Home

Diamond and PD card rating boost discussions

This is a discussion on Diamond and PD card rating boost discussions within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-15-2017, 11:02 AM   #57
MVP

OVR: 17
Re: Diamond and PD card rating boost discussions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defconxx
I disagree, I think this update is mainly designed to make the locker plague more palatable to the community, we've been there before, we know what's coming with this. Last year they didn't bother updating rewards when they released those cheesy TBT diamonds, why would they do it now?

On top of that, making such massive change so late in the game cycle, demonstrates that the way they planned things didn't work this year and they still have no idea on how to run this mode properly.

I agree the locker code also have a lot to do with the update.

They did upgrade the collection reward cards mid cycle last year too. I remember Stocton, Hakeem and others getting boost.

We all know they messed up on planning things out. Should we crucify them for making adjustments tho.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:06 AM   #58
Pro

GrimaceZ7's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlaze
The question is who is making insignificant statements without showing any reaction to given facts? Go ahead and rant along, it doesn't look like your up for constructive dialogue. Sorry for the value drop of your moments cards.
This is a great forum where people tend to treat each other with more respect than you find elsewhere. There's no need to have this type of argument over a video game. I'm not singling you out over the other guy or anything, I'm just saying.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:19 AM   #59
Rookie

AsYouSwish's Arena

Ok, after taking some time to think about it I personally don't like this update. That said, I can also see why a lot of people like it.

I tend to be very calculated with video game economies. I manage my MT with a long-term outlook and try to get cards that will bring me good value. I purposefully did not complete the historic reward collections because I didn't think they would provide me with good long term value. And if I didn't think they would have long-term value and they require you to lock in a bunch of other lower end cards they didn't seem worthwhile to get even if they would have given my team a large short/mid-term boost.

And I've always considered this an advantage I have over the general My Team consumer, I can do more with my MT than most. When the ratings are changed later on I think of it as 2k rewarding those that didn't plan with the same outlook as I did. It reduces the impact of one of my advantages.

This, of course, is great for those people who have completed historic and collection rewards (and I have a few cards that benefited too). And it adds more relevance to many of those cards. But to me it seemed like 2k just gave some people who invested in those cards and later had buyer's remorse an easy reset.

Either way, I can't change what 2k did so I'm going to re-evaluate my squad and go back at it. I dislike this update but I'll adapt, keep playing, and see what I can do to improve my own strategies and team.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:20 AM   #60
MVP

justlaze's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPalmer
I did. So, wheres your argument?
Is it a totalitarian system or not? Do you see any chances 2k will do whatever the **** they want if you never complain? Do you know of any sports game that changed the system in the middle of the cycle? If so, which one? Are there other kids who are not in this forum who might think differently from you? Was my "rant" about any of your cards and if you like them better now?
I think 2K deserves a lot of criticism in regard of aspects like dropping locker codes, server stability & disconnect policies, customer support etc. and you have all right to call it a totalitarian system.

Yet, people should also recognize when it's time to give them props.

This patch, which of course is a huge intervention, has been made with the intention to stabilize the meta, reward people grinding and balancing the card system, which definitely was unbalanced with the USA Cards being way better than any regular reward or TBT diamond. They made it in way, where USA Cards still can hold on to their status as "top cards", so their is no reason to ask for further upgrades on the USA cards.

Referring to other sports games, no I don't know of any other example.
But do you honestly believe that accepting managent failure as company and trying to solve the problem instead of ignoring it, is a reason to call out on them? Most bigger companies wouldn't ever acknoledge mistakes like that and therefore 2K deserves a thumbs up. And not only they are acknoledging the failures of the system, but they give solutions in this case.

Just because there was no example in the past does it automatically mean it's a bad move? Anyway how old are you calling me a kid almost every post? If it's because miss spellings, well english ain't my mother tongue.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:38 AM   #61
Pro

GrimaceZ7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsYouSwish
Ok, after taking some time to think about it I personally don't like this update. That said, I can also see why a lot of people like it.

I tend to be very calculated with video game economies. I manage my MT with a long-term outlook and try to get cards that will bring me good value. I purposefully did not complete the historic reward collections because I didn't think they would provide me with good long term value. And if I didn't think they would have long-term value and they require you to lock in a bunch of other lower end cards they didn't seem worthwhile to get even if they would have given my team a large short/mid-term boost.

And I've always considered this an advantage I have over the general My Team consumer, I can do more with my MT than most. When the ratings are changed later on I think of it as 2k rewarding those that didn't plan with the same outlook as I did. It reduces the impact of one of my advantages.

This, of course, is great for those people who have completed historic and collection rewards (and I have a few cards that benefited too). And it adds more relevance to many of those cards. But to me it seemed like 2k just gave some people who invested in those cards and later had buyer's remorse an easy reset.

Either way, I can't change what 2k did so I'm going to re-evaluate my squad and go back at it. I dislike this update but I'll adapt, keep playing, and see what I can do to improve my own strategies and team.
That's all valid, but it's all just fake money. I don't worry about what will hold MT value down the road, because I generate a bunch of MT everyday. Honestly, I think things that will have MT value late in the game are less valuable than right now. We're what? over halfway through the cycle right now? Saving MT or "investing" in cards that will have value later in the game means that you'll get something that is OP with not much time left to use it. I'd rather enjoy things continually than save up to have a bash for a month and then the new game comes out.

I like the Historic collections because it gets you to use different players. Last year, the Playoffs cards were so OP that everyone used them. Or at least the people I played did. So you'd see the same team over and over again, and I hated having to use those guys myself but they were better than the guys I wanted to use. I never see anyone else using Diamond Chambers and Gilmore, and those two cards are amongst the best in the game at their positions.

This all helps with variety, and I think that's a positive. The kids are going to favor the current guys and the early 00s guys like Carter, TMac and Penny, but to be able to take a dump all over someone's Penny parade with Clyde Frazier is pretty cool, I think. And when you knock down a couple threes with Chambers and then your opponent pauses to look at his atts, that's fun too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2017, 11:46 AM   #62
Pro

ChiliPalmer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlaze
I think 2K deserves a lot of criticism in regard of aspects like dropping locker codes, server stability & disconnect policies, customer support etc. and you have all right to call it a totalitarian system.

Yet, people should also recognize when it's time to give them props.

This patch, which of course is a huge intervention, has been made with the intention to stabilize the meta, reward people grinding and balancing the card system, which definitely was unbalanced with the USA Cards being way better than any regular reward or TBT diamond. They made it in way, where USA Cards still can hold on to their status as "top cards", so their is no reason to ask for further upgrades on the USA cards.

Referring to other sports games, no I don't know of any other example.
But do you honestly believe that accepting managent failure as company and trying to solve the problem instead of ignoring it, is a reason to call out on them? Most bigger companies wouldn't ever acknoledge mistakes like that and therefore 2K deserves a thumbs up. And not only they are acknoledging the failures of the system, but they give solutions in this case.

Just because there was no example in the past does it automatically mean it's a bad move? Anyway how old are you calling me a kid almost every post? If it's because miss spellings, well english ain't my mother tongue.
Well, because until now i havent heard any grown-up comments and thought you must be like 12. I can live with your comments above though as I disagree but can somehow follow you. Your argument is based on the hypothesis, that the only intention of all updates is to correct a mistake. I dont think that is the case here and with 2k in general. Example: The smallest upgrades were for Shaq and Dr. J and I'm curious if they will throw out a better version of them...

Also, "unbalanced" is a subjective opinion. I would argue some USA cards deserve upgrades, others would not. Fact is, its an intervention that affects TONS of things that we havent even discussed here (diamond shoes and boosted ratings for example).
Reward DUNCAN
Diamond PORZINGOD

Bench: THE BIG O-GOONRICH-FlyersIGGY-GRANDMA-Ammy GERMINATOR
Old 02-15-2017, 11:58 AM   #63
Pro

Next year 2k knows exactly what to do in terms of MyTeam and MyCareer (assuming they keep it the same and chances are they will considering the profits they made this year).

I will be on guard if I ever do decide to buy VC again. They are getting smarter at tricking consumers and lying to us, so I will have to be prepared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knick9
IMO opinion interest in the mode faded after release because after a certain point there's not much to do and it gets really monotonous, same problem every year. So to spike interest and VC sales they start throwing in ridiculous cards which messes up the balance even more and then it's just an arms race, a **** show of cheese. They need to introduce something into the mode that has lasting playability and long-term rewards.
The amount of work between adding a new mode and a new card is drastic. Either of us could add new cards in 10 minutes, no real work required. Adding a new mode would take ACTUAL work.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:03 PM   #64
Pro

Bi00's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPalmer
Your argument is based on the hypothesis, that the only intention of all updates is to correct a mistake. I dont think that is the case here and with 2k in general. Example: The smallest upgrades were for Shaq and Dr. J and I'm curious if they will throw out a better version of them...
I don't think you have to separate decisions between good for the players or good for 2K profits. In general, I think any move that promotes the longevity and competitive balance for the game is best for both.

Also, the smallest upgrade to historic rewards was actually to Drexler which was complete skipped due to his conflict with the USA reward.

When I view these changes in the perspective of a completely new MyTeam player, the game is a lot healthier now than it was before the rating updates.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »