Home

Help with plays and strategy

This is a discussion on Help with plays and strategy within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-11-2016, 04:44 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Help with plays and strategy

Hi there.

So far I have gotten along well by playing good defense and pickīn roll offense.
In MyTeam Iīve even beaten some challenges at HOF-difficulty and managed to reach the 4th seed of RTTP. But playing in 4th seed without running plays is no fun, since most opponents run plays and they just get better looks.

So, I want to learn how to become a "real" player and need some help. Iīm already reading a lot of threads and watching videos about running plays.
Just a few basic questions. I have coach settings on auto to run plays or use 2k smart play. Not perfect, but hard enough for now.

1. Before I enter the starting point of a play, my teammates wonīt run to open spots etc., right?

2. It seems that I have to stand in the starting spot for about 2 seconds for the play to start. Is there a quicker way of starting a play?

3. Can you recommend a rather simple but effective playbook? I play a 4-1 offense.

4. My CPU-controlled players sometimes donīt close out on shots or do double teams and leave shooters open. Is that because they canīt keep up with my opponentīs play or can I do something about that?

5. How does the coach influence my teams play? POE only?

I realize that those might be very basic questions, but I would help a lot, if you could give me some advice.

Last edited by rambaldi; 06-11-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2016, 05:42 PM   #2
QNo
MVP

Re: Help with plays and strategy

1. Not sure I understand the question?
2. Call plays earlier, it only starts when the other players are in their spots, too. Best is to call it while bringing the ball up, or call plays that are similar to the formation of players on the floor.
3. I've favoured the Wizards playbook for a long time, it has a ton of very effective plays. nk141 covers some of them on his YouTube channel.
4. It might be your defensive settings, but even with the best settings you'll sometimes have to switch off ball to make sure your defense is in order.
5. Default freelance offense is determined by your coach. Also, in RTTP away games you get a random playbook if you don't have the coach that belongs to your playbook's team (e.g. Wittman for the Wizards).
Old 06-12-2016, 05:32 PM   #3
Rookie

Thanks Qno,

that helped a lot. My game has improved since I try to incorporate plays.
Iīm trying a few playbooks at the moment. So far Suns and Hawks are good.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:40 AM   #4
Rookie

Playing in the 4th seed is still rather tough for me - I mostly have a problem with the opponents getting open shots.

So after watching some of Sam Phamīs videos, I have a few questions.

POE
1. PnR Offense or Get Shooters open? Iīm using the Suns Playbook.
2. Limit Perimeter Shots might be more important than protect the paint, since every single player you play against at this time can shoot?

PLAYS
3. Is it okay to keep the default halfcourt set or is there another better option for the suns playbook.

DEFENSE
4. Can you give me some feedback on my default settings? Obviously you have to react differently to game situations, but I need something to start with. (+ all diamonds = nore real strenghts or weaknesses anymore)

- On-Ball and off ball pressure: tight -> everbody can shoot and my wing players have good help defense IQ

- force direction: baseline

- what to do with screens? icing? go over? go under seems to be no option because of the great shooting.

- hedging? disable? disable for center only? soft hedge?

- switching: only guards

- double teams: manual

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by rambaldi; 06-14-2016 at 04:39 AM.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:46 PM   #5
QNo
MVP

1. I don't think that specific POE matters a lot, either should be fine.
2. Watch Sam's videos on the Golden Defense. He suggests the neutral option.
3. Depends on your personell. Hawks and Warriors are the best 4-1 offenses, Pace is also okay. Flow is my favourite 3-2 offense.
4. Again, Sam's Golden Defense videos cover this well. Generally, going tight is best for perimeter players, smother for stretch 4s/5s. You wanna go med/tight/deny on perimeter guys depending on their shooting ability, auto on PFs, and auto on the Cs (gap or moderate on non-shooting Cs is good, too). Go over/no hedge on PnRs. POst 3/4 top on 1-3 and bottom on 4-5, switching only guards. Rest leave as is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2016, 06:14 PM   #6
Rookie

Thank you so much for your advice!
Old 06-14-2016, 08:05 PM   #7
MVP

Definitely not Protect the Paint in Online PvP games. Your wing defenders will be too eager to help inside and people are too good at nailing light-moderately contested 3's. If you Deny wing shooters and run Limit Perimeter, you should not have wing defenders leave their assignment, but then they pretty much NEVER do, and you actually sometimes need them to. So like QNo and I think Sam Pham believe, Neutral probably makes most sense.

Keep in mind, if you Deny shooters, yes it helps in them not being gapped, but the problem is that you're then vulnerable to a manual backdoor Y-cut. On offense, it's very easy to see when an opponent is denying shooters and then one just has to clear out the paint by pulling one's big out for a screen, then call for the Denied shooter to cut for an easy jam in the paint.

So I think you shouldn't Deny on more than 1 or maybe 2 of the other team's shooters, otherwise there are too many options to exploit.

Conversely, look out for opponents trying to Deny too many of your guys. Lots of people just go Smother/Deny on anyone who can shoot. It's effective in stopping them from getting open threes, but it makes it very easy to pepper them with backdoor cuts. It's cheesy to abuse Y-cuts, but if they're Denying everyone, then I think it's more than fair to punish them for it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »