Home

Lessons from My First Year of MyTeam

This is a discussion on Lessons from My First Year of MyTeam within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-15-2017, 07:05 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Lessons from My First Year of MyTeam

I've played NBA 2K for years, but this is the first year I've ever tried MyTeam. Overall it's been a great experience, but it's also been very eye opening. Here's what I've learned so far...

-Playing the pack luck game is probably a bad idea, so I should hang onto my money
-MT is precious if you don't buy a lot of VC, so don't throw it away on nonsense like I did earlier in the year
-The auction house can be really fun, but don't let the scales tip too far towards sniping over actually playing the game
-I prefer playing with players I really like instead of a player you don't like who might have better attributes
-2K doesn't appear to have a solid game plan for card releases and just makes it up as they go along, which leads to cards like Diamond Jimmer Fredette
-MTO gets crazier as time goes on because of the souped up cards, which could lead to diminishing returns on the experience
-Someone I think will be an "end game" player in the early or middle part of the game probably won't be
-2K's customer service is garbage and the servers are a legacy issue that might never get fixed

For those who have played MyTeam for years, what other takeaways should I have so I'm not surprised next year?

I'm also curious what you think is the best order of operations for playing. Should I start MTO early next year and try to beat it before all the cards are insane, or is it better to start with domination, build MT and get the reward players before jumping into MTO? I want to make the most of my time and my experience in 2K18.

Also, I really appreciate the advice many of you have given on everything from badging up players to defensive strategies to lineup suggestions. This forum easily has the best atmosphere and most helpful people of any that I've been on. Kudos to all of you!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2017, 07:37 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Lessons from My First Year of MyTeam

I think many on these boards complain about the fantasy ratings because we want a change. Its pretty much been like this for years.

But if they are making more money with these crazy cards at least give the sim guys who like building fantasy teams a mode to play where you wont have to face a team where MJ is chilling on the bench.

I really want a seperate MTO restricted mode where team building matters more and there are more weaknesses to exploit in the team instead of exploiting the games animations and defensive ai.

If they create a draft champions mode that is rewarding to play, I will prob spend more time there next year.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:43 PM   #3
MVP

It's my 3rd year in MyTeam and I probably won't ever play the mode again.
Online modes are cheesy every year but MyTeam becomes a cheesefest on purpose releasing diamond fredetes, Scolas and 99 speed centers every year.

I am a very competitive guy but still I can't believe the rage I get from MTO.

If I add that usually I have to pay additional money to be competitive in this mode to endure this gameplay torture is a nightmare. You can pay 50 bucks for packs that MAYBE will get you a great player who will be devaluated in 2 weeks.

Also the gameplay is bad as hell as all these players have no weaknesses. You lose any simulation of basketball when you can't pick your poison in defense.

I will keep my peace of mind and stick to free pno and myleague and keep the extra money to buy other games
Old 03-15-2017, 09:23 PM   #4
MVP

This is my third year of MyTeam and I'm on PC and while I now have a list of folks with whom I can play friendlies, and that's *okay*, I'm finally admitting that it's not satisfying to play MyTeam on PC, at least.

As most people know, it is usually impossible, or takes forever to get an MTO match. When I do, it's against the same tiny handful of guys. And those of us who actually play MTO at Sapphire or above all seem to have at least a low-grade god squad. I'd really like to be able to get games on demand, and have at least *some* shot of being matched up with a non-god-squad if I play a lower OVR lineup.

I'm also tired of the crazy inflation of prices on PC AH. Which has been fueled by, I assume, only-on-PC ways to farm MT or VC. Right now, for whatever reason, MT is extremely expensive by PC standards (still cheap by console standards: 1M for, say, $175). I don't buy MT or VC and it's annoying to try to "make money" in an economy that is subject to crazy external forces and lack of predictability. And which, even at its low point, has very high prices, relative to in-game MT earning.

So if I play again with 2K18, it will be on console.

I think the key point to realize, with MyTeam, is that it's a game that builds in Planned Obsolescence to an extreme degree. The trajectory of the game is to unrelentingly make prior cards obsolete and "force" upgrading.

So, if behaving rationally and playing the game across the entirety of its cycle, one should never buy expensive cards in the first 25% of the cycle. Maybe even not for entire first 75% of the cycle, except for unicorns like Diamond Robinson and Diamond Magic. One even has to question the worth of these cards.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:56 PM   #5
Pro

Bi00's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickstank
I'm also curious what you think is the best order of operations for playing. Should I start MTO early next year and try to beat it before all the cards are insane, or is it better to start with domination, build MT and get the reward players before jumping into MTO? I want to make the most of my time and my experience in 2K18.
This is only my 2nd year in MT but I've been playing a ton this year.

If I play 2K18, I would have these goals in mind:

- Focus on AH for the beginnning of the game, apparently this year the first couple of weeks, you could have been a killing on reselling bronzes. People were making hundreds of thousands flipping them before the market caught on.

- Evaluate card's lasting value based on 2K17's scale. It's pretty much known now that 2K17 went completely crazy with ratings compared to 2K16. The best cards are much better this year and we should be evaluating next year based on that.

- Take it slow in MTO. There doesn't seem to be a reason to rush MTO because finishing it basically means finishing the game. I'm glad I held off this year until I assembled a team that I liked.

- All of the other tips are AH market related that I've learned this year.

I really liked the gameplay this year but I don't know if I could stomach another year of MT if the auto-loss and fraud detection system aren't revamped.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2017, 12:14 AM   #6
Pro

I learned that with 2K even dropping 2 thousand actual dollars gets you nothing more than regret for the rest of your life and more silvers than you can count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2017, 01:30 AM   #7
Rookie

Can I ask about what the lag situation on PC is? Is it better or worse than console?

I am from Australia, and the lag can range from playable, to really unfun (aka IceSkating2k17).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 03-19-2017, 01:46 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballaz
Can I ask about what the lag situation on PC is? Is it better or worse than console?

I am from Australia, and the lag can range from playable, to really unfun (aka IceSkating2k17).
I'm on PC currently (Germany) and it's pretty much as you described. But the ice skating experience happens way too often for me to really enjoy it (about 50% of time I'd say). I will never understand how I can play CS:GO 32vs32 without a tiny bit of lag while having a really hard time with a 1on1 match in 2k

I'm thinking about moving to console for next year. I'm kinda hoping it's just some kind of bad porting to PC that's causing most of the issues. Any insights on this or some kind of comparison (console vs PC online experience) would be appreciated!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »