Home

Are the Holiday Packs a good thing?

This is a discussion on Are the Holiday Packs a good thing? within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-17-2017, 02:48 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Are the Holiday Packs a good thing?

The Diamond Paul Pierce card is basically a 97 or a 98 (super low intangibles) and it's going for 60-70K already on the PS4 auction house, which means everybody and their mom will have him. I get that 2K probably wants to make some great cards accessible to just about everyone, but the insane odds devalue some great cards that were just recently released like Diamond Durant, Diamond T Mac and Diamond Melo. Pierce's attributes are on that level, and he's gonna cost next to nothing which seems like a slap in the face to people who spent a ton of time sniping to build MT or put in a lot of money to get those cards.

I'm already sick of seeing Yao every game, but now it will be Pierce, Yao and Archibald in a ton of lineups. That's great for the super budget ballers who don't snipe, but is it actually good for the game or the mode?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2017, 02:55 PM   #2
Pro

anditbeg1ns's Arena

Re: Are the Holiday Packs a good thing?

The advantage you create by sniping and building MT will be reduced / minimized as the year goes on. Budget ballers will be able to get good cards for cheap toward year end. The game goes through the same cycle every year. That's why getting good at the game itself is the most important advantage you can have, 2k can't take that away from you.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 03-17-2017, 03:44 PM   #3
Pro

Bi00's Arena

Personally, I like Holiday packs because they help me build MT throughout the year as a non-VC player. They're usually predictable events that you can prepare and profit from.

These event cards have a habit of depreciating other cards and at a rate faster than normal but it also adds some excitement to the mode. From a market perspective, I think they are healthy because they bring in a lot of moment packs which haven't been heavy favorites with all the best cards coming from theme packs.

Competitively, I don't mind seeing the same card on everyone's team as long as there are better more expensive options. These better cards don't have to be too much better and can be much more expensive. Because I don't think we need to keep a huge parity between have and have-nots in this game and skill will always be the determining factor in who wins.

Now just regarding Pierce, yeah they went crazy with this card. Most events aren't top cards immediately when they get released (except Magic sorta) but this card is just crazy. Definitely a cash grab because they could have made this card a little worse and everyone would still be pulling it. I don't really know why they keep the intangible manipulation on this card, most of the NBA2k population probably don't know about intangibles and only see the overall. Why go the extra step and make him a pink diamond statwise.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:46 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bi00
Personally, I like Holiday packs because they help me build MT throughout the year as a non-VC player. They're usually predictable events that you can prepare and profit from.

These event cards have a habit of depreciating other cards and at a rate faster than normal but it also adds some excitement to the mode. From a market perspective, I think they are healthy because they bring in a lot of moment packs which haven't been heavy favorites with all the best cards coming from theme packs.

Competitively, I don't mind seeing the same card on everyone's team as long as there are better more expensive options. These better cards don't have to be too much better and can be much more expensive. Because I don't think we need to keep a huge parity between have and have-nots in this game and skill will always be the determining factor in who wins.

Now just regarding Pierce, yeah they went crazy with this card. Most events aren't top cards immediately when they get released (except Magic sorta) but this card is just crazy. Definitely a cash grab because they could have made this card a little worse and everyone would still be pulling it. I don't really know why they keep the intangible manipulation on this card, most of the NBA2k population probably don't know about intangibles and only see the overall. Why go the extra step and make him a pink diamond statwise.
I understand your point, but I think this Pierce card is a bit much. Yao is one thing. He can be countered and exploited because he's so slow. This Pierce card is on par with the new Diamond Melo and Diamond Durant, and just a shade below Diamond McGrady because of McGrady's superior badging. He doesn't have an obvious weakness you can exploit. He's an elite shooter with elite defense, and an elite post game and strength at SF. He can speed boost with 89 ball control, and he has an Amethyst badge. If the card is going to essentially be a 98 ovr, it shouldn't be so plentiful you can get it for 60K when comparable players from the special sets are much more rare go for 6 or 7 times that much. 2K is devaluing its own sets! Nothing in this game over the last week makes any sense.

I refuse to get Yao, but I don't think I'll have a choice other than to get this Pierce card. He's too good and too cheap to not grab him just because I think 2K messed up.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:48 PM   #5
Pro

Bi00's Arena

I agree completely, they went crazy with this new card.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2017, 05:45 PM   #6
Pro

GrimaceZ7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by anditbeg1ns
That's why getting good at the game itself is the most important advantage you can have, 2k can't take that away from you.
That's what the Equalizer and rubberbanding are for.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:52 PM   #7
Pro

Bi00's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimaceZ7
That's what the Equalizer and rubberbanding are for.
There are no good and no bad players. We only boot up to let 2K decide who wins or loses. There is no agency.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:54 PM   #8
Pro

anditbeg1ns's Arena

Here we go again with the equalizer conspiracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »