Home

Finally figured out why I was struggling in MTO

This is a discussion on Finally figured out why I was struggling in MTO within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-03-2016, 05:41 AM   #17
Rookie

Sumoparis's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Finally figured out why I was struggling in MTO

No mind sharing ?
Old 11-04-2016, 10:09 AM   #18
Rookie

Guys, I been starting to shoot with the left stick to and it makes tons of difference, I dont know if cause Im calling plays to get my guys open or what, Im getting alot of green releases...

One tip that I want to give everybody is use the bank shots, it always go in.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:21 PM   #19
Pro

Here are my D settings. Minor adjustments can be made during the game to adapt.

On-ball press...Tight
Offball press... Shooters-tight/deny, bigs-auto, others moderate/tight
Force direction...middle. Bigs-baseline
On ball screen...over (under on bigs w/o range)
Hedge...Catch
On-ball screen (center) ...Ice (under on bigs like above)
Hedge center...Catch
Offball screen....auto
Post....3/4 bottom
Double perimeter...manual
Double post...manual
Prerotate...No
Screen help...help and no rotation (auto on bigs)
Help rules...Help...all

Sorry for the lame format above. On my phone.

The adjustments for bigs are very important. Playing on screener in PnR game is HUGE. Especially for tree-feeders.

Making adjustments to deadeye big men is imperative.

Proper defense and defensive settings can turn a diamond squad into mush. I just faced a collector with reward kiki and held the team as a whole to 19/42 (45%) fg and 3pt to 4/14 (29%). Not awful numbers, but considering the squad, I was impressed w myself.

IN-GAME SETTINGS:
Neutral Aggression.
Some Crash/run or Crash. (i NEVER USE RUN)

I always play man. Zone is too easy to exploit.

Switching offball to cover AI is a necessity. There are no perfect settings.

When someone is under the hoop, right stick and R2 only. Saves from Intense-D L2 auto-block....and fouls/and1s.

Don't mash the steal button. Just don't. Flip the right stick. Less fouling.

If someone wants to turbe cheese, I'll go for a halfcourt trap. I NEVER play half court press to stop turboing like 2k16. If you are keen on this crap, setting up to take a charge is easy.

I start every year focusing on D. I would rather do this first and learn how to handle the cheesers (that start the year learning the best cheese), and then focus on my offense....which is where I'm at now.

Properly played defense is greatly rewarded this year. And poorly played D is punished appropriately.

Hope this helps someone.

Tl;dr

Edit ......thanks to SamPham for getting me started with some of his settings and helping me understand what each does. He truly is a gem in the 2K community. His videos are fantastic learning tools.

Edit2
Also very important....EVERY CHANGE OF POSESSION....NO MATTER WHAT....GET YOUR C BACK TO THE FOUL LINE. Every time. Keep the ballhandlers defender in the corner of your eye just to make sure dumb 2K ai doesn't leave curry on the 3line

Last edited by Offballer4life; 11-06-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:43 AM   #20
Rookie

Sumoparis's Arena

Thank to you for sharing !

I use the same kind of settings, I guess it's linked to the fact that I'm also a Sophomore Sam Pham's student

My settings :

On ball : Tight
Off ball : Deny (auto for non stretch bigs)

I use the soft hedge and over for on ball screens.
For the center on ball, I rely on the catch hedge and under.

I tried several times the 3/4 bottom, but I'm not convinced at all, highly prefer the behind guard.

Change all.
No prerotate.
Help and no rotation.
Help all
Extend the pressure on the PGs.
No tag on rolls for everybody.

Coaching settings : Help frequency : 100

In Game :
Def : Man to man, Limit space (for auto settings), crash def glasses, conservative defense (DR 2K input, limiting numerous fouls)

From time to time I can also ask for a timeout run defensive settings to go for "Make him work" on small slashers/shooters and "nothing inside" for a spamming big in the paint.

The new patch really improved defense, so I guess my streak can last a little bit longer (currently from sapphire to ruby league on a 10-0).

Again, thank you very much for sharing this, I really appreciate and I think I'm not the only one there
Old 11-07-2016, 12:55 PM   #21
Pro

You are correct sir...about the update. Ive played 4 games, and defensively RUINED my opponents. Been going through Ruby league trying for 10-0. Got to Amethyst a while back, but got demoted due to poor play on my end and a poor wifi connection at my GFs house. Probably on my 3rd or 4th time thru Ruby. Pretty confident I can handle it, now that moron cheese seems to be less effective. Ive finally put together a squad that I love. Honestly, tried to focus on getting a ruby PG with Floor General, but gave up. None impressed me for the MT. I have decent luck defending with the 3 guys I listed below, and if someone wants to MRR or Tony Turbo me to death, enjoy getting called for the charge.

Penny/Curry/Harper
Hudson/Cooper
Antoine Walker(kills @3)/Sapph Grant/Horry
Larry/Ruby Rodman
Ruby AD/Willis/Gold Deandre

Tons of defense. And offensively, everyone has a role. I picked up AD that had Pick Pocket on him, and rolled my eyes. After a few games, I get it. If you arent quick in the paint, my ball. Thanks. LOL. Willis is an absolute monster for me. Points, blocks, and boards. Paired with Rodman.... Penny drives, and either scores or kicks out to Cooper for a 3 or Hill for a mid or dunk. The 2 rubies under the hoop clean up any mess.

AD and LJ also make for a nice duo. Even moreso if you run 5-out.

PS....BADGES MAKE A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE WHEN APPLIED PROPERLY. Dont waste MT on players that have moronic added badges, unless its a major steal.

I typically dont Extend Pressure, but have had decent luck when I do. It seems to drain PG stamina a bit quicker than I care for.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2016, 01:38 PM   #22
MVP

justlaze's Arena

I've really had some bad experiences in MTO today. Been already talking of getting paired with way lower leagues and different difficulty settings a week back, but today was kinda different. I just got matched with the most toxic players striving to exploit the gameplay at the fullest. The kind of players harassing with full court press, double teams and running 5 out with only athletic players. I usually stop that kind of bs, but this was just not my day.
I literally lost interest in playing the actual game. It's more fun building up and sniping than wasting time with these trash players...even if you win, it was all in all a negative experience. It's sad that facing a SIM opponent happens like 1 out of 10 games.

So what is the key to victory? Keep calm stick to the plan, try playing slow and use plays even if the opponent sits in your face all the time? Make a cheese team aswell to even out odds? I'm really sick and tired of most of the community now. Don't get me started with the black/white courts and stuff.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:40 PM   #23
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlaze
I've really had some bad experiences in MTO today. Been already talking of getting paired with way lower leagues and different difficulty settings a week back, but today was kinda different. I just got matched with the most toxic players striving to exploit the gameplay at the fullest. The kind of players harassing with full court press, double teams and running 5 out with only athletic players. I usually stop that kind of bs, but this was just not my day.
I literally lost interest in playing the actual game. It's more fun building up and sniping than wasting time with these trash players...even if you win, it was all in all a negative experience. It's sad that facing a SIM opponent happens like 1 out of 10 games.

So what is the key to victory? Keep calm stick to the plan, try playing slow and use plays even if the opponent sits in your face all the time? Make a cheese team aswell to even out odds? I'm really sick and tired of most of the community now. Don't get me started with the black/white courts and stuff.
I try to play sim for the most part, it gets out of hand at times. I've had a big problem with guys running Relentless finshers at every postion and just barrelling through contact I think it's pretty cheese. Mostly I have fun, I have no cheesy strategy, just solid knowledge of the game and a good selection of personnel. I don't let other people ruin the game for me, every game is different. If someone is really cheesin hard I'll just quit. As much as it feels good to have a great record, it really doesn't make much of a difference
Old 11-07-2016, 02:41 PM   #24
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlaze

I love this post. Not your misfortune, but your points.

Honestly, I have been using AUTO on offensive playcalling, with really good luck. Forces me to pace myself. If someone is running a trap defense, exploiting it should be easy. That being said, Ive had my own struggles with smother\deny offball trappers. One of which I faced again today, and dumped in his mamas mouth.

Patience is #1 for me. If I see an opportunity to fastbreak, I capitalize. Other than that, Im acting out the auto-play and looking for openings. Just because a play is running, doesnt mean you have to see it to the end for a shot to be created.

Pause cheesers frustrate me more than anything, tbh.Especially when I call a TO. I most definitely take my time, let the timeout run out, and get back out with nice and slow pace. People get really antsy about SIM/patient ballers.

Another point that I have to underline.....let these turbo idiots turbo away. Come 4th quarter, youll start seeing that little Gatorade "G" show up.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »