Home

Equalizer and matchup logic the worst ever

This is a discussion on Equalizer and matchup logic the worst ever within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-19-2016, 04:24 AM   #1
Pro

ChiliPalmer's Arena

OVR: 0
Angry Equalizer and matchup logic the worst ever

Thats right, I have to say it again, bc this year it is as obvious and bad as it can get.

I've recently made some tests with different lineups in different MTO seeds. First of all, nobody understands the OVR rating system of 2k as discussed in another thread. Which is bad and non-transparent. Second, the matchmaking logic does two things (Europe):
a) it takes forever to find a match if you either have a stacked team in a lower seed or a low rated team in a higher seed. And I am talking about half an hour and more.
b) People try to lower their OVR or use Emerald players to get matched with lower rated teams. Also, the incentive to buy or collect high rated cards has decreased for a lot of people (2k, if anybody reading this, this should be a monetary argument that could be of interest for you)

Like last year, there is an equalizer/rubberband implemented in MTO. To avoid another discussion: it is not provable (like evolution). But this year it is even more obvious than last. Everybody can form his own opinion and use an unusual lineup that is either very high or very low rated and see what happens.

The interaction of these things leads to very dissapointing results. I am very impressed with the new gameplay and graphics, but for these reasons (and the horrible input lag) 2k messed up MTO again imo.
Reward DUNCAN
Diamond PORZINGOD

Bench: THE BIG O-GOONRICH-FlyersIGGY-GRANDMA-Ammy GERMINATOR
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2016, 04:31 AM   #2
MVP

Re: Equalizer and matchup logic the worst ever

Ya, I felt the wrath for buying cards, I faced top notch competition almost instantly and got slaughtered for my first 50 games or so, getting a lot better now though
Old 10-19-2016, 06:00 AM   #3
MVP

justlaze's Arena

I jumped in the MTO lottery for a game just few minutes ago, decided to go with my stacked team with 98 OVR and see what happens... this time my opponent pulled the shortest straw: all he had was a 99 Free Agent Kobe, the rest was a mix of gold and silver. poor guy had no chance even if he tried. how in the world can it be so hard to set up MTO match-making?! it's just hilarious how bad it is.

I guess the system just acknoledged that he has an 99 card and therefore decided to take it on a diamond team...lol...great work 2K - devs at their best
Old 10-19-2016, 06:19 AM   #4
MVP

Let's just accept the fact that matchmaking is not affected by OVR.

Is there anyone who can confirm otherwise?

I got played 4 games yesterday. All of them with my signature team

One of them was with Silver bench and starters like Howards/Ben Simmons/Jahil Okafor and his best player was Klay.

One of them had similar rated team as mine.

Last two were full of diamonds. One of them had Ruby White chocolate as PG with Marion/Grandmama and Ben Wallace

and the other starters Ruby Kobe as PG, Ruby Eddie Jones,LBJ, Diamond Bosh and Diamond Wallace, and on bench Diamond Parker/Ruby Walker and Rodman etc.

If there is any overall matcmaking (which I don't believe) I just cant see it.

The only matchmaking I see is Difficulty seeds. For example I am on Diamond league and I face opponents from Ruby League and up
Old 10-19-2016, 06:43 AM   #5
Pro

ChiliPalmer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabamaru
Let's just accept the fact that matchmaking is not affected by OVR.

Is there anyone who can confirm otherwise?

I got played 4 games yesterday. All of them with my signature team

One of them was with Silver bench and starters like Howards/Ben Simmons/Jahil Okafor and his best player was Klay.

One of them had similar rated team as mine.

Last two were full of diamonds. One of them had Ruby White chocolate as PG with Marion/Grandmama and Ben Wallace

and the other starters Ruby Kobe as PG, Ruby Eddie Jones,LBJ, Diamond Bosh and Diamond Wallace, and on bench Diamond Parker/Ruby Walker and Rodman etc.

If there is any overall matcmaking (which I don't believe) I just cant see it.

The only matchmaking I see is Difficulty seeds. For example I am on Diamond league and I face opponents from Ruby League and up
Matchmaking is definitely affected by your team OVR.
I tested this with a friend; you wont find a match in higher seeds for a loooooong time if you use a bronze team and get matched up with each other with identical OVR teams. It could be a mix between your OVR and the card colors too. But the OVR does play a role.
Reward DUNCAN
Diamond PORZINGOD

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2016, 06:53 AM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPalmer
Matchmaking is definitely affected by your team OVR.
I tested this with a friend; you wont find a match in higher seeds for a loooooong time if you use a bronze team and get matched up with each other with identical OVR teams. It could be a mix between your OVR and the card colors too. But the OVR does play a role.
I don't know what to say. It is difficult to find a game in higher seeds in europe cause there are just not so many players. But if OVR did play a part, how do you justify my 4 games yesterday?

One way or another this thing is just not transparent.

On the other hand nothing is transparent on this game, so why matchmaking would be?

Last edited by kabamaru; 10-19-2016 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:07 AM   #7
Pro

ChiliPalmer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabamaru
I don't know what to say. It is difficult to find a game in higher seeds in europe cause there are just not so many players. But if OVR did play a part, how do you justify my 4 games yesterday?

One way or another this thins is just not transparent.

On the other hand nothing is transparent on this game, so why matchmaking would be?
Ya, this depends on a lot of factors. How long did you wait for these matches? Where exactly are you located? What time did you play? What is your W/L record? Who did you matched up with so far (this is huge)?
So none of us will be able to retrace your 4 games and the system in general.

A lack of transparency is the worst; at least i want to be able to understand what criteria forms the basis of this game. Same with the equalizer, at least admit it. Along with the input lag this intransparency is the biggest downside for me. if there would be enough pressure from the community 2k might have to explain at least some of the mechanics. Same for European servers btw, they are horrible and located in the US.
Reward DUNCAN
Diamond PORZINGOD

Old 10-19-2016, 08:05 AM   #8
QNo
MVP

Playing on PC, it seems that I don't wait longer than about 5 minutes for matches. If I get a match around the 5 minute mark, their average lineup seems weaker than if I get one right away. This is on a very small sample size, though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »