Home

Running plays in MTO

This is a discussion on Running plays in MTO within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-24-2017, 03:31 PM   #41
MVP

P234thetruth's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Running plays in MTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offballer4life
I would suggest practicing the PB offline and seeing what plays work for you, and how quickly they trigger. Most of the "quick..." plays trigger quickly. It also helps having your offense in a set that is conducive to the play. i.e. calling a horns play from a 5out set may take an extra 2 seconds compared to calling it from a Horns set.

SamPham is a good resource on youtube.

Something Ive gotten in the habit of doing online when I have a comfortable lead is trying new plays out of my book. Ones Im unfamiliar with. Rarely does one run that doesnt create at least one good look. If the shot clock gets under 10secs or so without any solid movement, I just call a manual pick to cancel the play motion.

Also, its imperative IMHO to learn the play terminoligies. i.e. Know that "9" typically signifies a double pick. Thats a major one.

Playcalling was terribly overwhelming for me up until last year. I learned 3 or 4 solid plays and every player action during those plays.

Also, using (hold)triangle to send a cut during a play can be very useful. I didnt really use that much until this year.

Bottom line for those that get flustered with the playcalling system....Nets PB and SamPhams videos. He breaks down many different plays in a very comprehensive manner. Highly recommended.

Trust me....it make take a little time to adjust, but youll never look back. My general basketball IQ has jumped drastically since really learning a single PB. Good luck.

EDIT...regarding your playbook not loading to your game....use the matching coach and this wont happen ever again. Kenny Atkinson for me. I havent encountered this issue since switching to him.
I use the Nets playbook too Quick 93/Quick 21 are good ones and Fist 91 for your pg like mentioned above. Any other fast triggering money plays you care to share?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2017, 03:43 PM   #42
Pro

Bi00's Arena

Punch 5 something for your quick iso post up with the C.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:47 PM   #43
Rookie

SkunnySF's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scramz718
This video should help

https://youtu.be/-tigmudQrHA

Czar's channel is a gold mine. Sadly those "how to score every time" money plays videos with little substance pop up when searching through YouTube.

Finding they right plays that work well online takes time. I usually run through every play for each team until I find a playbook with at least 3 plays I think would work online. I mostly focus on mid range & 3pt plays. I use manual PnRs and post ups work so I don't need set plays. I found a few on the Sixers PB so I only had to do one team.

Tbh freelance sets are really good, you don't need to run set plays. Especially the ones that been updated, Knicks, Hawks, corners & Horns.

Da_Czar's channel is cool but it can be long and dragged out, he has like 2 hour vids and gets distracted a lot. Plus I got sick of his deep *** voice.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 01-24-2017, 06:45 PM   #44
Rookie

bottledwaterfan25's Arena

OVR: 4

Any recommendations for a playbook that would be useful for my teams build?

My team is built around James Harden at the point, surrounded by shooters. I love the pick and roll, and would like to ideally find a playbook that has some double screens up top with the post players, and the 2, and 3 in either corner.

That way I can attack the rim, or dish it off to the corner shooters if they send help. I've tried a few playbooks out but haven't found one with these types of plays yet, or if I did find one that was decent, the plays would take way too long to develop, and I'd be left with like 4 seconds to find a shot. Thanks
"I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan
Old 01-25-2017, 12:03 AM   #45
Pro

GrimaceZ7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offballer4life
SamPham is a good resource on youtube.
SamPham is okay, but he spends too much time talking about how great he is, and I find renaming 50 year old basketball actions and pretending that he created them to be silly and pointless. The give and go has been around in not just basketball but soccer and hockey for over half a century, but Pham decided to rename it the "Katana" for some unknown reason.

BlackRain's videos are a lot better. He skips the self-promotion and just teaches you the plays.

ItsNick is another one. He and BlackRain are neck and neck. He's another one that skips the ego and just teaches the plays.

Maybe my favorite though is Flops&Floaters. He might very well be renaming actions and bragging about how he's in the top 1% of 2k players like Pham, but if he is, he's doing it in German. All of this guy's videos are in German, but you still get the point. And he breaks down the plays in slow motion and in much deeper detail than anyone else. Watch this one on the best play in the game and you'll see how deep he gets.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2017, 12:20 PM   #46
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimaceZ7
Maybe my favorite though is Flops&Floaters. He might very well be renaming actions and bragging about how he's in the top 1% of 2k players like Pham, but if he is, he's doing it in German. All of this guy's videos are in German, but you still get the point. And he breaks down the plays in slow motion and in much deeper detail than anyone else. Watch this one on the best play in the game and you'll see how deep he gets.
Damn man, I was completely shocked reading the name of my Youtube Channel here as it is a very little one
Happy you like my videos. I'm currently searching for the next playbook to break down some plays of, if you have any suggestions let me know.
Btw I can assure you I'm not bragging and renaming

Personally I also watch ItsNick since hes not only showing the usual "cheesy money plays" that every youtuber does but more so a lot of solid plays. His videos often are alsovery short and easy to understand.

Last edited by mexxelektrik; 01-25-2017 at 12:21 PM. Reason: missing part of a sentence
Old 01-25-2017, 12:30 PM   #47
Pro

Bi00's Arena

I just subbed ItsNick and what I like about his videos is that he breaks down what the likely outcome of each play will be. It's a nice way to get some experience of a play without using it a bunch.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:51 PM   #48
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimaceZ7

ItsNick is another one. He and BlackRain are neck and neck. He's another one that skips the ego and just teaches the plays.
Just watched his videos on horns freelance and I have a new goal to master that. Wow it really looks dynamic and fun to play. I have been really enjoying the mavericks playbook. It really has some great action. Hoping to pair a few of those plays with this horns freelance being my primary offense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »