Home

Why King of Kings MyTEAM Tourney Is A Joke: From The Perspective of a Content Creator

This is a discussion on Why King of Kings MyTEAM Tourney Is A Joke: From The Perspective of a Content Creator within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-24-2017, 02:16 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Why King of Kings MyTEAM Tourney Is A Joke: From The Perspective of a Content Creator

I don't really post on OS and not sure if this is something that would be removed or taken down. But this is a hub for NBA 2K so I figured I'd also post it here. Originally posted by "TheSurrealAndre" on reddit's NBA2K forum:

Why King of Kings MyTEAM tournament is a joke: From the perspective of a content creator

Before I start I wanna let you know I'm a writer for SportsGamersOnline and you can find more of my work here: http://www.sportsgamersonline.com/author/andre2k/

Oh and I also have a YouTube channel, I think my stuff is kinda funny but I'd appreciate your opinion and/or subscription: youtube.com/TheSurrealAndre

I got a twitter too fam, my tweets pretty fire: @TheSurrealAndre
Instagram: TheSurrealAndre

Alright, so I think just about every year there tends to be some post about how or why KOK sucks. I'm here to give you the perspective of a content creator.
Note: It doesn't matter if you got 100-1,000-10K subs or followers, if you make content about 2K on youtube or twitch, I classify you as a content creator for the game too.

Now, after skipping out on entering last year I was already planning to enter this thing in 2K17. I basically thought, if LosChickens could win one, anybody can if they play the right way. I had already read the posts in previous years about the drama and politics within this tourney. Not my business though so won't speak on it.
But even with that in mind, I still wanted to play just to say I did. I had hit up JArthur about what the entry process involved. I asked him about the autobids that happened in KOK2 and if that was still the case, mainly cause I wanted to know how quickly I needed my team built. Pre-lims start way before the actual bracket games, or they did last year anyway.

(Autobid: free pass to skip the prelims and be placed into main tournament brackets)

He hit me on some: "Yeah, some got in. Others still had to play prelims. I'll talk to Frank and let you know."

Now... I grew up in New York.. and you can kinda just FEEL niggas' energy sometimes even if you don't really HEAR it, you know what I mean?
I let it slide cause I'm not the go off on people type, unless something explicitly disrespectful is said to put me in my feelings. He told me to sign up anyway and he'd hit me back if anything. He never reaches back out to me and come to find out I got placed in the prelim bracket.

Alright, cool. I'll win my way in?
That's where I ****ed up.

I practice for over a week just to lose to iLeefy (previous champion) by 28 I think? Shoutout to him, he 100% beat my ***. And that was the only game I could play to get in because 2 of our other bracket members dropped out (nobody replaced them it was straight up best of 3 from there). Not very organized or fair there cause that's two more people that could've gotten spots to play. Not to mention it would've actually given me a chance to still make it in by beating other people in the bracket.

5 people from each team got picked, y'all know KOK had over 1K entries last year (supposedly)? I'm sure more people would've been willing to replace them.

Mad people wanna play in it, and the sad part is, the best players more than likely didn't (and won't) get in. On some real talk, the best 2K players are people we DO NOT know. Those childish niggas that message you after a bad pro-am or park game-- they might be annoying, but those are the ones. Those top of the ranked Play-Now leaderboard dudes with the most ignorant gamertags. Some of y'all probably reading this right now and agreeing cause you know if you got a chance to play one of these wack content creators and win by 30, you'd get your name out there (if you care about that). And that's not to say all the content creators in it are wack, some of them are good, but not all of them. Some of them are just names.

I just don't see the logic in that when Frank White talks about this being "for the community" and "for people to make a name for themselves." The only reason I even made it in the pre-lims was cause I had a youtube channel (youtube.com/TheSurrealAndre), but the reason I didn't get an autobid is cause I just wasn't big enough for their standards. Either that or I didn't kiss their asses enough, and I'm not bout that ****. And although I'm not one of these big number dudes, I found my way to 2K team-up in the 3 odd years I been doing Youtube and a few devs even know me by name at this point.
Mind you, my channel ain't the biggest (youtube.com/TheSurrealAndre) but I been doing this thing for a while (2K13, to be exact) and I don't think I put out bad content. But because I didn't have enough "clout," I couldn't even get a response about an autobid. I'm not saying I should be entitled to anything because of the little success I have, but if it's a numbers game then are y'all really looking for the best? Or the biggest? Or your friends, really?

This is a tournament concept with more interest than most tournaments 2K have organized themselves.

Imagine the level of organization of that annual Pro-Am tourney LD2K commentates on + the level of fan interest as KOK?

Game highlights uploaded on a designated youtube channel, established rules with moderators watching every game, the whole 9 yards. Think big here. How do you think Starcraft, Dota, ect have so much success on twitch? It's all about presentation and execution.

And this is why I'm disappointed. Cause the concept of this tournament is so good that it's a shame this is the way it's run. Mind you, there is NO HATE in this whatsoever directed at the youtubers and streamers involved in it, I would be too if I could be (not anymore). But this is an idea that the MyTEAM community should build on as Madden has and it's being held back by inconsistent rules, poor moderating, and favoritism; KOK2 was a perfect example of that when youtubers who even lost got to re-enter. But now I got to see it for myself.

I was too washed at the game to win my way in and y'all can say maybe I'm salty I didn't get to play (a lil bit), but that's why I chose to let whoever else cared, know what was up with this tournament: ain't nothing but a popularity contest.

Hope this was insightful to anyone who wanted to play in KOK but didn't.

Maybe I could organize a tournament next year? SportsGamersOnline offered me the chance to be involved in a Play Now one, but I wanna do something with MyTEAM. If I can build enough of a backing, I'll definitely work towards it for 2K18.

Be good and thank you for reading my drunk thoughts.
Andre2K/TheSurrealAndre
#KnicksTape
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2017, 04:44 AM   #2
Banned

jschmib's Arena

Re: Why King of Kings MyTEAM Tourney Is A Joke: From The Perspective of a Content Cre

Holy ****.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:10 AM   #3
Rookie

Re: Why King of Kings MyTEAM Tourney Is A Joke: From The Perspective of a Content Cre

I know, right? lol
Old 06-24-2017, 07:04 AM   #4
MVP

justlaze's Arena

Nice post Dre. You lit fam - I got your back if you organize the tourney! Cheers, Laszlo
Old 06-29-2017, 08:47 AM   #5
Rookie

Matt_1979's Arena

My favourite Youtuber! Keep up the great content
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »