told you all of my players play equal minutes. Finally, you're correct I don't use strategy. I let the game come to me, share the ball, and find mismatches as I go. Yes I'll abuse a slow SF, yes I'll abuse non-defensivel guards, yes I'll abuse slow PFs, yes I'll abuse 4s playing 5.... You're right though, I'm sure no real life basketball team would ever do such a thing. I don't take offense on what the people I play do, it's their team and that's what makes this more fun, I actually enjoy playing crazy lineups rather than the same recycled team, because I have to adjust too and gives the mode more depth.
Well...to be fair, I did say I have no problem with playing guys out of position...as long as it makes sense in terms of BASKETBALL.

What you're doing though...makes no sense from a purely basketball standpoint...only from a 2K standpoint.

I play lots of guys out of position...but at positions that make sense. For example, I've played games with Jalen Rose as my PG....which is where he played at Michigan and how he played during the early years of his career. He eventually turned into more of a shooter/scorer, but his first instinct was always to be more of a distributor like his idol, Magic Johnson.

Sorry, but playing Wall at SF and Pippen at PG doesn't fall into this category.

I might even buy it if you were playing Wall at SF with two other PG's at PG and SG...sort of like PHX experimented with when trying to play Thomas, Bledsoe, and Dragic together last season. At least there is some precedent for that.

But just flip-flopping Pippen and Wall to abuse holes in 2K gameplay seems 'cheesy' to me. And that's the standard I use to determine whether or not something is 'cheese'.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:15 PM   #67
Rookie

Different teams have different needs. I'm going to play my best defender at point to stop the point of attack every time. To me "basketball sense" is fluid. You have a more traditional point of view. Tonight UK started 3 PGs and 2 SFs and won by a comfortable margin. I've seen Pippen facilitate the Bulls offense with players like Kerr playing off the ball and playing a wing role. The Warriors even do this. Magic Johnson played all five "positions". Fitting into a traditional sense may be your way, but it's not everyone's way. My lineup is different, not "cheese". As a matter of fact a lineup can't be cheese, but rather the actions that are cheese. Something like zigzagging is cheese by taking advantage of an exploit in the game... That is what I consider "cheese". I've tried all kinds of lineups and I have fun playing with this lineup and have reeled off 24 straight with it. So why would I change it? For the record as well, Pippen isn't always my PG. My lineup is fluid and I take what is given. If my opponents PG isn't a scoring threat I might start Pete, if his lineup is slow I might start Gordon, Pete, Wall, Baylor, and Porzingis, if I'm playing a team of big athletic wings I might go with Pippen, Cooper, Igoudala, Baylor, and Boban, some games I might start Al if I want to work the post, or use two centers, etc. I care none about positions, but more about roles, like I've said.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:37 PM   #68
Rookie

There is no "loophole", I'm playing players where I see best fit in my scheme. The popular view is that if the Warriors played the '96 Bulls (since it's a currently hot debate topic) that Pippen would guard curry, correct? Did Pippen in '96 not double up Ron Harper in assists; if so why would this change in this matchup? Would this not make him essentially a PG in this series? If so, I face this situation often, being that if you play RTTP you will see plenty of Curry. I know you're thinking "well john wall is a much better playmaker than Harper, so this is invalid". You would be correct except for the fact that I can give the ball to john wall at any point in time to set up the offense if need be ( even though there isn't a great difference in their playmaking )... if they don't switch their defensive match ups it is their problem. I would play Wall at two, but I would leave Rip on an island guarding speed demons like Lebron, when he could be playing the two guarding usually klay. Lastly, who said there needs to be a precedent? Just because you've never seen wall play 3 in real life doesn't mean he couldn't. With his freakish wingspan and athleticism I feel like he could be more of a threat than a liability. Why would the Spurs move Boris Diaw from a 4 to a 1 or Kyle Anderson from a 1 to a 4? There's no precedent for that, but you just have to find what works... Fluidity and creativity, that's what I'm trying to get at here.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:37 PM   #69
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowsingles
There is no "loophole", I'm playing players where I see best fit in my scheme. The popular view is that if the Warriors played the '96 Bulls (since it's a currently hot debate topic) that Pippen would guard curry, correct? Did Pippen in '96 not double up Ron Harper in assists; if so why would this change in this matchup? Would this not make him essentially a PG in this series? If so, I face this situation often, being that if you play RTTP you will see plenty of Curry. I know you're thinking "well john wall is a much better playmaker than Harper, so this is invalid". You would be correct except for the fact that I can give the ball to john wall at any point in time to set up the offense if need be ( even though there isn't a great difference in their playmaking )... if they don't switch their defensive match ups it is their problem. I would play Wall at two, but I would leave Rip on an island guarding speed demons like Lebron, when he could be playing the two guarding usually klay. Lastly, who said there needs to be a precedent? Just because you've never seen wall play 3 in real life doesn't mean he couldn't. With his freakish wingspan and athleticism I feel like he could be more of a threat than a liability. Why would the Spurs move Boris Diaw from a 4 to a 1 or Kyle Anderson from a 1 to a 4? There's no precedent for that, but you just have to find what works... Fluidity and creativity, that's what I'm trying to get at here.
for the record....I don't have an issue with your play style. to me anything can be considered cheese but at the same time, nothing is really cheese. its all in the eyes of the player. also, if someone doesn't know how to abuse John Wall at SF thats on them. some cheese is actually broken, but they have fixed a lot of that this year. there is still cheese, but it can be reverse-exploited just as well.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:39 PM   #70
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichi
So, gold John Stockton was in the Auction House waiting for me (7000 MT).

I took him for a spin on freestyle to see if his form had changed. I'm so happy that it's still the same.

His form, hot spots and badges make him such a threat on offence (greens everywhere), and defensively, his stats are great. Speed and acceleration are an issue, but since I use him to run my offence, should be more than ok.

Meanwhile I'm 2-1 in the 5th seed. Noah and Rubio lead the team in assists (how could would it be if we could have "career" stats for a player for their performance with your team?).

I'm rethinking if Larry Johnson should be my starting PF at the moment. After I work a bit more on my post game (which is bad at the moment), I'll be sure if he can do that role or not. If I can't be effective with him there, then he's no more than a small Porzingis and that's a waste of a gold salary.
I am gonna pick him up this weekend. All his stats look good to me for his price except he is sooooo slow.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:47 PM   #71
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by synistr
I am gonna pick him up this weekend. All his stats look good to me for his price except he is sooooo slow.
I don't know if it's just me having input lag, but the lateral quickness isn't showing. I was expecting him to be slow on offence, no on defence,

Also, missed 10 open 3s with Danny Green, Carroll and Middleton while my opponents were hitting contested 3s. I think 2k must have tweaked something and it affected, either that or I was just in bad luck streak.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2016, 02:53 PM   #72
QNo
MVP

Inspired by this thread, I made a new account a few days ago. Only using MT from the starter pack and playing RTTP. I also managed to get the 50 card 10k bonus, which really helped. Played the 1 Silver seeds with the guys I got from the starter pack, only one guy didn't quit in the first half lol. Now I built a nice 3 gold lineup with the MT I got, some of those bronzes go for lots on PC, luckily:

Westbrook/Gerald Green/Artest/Moments KP/Tyson
TBT Bledsoe/Iggy/TBT Ariza/DeMarre/Gobert

Starks and Middleton would be an even better fit at the 2, but both were pretty expensive. All of the Silvers cost me 1400 max, Iggy was the guy I got in my starter pack.

For the unrestricted seeds I will be able to add DPOY Mutombo and Klay into the starting lineup, gonna make an update when I get there. They should be pretty tough, the last few days I haven't played a single RTTP match where my opponent didn't have at least one Diamond, the last guy had both Wall and Kobe.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »