Home

Proper Defensive Settings for NO THREES

This is a discussion on Proper Defensive Settings for NO THREES within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-10-2017, 06:58 PM   #1
Banned

jschmib's Arena

OVR: 0
Proper Defensive Settings for NO THREES

I just lost my chance to finally advance to the pink diamond league because of some cheeser with DI CJ McCollum spamming threes. I thought they were nerfed, but I either they've been un-nerfed or this guy was in a lower league. Anyway, my defense was all over the place, constantly out of place and generally just getting confused and leaving people wide open for no reason. I'm running a lineup (below) in which pretty much everyone has elite defensive ratings.

I set my off-ball pressure to Deny All, on-ball pressure to Tight (all), and I also turn my help rules to No Help (all). I even set screen help to No Help for any player that can shoot lights out. Yet STILL, my defensive AI is complete ****. And I'll be honest, I cannot on-ball defend cheesers running around the perimeter with fast players. I get beat 9/10 times, so I just let the CPU handle it.

I also have absolutely no idea how to defend 5-out pick & rolls at the top of the key. Most of the time the CPU can get around the screen, and I guard the roll from the screen setter. But I get 3-second violations all the time. If I quickly move out of the paint during the P&R to avoid getting the 3-sec call, the roll completely ****s me over. And nobody can come to help because of 5-out, it'd be an instant 3. I've tried Switch All, but it doesn't work half the time.

**** 5-out.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2017, 07:15 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Proper Defensive Settings for NO THREES

For what it's worth, for Switch All to work, one has to be very conscious and demonstrative in showing the CPU that you are participating in the Switch, if you're controlling one of the two defenders pulled into the P&R.

So if you control the screener's man, you need to show hard on the ballhandler. Basically a Hard Hedge. If you don't, then the CPU seems to think that you are not holding up your end of the switch and will have the ballhandler's man go around the screen to do what it thinks you're not doing (guarding the ballhandler).

And if you're controlling the ballhandler's man, then you need to not get around the screen, and drop down and get in between the screener and the basket.

But CPU will still end up doing stuff like not keeping the switch and, instead, switching back. So it's a dance you need to get a feel for. Also keep in mind that defenses screw up switches all the time, in real life, so a good amount of confusion should be replicated in the game. It definitely helps to have guys with high P&R Def IQ.

Presuming you're talking about high P&R, I don't see why you need to try to "catch" the screener so far back that you're in the paint. You should be able to defend him well, starting from above the free throw line, presuming the P&R takes place around the arc, and certainly above it.

You don't want to drop back down so far, anyway, if the screener can shoot, anyway. Otherwise you'll get burned by Pick & Pop.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:58 PM   #3
Banned

jschmib's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryl
For what it's worth, for Switch All to work, one has to be very conscious and demonstrative in showing the CPU that you are participating in the Switch, if you're controlling one of the two defenders pulled into the P&R.

So if you control the screener's man, you need to show hard on the ballhandler. Basically a Hard Hedge. If you don't, then the CPU seems to think that you are not holding up your end of the switch and will have the ballhandler's man go around the screen to do what it thinks you're not doing (guarding the ballhandler).

And if you're controlling the ballhandler's man, then you need to not get around the screen, and drop down and get in between the screener and the basket.

But CPU will still end up doing stuff like not keeping the switch and, instead, switching back. So it's a dance you need to get a feel for. Also keep in mind that defenses screw up switches all the time, in real life, so a good amount of confusion should be replicated in the game. It definitely helps to have guys with high P&R Def IQ.

Presuming you're talking about high P&R, I don't see why you need to try to "catch" the screener so far back that you're in the paint. You should be able to defend him well, starting from above the free throw line, presuming the P&R takes place around the arc, and certainly above it.

You don't want to drop back down so far, anyway, if the screener can shoot, anyway. Otherwise you'll get burned by Pick & Pop.
I'm always trying to catch the screener in the paint because if I guard him above the FT line, it's so easy for him to just run past me with his insanely fast center (Yao included, that glitchy tower can run the floor way too fast).

I'll try switch again with this advice in mind.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:31 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmib
I'm always trying to catch the screener in the paint because if I guard him above the FT line, it's so easy for him to just run past me with his insanely fast center (Yao included, that glitchy tower can run the floor way too fast).

I'll try switch again with this advice in mind.
Interesting. I don't feel like I've had that problem so much. If I'm using my big to catch his big, I don't feel like I have issue with that, regardless of opposing Center. For me, the problem is more about getting my guard around the screen to not give up ballhandler's drive to basket, or run to elbow for a shot.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:24 AM   #5
Pro

NoLeafClover's Arena

The problem is 2K give us absolutely zero documentation about what each of their defensive settings actually does.

We all just assume No Help means don't help off the player, but how do we know it doesn't mean don't help ON the player if his defender gets beat?

We don't, and it's all just guesswork which we shouldn't be stuck with.

They need to produce a master PDF manual outlining tendencies, defensive settings etc in detail, but they won't because there's no money in it.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2017, 07:54 AM   #6
Rookie

Ok your settings are wrong!you want help and anticipation. I'll give you my settings:

Onball Tight
Offball Deny
PNR/Center Go under catch hedge
Offball screens switch
Switch
Help and no rotation
Help

Best way to defend is onball, if he is zigzagging take a perimeter defender (not the corner guy and hel on the PNR) last option is a offball onball 2-3 zone if the guy can't pass you will lock him down

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 6P mit Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2017, 07:58 AM   #7
Rookie

Then he is PNR rolling first option should be to take the big and defend the paint( do the catch), if that doesn't work help with a perimeter guy. Another option is a switch all defense, if he's a cheeser most of the time he will be too stupid to abuse the mismatch in the paint. I would recommend to switch these styles during the game to get him out of his normal rhythm.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 6P mit Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2017, 05:42 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLeafClover
The problem is 2K give us absolutely zero documentation about what each of their defensive settings actually does.

We all just assume No Help means don't help off the player, but how do we know it doesn't mean don't help ON the player if his defender gets beat?

We don't, and it's all just guesswork which we shouldn't be stuck with.

They need to produce a master PDF manual outlining tendencies, defensive settings etc in detail, but they won't because there's no money in it.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Operation Sports mobile app
This is exactly the issue. 2k has to realize that with the popularity of there game they need to give tools to how there setting work.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »