Home

Finally figured out why I was struggling in MTO

This is a discussion on Finally figured out why I was struggling in MTO within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-29-2016, 04:58 PM   #1
Rookie

billiethetree's Arena

OVR: 0

So I'm not the best player, but I made it to the Ruby league no problem but then missed the cutoff by 1 game to stay and got dropped back down. I was frustrated because while some of the teams I played beat me straight up, I had a lot of close games that felt like they came down to my guys just not making open shots and the other team hitting all kinds of junk. In fact, it felt like I could never take a contested shot ever and still missed a good portion of the open ones.

Well, I think I figured out the problem and it was definitely using square to shoot. This may seem obvious to some, but I've never felt comfortable shooting with the pro stick as square has been shoot to me for like a decade. I knew that you got a slight shooting boost for doing it right, but I figured that would be negated by my not being able to pull straight down and by the turnovers created from confusing my shots with dribble moves.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. I just played a game online where I said **** it, and it was like night and day. I was hitting contested shots, nailed most of my open jumpers and it felt like even when I messed up the stick release or got a bad timing they would still go in at a higher rate than square shots that barely missed being green. I know it was only one game, but it was so obvious a difference it was a hallelujah moment. I'm not expecting this to take me on a romp of the diamond league, but at least now I should be able to comfortably beat opponents I should beat rather than having every game be a nail biter.

So this is your PSA to anyone making the same mistake I was making. Do NOT use square to shoot, it's a huge disadvantage (in my experience, apparently others disagree so take it for what it's worth).

Last edited by billiethetree; 10-29-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2016, 05:04 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Finally figured out why I was struggling in MTO

Speak for yourself, don't spread BS because you just couldn't shoot, I only shoot with square and I barley miss open jumpers.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:13 PM   #3
Rookie

billiethetree's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyrieAbuser
Speak for yourself, don't spread BS because you just couldn't shoot, I only shoot with square and I barley miss open jumpers.

Whatever works for you man, just relating my experience. I doubt someone is going to read this and think 'Well, this is working way worse for me but I have to keep doing it because some guy on OS said so.'
Old 10-29-2016, 05:25 PM   #4
Rookie

Thanks for sharing this observation. At the beginning the game, I was using the shot stick but stopped when I realized how extreme the penalties were for being off to the right or left. I might give it another shot if people like you are having success with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2016, 05:41 PM   #5
Pro

For me it depends, I use different controls for different types of shots.

Attacking the basket, different types of layups, floaters, euro steps, dunks, etc, I only use the right stick. Also, I use the right stick for step back/spin shot. I also use the right stick for post moves, hooks, fades, and up and unders.

However, when doing a catch and shoot stand still shot and dribble pull ups I use square.

I developed this style a few years ago and stuck with it. I never have to think about what button I am going to use, this just works with me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2016, 05:45 PM   #6
Rookie

Matt_1979's Arena

I'm a square user too. How difficult was it to stick to using the Right stick??
Old 10-29-2016, 05:48 PM   #7
Rookie

Matt_1979's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba13laze
For me it depends, I use different controls for different types of shots.

Attacking the basket, different types of layups, floaters, euro steps, dunks, etc, I only use the right stick. Also, I use the right stick for step back/spin shot. I also use the right stick for post moves, hooks, fades, and up and unders.

However, when doing a catch and shoot stand still shot and dribble pull ups I use square.

I developed this style a few years ago and stuck with it. I never have to think about what button I am going to use, this just works with me.
This is exactly what I do.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:54 PM   #8
MVP

I've shot both ways in freestyle and I can't tell the difference except some quick releases are tougher using the stick and some releases feel really natural with the stick. Idk if there is a boost for using the shot stick...

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »