Home

Magic and the 50s collection

This is a discussion on Magic and the 50s collection within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-28-2016, 11:09 AM   #41
Pro

ChiliPalmer's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Magic and the 50s collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboas
I think your intuition is good. I've locked in nearly every collection possible, and I can tell you that about a week afterward, I come to somewhat regret my decision. The point is that you're locking in MT that you'll never get back, and you're making a statement that the return on your investment is someone that you'll be using for a long time. But the cards keep getting better in this game, so you're really not helping yourself in the long term.

Case in point: I got amethyst Magic for 50K over Thanksgiving and badged him out. Then I dropped 450K on the Cavs collection to get Mark Price. Price is a beast. Then I got PD Jerry West. West is Price with defense and speed. Then Diamond Magic came out. He's better than the amethyst, but only in a small way. West is on my bench and I have nowhere for Price. Never mind the coin i dropped on Tim Hardaway (he sucks) or the time I invested to get Tony Parker.

You will always be a week or two ahead of the curve by locking in these collections. The only one that I can truly say was "worth it" was the rockets one, because you get Sampson who is every bit as beastly as Shaq, and Clyde, who may not look like an outstanding SG on stats alone, but has incredible defense and an uncanny ability to score. He's the only guy that hasn't left my starting lineup, but there's a USA Clyde on the horizon and I'm sure he'll be better.
Well said. I agree with everything. Still torn haha.

I've only locked in the Larry Johnson collection and it was well worth it; he still is my starting PF. The only other collection i consider to lock is the Kings for Mitch. BUT - as I said its hard for me to not have the best version of Magic available as he is my favourite card. From a rational standpoint it makes no sense to lock in for Magic except you are going for PD Charles (which is not rational either).

I leave the decision to chance; if 2k releases Mitch on thursday i will see how much MT i have left. Otherwise I will monitor prices over the WE.

Reward DUNCAN
Diamond PORZINGOD

Bench: THE BIG O-GOONRICH-FlyersIGGY-GRANDMA-Ammy GERMINATOR
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-28-2016, 03:29 PM   #42
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Magic and the 50s collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPalmer
BUT - as I said its hard for me to not have the best version of Magic available as he is my favourite card. From a rational standpoint it makes no sense to lock in for Magic except you are going for PD Charles (which is not rational either).
If you are going to play the game all the way through the cycle, will not be chasing Barkley, and already have a badged-up Amethyst Magic, then I think you should wait for the PD Magic and try to make sure you're in position, MT-wise, to get him, should he be purchasable and/or a collection reward.

If the Hidden/Fake PD Magic is good indication, he will be a monster. Not quite like the AS MVP Magic last year with the silly outside shooting, but still a monster:

http://2kmtcentral.com/17/players/compare/2162/20033

It's not a HUGE step up from 95 OVR to 98 OVR Magic, but very meaningful. The +8 Lat Quickness to 98 means you have almost maxed-out Lat Quickness and don't think twice about having him defend the quickest PG's, while leaving a shoe for something else.

Like for Speed/Accel, which both get +4 to 89 and 90. And Speed w/Ball +8 to 95. Which means, with a shoe, Magic can have 98 / 99 / 95 speed ratings, which is totally ridiculous.

And then there's +18 to Post Fade, getting him to 78, which makes him decent there and really magnifies his post threat. Especially if you use the shoe here, to get Post Fade to 87 (and maybe, with same shoe, Post Control to 97 and Post Hook to 99).

The jump from ~95 to ~98 OVR usually doesn't seem incredibly dramatic, but it's always very meaningful in two or three significant ways. Like with last year's two different Diamond Oscars, or the difference between MVP/Dynamic Curry and the Playoffs Curry.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »