Home

Upgrade Fatigue

This is a discussion on Upgrade Fatigue within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-15-2017, 08:56 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Upgrade Fatigue

Something harryl said in another thread got me thinking...

We all wait on pins and needles every two weeks to see what the new collection will be and which cards we need to gather VC or MT for, but it's starting to feel tedious. Is anyone else getting upgrade fatigue?

We're at the point in the game where any upgrades most of us make are going to be minor. Our teams are full of Amethyst and Diamond players already. Despite the fact that I'm pretty happy with my team, I've spent way more time sniping in recent weeks than playing the game, and for what? So I can marginally upgrade my team with a player I might not even like that much. I thought about selling Diamond Dikembe to get Dwight Howard, and I hate Dwight Howard!

The question is, when does it end? When do we stop chasing our tails to upgrade a 95 overall McGrady to a 97 overall Vince Carter?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2017, 09:13 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Upgrade Fatigue

It's sort of like this every year. I think it was 2k14 where the majority of cards were released day one (remember each historic team had their own historic pack, I remember pulling diamond wilt very early in the game cycle).

Since then it's kind of been a tedious grind. They do it to try and get people spending money all year. Very slowly few cards are released with minor upgrades until the playoffs when in one last stride to keep people interested in the game they dump a ton of over inflated guys all at once.

I don't really like this system. I see why they do it. Pack opening is a gambling system that encourages people to continue spending due to unpredictable results.

However, I much prefer they just have a giant store with every card in the game available for a fixed price. Then you earn coin via gameplay, challenges, etc, and slowly buy better players to improve your team. That way you are purely rewarded for dedicated game play and there's no pay thousands of dollars for best players bull ****. That would be a true RPG type of game.

Pipe dreams though.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:30 PM   #3
MVP

It never ends until the game ends, and then it's just a new game cycle.

Just think back to last year's Playoffs Diamonds and how they put everything else to shame and one "had to" have them.

It's inherent to the nature of the game as it is presented to us. The only way to escape it is to detach oneself from chasing the latest/best cards, which requires one, to some extent, to detach oneself from winning as the goal of the game.

Try to focus more on playing the way you want to and finding something fulfilling in that. Like executing your freestyle/plays with precision. Or playing as best as you can with sentimental favorites. Or playing lockdown D, even if offense suffers. Or mastering post moves.

Find parts of the process of playing that makes playing the object of playing. Which, if you think about it, should be the whole point of games.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:00 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickstank
Something harryl said in another thread got me thinking...

We all wait on pins and needles every two weeks to see what the new collection will be and which cards we need to gather VC or MT for, but it's starting to feel tedious. Is anyone else getting upgrade fatigue?

We're at the point in the game where any upgrades most of us make are going to be minor. Our teams are full of Amethyst and Diamond players already. Despite the fact that I'm pretty happy with my team, I've spent way more time sniping in recent weeks than playing the game, and for what? So I can marginally upgrade my team with a player I might not even like that much. I thought about selling Diamond Dikembe to get Dwight Howard, and I hate Dwight Howard!

The question is, when does it end? When do we stop chasing our tails to upgrade a 95 overall McGrady to a 97 overall Vince Carter?
get used to it. this model has made 2k rich and as long as you guys $upport it then it will stay. but if you post real talk like me people hate you on this forum.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:46 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8board
get used to it. this model has made 2k rich and as long as you guys $upport it then it will stay. but if you post real talk like me people hate you on this forum.
2k being successful is the reason this game has many game play options and different content. Your constant negative "real talk" gets very old. If you dislike it so much just walk away. I will buy vc and upgrade as I choose because I have money and can. I do enjoy the game of basketball and 2k is pretty good for a video game.

If this forum was full of your "real talk" I would never visit or post. I really enjoy the real content where people share the finer points of the game and other tips and techniques that I have not thought of. Just play the game for fun and quit worrying about win loss records, Mt devaluation and the same old rehashed issues that steal the best this game can offer.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2017, 06:06 AM   #6
Pro

NoLeafClover's Arena

As I said previously, the goal for me is always just to grab good versions of who were my favourite players in real life and try to dominate with them, otherwise you just end up a hamster on 2K's treadmill blowing money chasing 1 OVR upgrades which I've never understood.

I was stoked that Alonzo Mourning was a diamond this year as I use him as my C every year, and he now got upgraded even further so I am happy to keep him paired with ruby Tim Hardaway. Same with amethyst James Harden, the card is amazing and he kills people for me, no need at all to upgrade to diamond.

Now I just want to round out my roster with guys like the amy versions of Kidd, Shawn Kemp, Hakeem, etc. and have fun.

The only card I am waiting for is another Mullin as emerald is a bit too much of a drop off, but I'll be fine with an Amethyst and don't need to blow a wad of cash for the Dream Team version that will be made obsolete in a few months anyway.

Save yourself the stress and money and just build a team you enjoy IMO.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 02-16-2017, 06:45 AM   #7
MVP

It is up to the player

Last year I started with a line-up of
Curry/Klay/LBJ/KD/AD
Then when I reached seed 1 I replaced Klay with Mullin

I used this line-up unti all-ster weekend where I bought ASG Mitch and then TBT Cavaliers LBJ

Only after P.O period with MT I had stacked I did some Diamond upgrades with relative cheap players

This year also my line-up is not so expensive

I do not understand why I should spent 200K to upgrade from Amy Kobe to Diamond T-Mac. The upgrade will be minor and the Rockets T-Mac will be highly depreciated.

The fact that I do not have a very expensive squad has not prevent me from being in my 3rd prestige. This upgrade fatique is clearly marketing, but same applies to all markets

E.g do you REALLY need to upgrade your mobile every year that a new better model comes out?
Old 02-16-2017, 11:09 AM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by landman2069
2k being successful is the reason this game has many game play options and different content. Your constant negative "real talk" gets very old. If you dislike it so much just walk away. I will buy vc and upgrade as I choose because I have money and can. I do enjoy the game of basketball and 2k is pretty good for a video game.

If this forum was full of your "real talk" I would never visit or post. I really enjoy the real content where people share the finer points of the game and other tips and techniques that I have not thought of. Just play the game for fun and quit worrying about win loss records, Mt devaluation and the same old rehashed issues that steal the best this game can offer.
bro keep spending money, no one is stopping you.

i hope you're looking forward to upgrading your team even more next year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »