Home

Ewing or Sabonis...or Both?

This is a discussion on Ewing or Sabonis...or Both? within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-05-2016, 06:35 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Ewing or Sabonis...or Both?

[Just posted this on the Reddit sub, but wanted to see if anyone has thoughts here, as quality of discussion here is generally much higher...]

Usually, these "what should I do" posts annoy me, but...what should I do: complete and lock in the Big Men collection to get USA Ewing...or complete and lock in the Trailblazers for Sabonis?

I think the easy answer is Ewing, especially because of the Grandmama Dynamic Duo (and I have both Hornets collections completed, though not yet locked in). But I'm wondering what people think regarding the below. And also any general opinions from those who have played with both.
Some things I'm wondering:

SABONIS

How is his shot release? Not a weirdo one, like prior years' Horford and Laimbeer, is it? Is it particularly slow? If it's tough to time his shot, or too slow to get them off, then there's little point to his shooting ability.

How is he in the post? He has very nice Ratings. Not elite-elite, but close. But how does he feel, especially in relation to Ewing, but also to, say, Hakeem or Kareem?

How is his post-fade animation? Good separation/lean-back? Or upright and very blockable?

EWING

Well, basically same questions: how is his post-fade? How does he feel in the post? What's his jumpshot release like?

Also: does anyone know if there are any interesting tidbits hidden away in their Tendencies that one should take into consideration? How are their Standing Dunk tendencies? What's Sabonis's 3-point shooting tendency? What about fouling tendencies?

MORE THOUGHTS

Like I said, I think the easy answer is Ewing, for a variety of reasons. I think the reasons to take Sabonis over Ewing is a short list:
Sabonis is 3" taller.

Sabonis has that 80 Open 3 rating, and even 62 Contested 3.

Sabonis is a better passer.

Sabonis has better (less worse) Lat Quickness: 45 vs. 39.
But the list of Ewing pros is long:
Ewing is +5 Strength, +9 Vertical (after buff), +25/27 Speed/Acceleration, +8 Speed with Ball.

Ewing has really elite midrange shooting, +8/8 Open/Contested Mid. And is even viable off dribble, with 72 (+12) Off-Dribble Mid.

Ewing is the elite post man, basically maxed out for Post Control/Hook/Fade. And has 99 Standing Dunk after buff, Sabonis having 90.

Ewing is a meaninfully, maybe significantly better defender.

Ewing is a meaningfully better rebounder.

Ewing has dramatically better badging. Only thing special that Sabonis has is Clutch Performer, which is nice, but Ewing has Defensive Anchor and four Amethyst badges: Dream-Like, Drop-Stepper, Post Spin, and Brick Wall. In the end, he would have +2 total badges (not including personality).

Ewing has better shot zones: red in the restricted area, and red for both sides of the key. Sabonis is also red in the restricted area, and also at right elbow zone, but has a cold zone on right side of key and cold zone at the free throw line. So you can just forget about zones with Ewing, but have to keep them in mind when playing Sabonis.

Ewing buffs Diamond Larry Johnson in ways that, aggregately, are significant.
Ewing is the easy choice. But this is the thing: Sabonis is the one I feel like I want more, even if only out of novelty and the fact that it's the first elite Sabonis ever in the game.
Putting aside the sentimental intangible, Sabonis's shooting range is a potential game-changer. With him being a legit 3-point threat who camps outside the arc, that makes it much more dangerous to post up on one's opponent 1-4. Or run ISO hero ball. And having good outside shooting at 5 (while also being over 7' and with very good post offense and good post defense) means I have more room to run Ben Wallace at the 4.

BUDGET

Don't think anyone cares, but it's helpful for me to talk out loud as I debate this in my mind.

I'm on PC and I have about 300K in MT. I have all the Big Men aside from Wilt. I have all Current Blazers, and have gotten all the Historic Blazers, except for two Rubies (LMA and Duckworth), and two Sapphires (Batum and Kenny Anderson).

Whereas, when Big Men were hot, Wilt could've been had for 100K, I mistakenly thought people would continue to buy packs and price would drop below 100K. It's gone up...I've seen auctions get up north of 250K and, right now, there are a handful up for 200K. I think for this week, he can probably be had for 200K and maybe down closer to 100K if the 50-point scorers pack causes a bit of a market crash.

I also have a dupe Magic that, I assume, can raise 100K+ (again: PC). So if I buy Wilt for 200K, have 100K left over, can get 100K easily with my dupe Magic, and easily have another 100K in stuff I wouldn't mind selling (i.e. Ruby Majerle, Ruby Westbrook). So then I can easily get Ewing and still have 300K while Blazers packs are out and the remaining 2 Rubies and 2 Sapphires should not cost any more than 300K maximum.

So I think maybe I answered my own question: just buy Wilt now, if I'm afraid that price will not come down tomorrow and onward. I can still probably afford to get Sabonis before Blazers packs expire.

But maybe best to wait until tomorrow or the day after and chance that Wilt goes down in price as people offload big assets. Then I can definitely afford to get Ewing and Sabonis, though I'll then be MT-poor unless I sell cards with which I do not want to part.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Ewing or Sabonis...or Both?

Ewing is part of the best Duo in the game and I love dynamic duos, so Ewing, I would have got Ewing if I was still enjoying the game as much as I used to
Old 12-05-2016, 07:27 PM   #3
Pro

roboas's Arena

https://youtu.be/-L1BoW7gK2o
Old 12-05-2016, 07:30 PM   #4
Pro

roboas's Arena

His post game kinda sucks. His post fade animation doesn't look great, never tried it in game. But he blocks lots of stuff and makes up for it on D. He hits more than 50% from 3, and is more consistent than Diamond Mark Price.

A buddy and I each played each other in a friendly last night. His Sabonis was like 8-10 from 3 and dropped 40. Mine was only good for 25. If you want a post game, get Ewing. If you want a one of a kind 3 point jacking giant, get Sabonis.

Last edited by roboas; 12-05-2016 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:04 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboas
His post game kinda sucks. His post fade animation doesn't look great, never tried it in game. But he blocks lots of stuff and makes up for it on D. He hits more than 50% from 3, and is more consistent than Diamond Mark Price.

A buddy and I each played each other in a friendly last night. His Sabonis was like 8-10 from 3 and dropped 40. Mine was only good for 25. If you want a post game, get Ewing. If you want a one of a kind 3 point jacking giant, get Sabonis.
Thanks for the clip. Your account is encouraging. I don't necessarily want to be taking 10 x 3PA per game with him, but I really do want him to be, say, 50% if left to shoot uncontested.

People are gearing up for the 50's packs, clearly. On PC, Wilt has dropped from 225, to 200, to 180, and now there's a handful just under 180 and I imagine it'll continue to go down through next 24 hours. Hakeem's been dropping as well.

Now I'm actually wondering if I should be trying to sell off my Kareem and Lanier tonight and then rebuy them later.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2016, 09:24 PM   #6
Pro

roboas's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryl
Thanks for the clip. Your account is encouraging. I don't necessarily want to be taking 10 x 3PA per game with him, but I really do want him to be, say, 50% if left to shoot uncontested.
You'll want to take 20 3s once you play with him in the right scheme.

He's currently shooting 51.4% from 3 for me, and that fighting all the equalizer cheese. Also, the clutch performer badge is noticeable.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:57 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboas
You'll want to take 20 3s once you play with him in the right scheme.

He's currently shooting 51.4% from 3 for me, and that fighting all the equalizer cheese. Also, the clutch performer badge is noticeable.
What're you running for offense? I would imagine Hawks is good for keeping him outside the arc and the ball moving around, with off-ball cuts and he can actually initiate the offense, in it. Or Warriors.

Puts him inside the arc, but Princeton Chin can have everything flowing through him at the top of the key, inside the arc.

And there's 5-out, of course.

Think I might run him in a lineup with Magic, with shooters at 2, 3, and 4, and use that to let Magic work his mismatch in the paint, knowing that everyone he'd kick out to can knock down the three.

So, like...Magic / Rip or Majerle / Pierce / Walker / Sabonis
Old 12-05-2016, 10:09 PM   #8
Pro

roboas's Arena

Yes, Magic is ideal in that scheme. I have PD Jerry, but I'll sub in Magic if my opponent puts deny on Sabonis.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »