Home

I wish 2k at least tried to make historic ratings realistic

This is a discussion on I wish 2k at least tried to make historic ratings realistic within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-19-2016, 11:50 AM   #17
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: I wish 2k at least tried to make historic ratings realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithtotl
I almost forgot, one of my least favorites, Steve Francis!

He was never really that good. At best he was a poor man's Kevin Johnson. He was flashy and athletic, but his career shooting line was .429/.341/.797. He averaged 6 assists and 3.5 turnovers! He was a good rebounder for a PG but really, he was at his peak a 'good' NBA player, not a world beater like his NBA 2K card. A similar level award, Shawn Marion, was a really, really good NBA player in his prime. WAAAY more valuable than Francis.
Why use his career stats? His peak season (00-01 imo) was very good leading the rockets to 45-37 in a tough western conference. It's not like he had a great team around him either. Afterwards he started getting injuries and clearly he developed some mental issues as well. So yeah, his career ended up extremely underwhelming but this card represents him at his best and relative to most other cards it's not that much of a reach imo.

Also, as much as i like him, marion obviously benefited a lot from the suns run and gun system. His efficiency took a nosedive once he left there. You could say it was because of age (29-30) but i don't buy it. I don't remember him having had any serious injuries and he looked every bit as athletic on the raptors and heat as he did a year earlier on the suns.

I think both should be a little lower, about 87-88 ovr, but then again i believe most cards are overrated so...
Old 12-19-2016, 01:33 PM   #18
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithtotl
If we accept that the cards represent 'peak' seasons, they are inflated, but not INSANE.
Yeah, they are intended to reflect a peak time. And, yes, for shooting ratings of historics, inflated. Some ridiculously.

But I've accepted and don't mind that MyTeam is not a cross-era simulation. I can play another mode for that if I want.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:44 PM   #19
Pro

What about current players? They started some of them lower than they normally do but with the Moments system their ratings are going to be boosted and not reflect what they do on average.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #20
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kplayer099
What about current players? They started some of them lower than they normally do but with the Moments system their ratings are going to be boosted and not reflect what they do on average.
Starting Currents low is clearly part of strategyvto tease out excitement over the season.

And I don't think they intend to give Currents a Moments version that dramatically are overrated for the player they are this year overall. Maybe with some, but not many.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:04 PM   #21
Pro

Didn't the Playoffs cards end up being a diamond mine last year? I know why they are doing the moments system the way they are but the point is people try to make it seem like they only boost things on historical cards when that isn't true.

The thing is the current players have a chance of getting multiple upgrades and stats adjusted for those cards based off of one game. Historic cards aren't like that and some guys aren't going to get as many cards as the current day players will...obviously the more well known ones probably will.

Steph is shooting 40 percent from three and he has an open rating of 96 and 95 on the other two 3 point ratings IIRC. That is already boosted and IIRC he was under 40 percent when they dropped that card.

Last edited by 2kplayer099; 12-19-2016 at 02:43 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2016, 03:01 PM   #22
MVP

Quote:
Didn't the Playoffs cards end up being a diamond mine last year? I know why they are doing the moments system the way they are but the point is people try to make it seem like they only boost things on historical cards when that isn't true.
Yeah. I don't really care that much either way, anymore. For what it's worth, last year's Playoffs cards were at the very end of the game cycle. So I think a lot of people, at that point, are okay with there being, say, a Diamond KAT.

In contrast, Historic players this year have been buffed from the start and the 3-point buffs can be pretty ridiculous. I posted a comment on 2KMTC's entry for the Sapphire Reward Sarunas:

Quote:
This card is ridiculous. 88/84/78 Open/Contested/Dribble 3-point ratings is ludicrous for Sarunas. As a Warrior, in 227 total games, he shot 17-70 (0.243). Total. And, for this, he gets 3-point ratings that are pretty close the Miami Heat Ray Allen.

I totally want this card.

I'm a Golden State fan and can remember when Sarunas came to the Warriors. It was a very big deal. The NBA was not at all like today, full of international players. Sarunas was a pioneer and a big fan-favorite despite being only a supporting cast member to the Run T.M.C. main event.

Can't wait.
I think we have to look at this as a game that the devs "need" to balance out the same way that a fighting game's cast of fictional characters need to be balanced out.

Or don't concede "need," but still recognize that this is simply the way it is. There's little sense in complaining, or even noting, the historical inaccuracies any longer. It's not oversight.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:09 PM   #23
Pro

I accepted things weren't exactly accurate(and really MT is where you can put a dream team together and boost their stats with shoes)a long time ago but my point is some people need to stop pretending it is only the historic cards that get boosted.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:13 PM   #24
MVP

Quote:
I accepted things weren't exactly accurate(and really MT is where you can put a dream team together and boost their stats with shoes)a long time ago but my point is some people need to stop pretending it is only the historic cards that get boosted.
Yeah, I'm not disagreeing with you. That's definitely the case. There's a lot of creative rating going on with Currents, even in the lower OVR versions.

We all need to let go of the idea that the ratings are anything but an interpretation for the purpose of a game.

Sometimes I think it might actually have a positive impact on the game if they didn't release OVR ratings or rating breakdowns at all.

Let everyone just play and have their opinions on players/cards be based purely upon play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »