Home

No more MTO?

This is a discussion on No more MTO? within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2017, 03:15 PM   #9
Rookie

Naboulet's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: No more MTO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlaze
Average players will applaud.
Maybe I'm an average player but I'm very happy about this. I loved the idea of MyTeam, the possibility to mix players of different eras and teams but I hated the result. It was just a run of 99 players cards and the games were uninteresting.

It wasn't even real basket-ball to me.

I'm looking forward to see what's gonna look like.

But I agree they should have left a MTO mode for people who want to play with their full team 99. Everyone needs his own trip.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:23 PM   #10
Rookie

I can't believe I pre-ordered this game. The entire point of MTO is to build a squad with no restrictions, or at least eventually rank up to a high enough level (or whatever) where there are no restrictions. This is awful. God damn it 2k.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:27 PM   #11
MVP

justlaze's Arena

No more MTO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naboulet
Maybe I'm an average player but I'm very happy about this. I loved the idea of MyTeam, the possibility to mix players of different eras and teams but I hated the result. It was just a run of 99 players cards and the games were uninteresting.

It wasn't even real basket-ball to me.

I'm looking forward to see what's gonna look like.

But I agree they should have left a MTO mode for people who want to play with their full team 99. Everyone needs his own trip.

I'm not even saying the mode itself is a bad idea, it gives new dynamics to strategies (probably it will feel more like PNO), but canceling MTO/RTTP kills the heart of this mode: collecting cards.

2K talks of new modes and additions but I only see substitutes.

If I'm a collector and I strive to gather the best cards, but I can not use them together there is no point of grinding. And if there is no point of grinding, I don't know what this mode is about.

Last edited by justlaze; 08-18-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2017, 04:01 PM   #12
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle Westbrook
I hope there's a mode where you can just straight up play online against other players with no restrictions.
Play With Friends, but maybe not pre-arranged, with strangers.

On console platforms, it seems to me that there should be high enough population to create competitive parity through matchmaking. It would take a longer wait for players, and maybe 2K thinks that console players aren't willing to wait, say, a few minutes to match with an opponent who has a team that is truly comparable.

But I have a hard time believing 2K would eliminate a mode in which people are incentivized to play their best possible cards. That is the basis for their MyTeam microtransaction revenue. I can't imagine why they would eliminate the incentive to have more than one superstar on one's team.

Then again, maybe the SuperMax salary cap structure actually incentivizes people even more to have as many high-end cards as possible? Because if one has the greatest amount of options, then one has more chance of being able to use an elite card without it costing them SuperMax salary?

I think we have to reserve judgment. If we go by what has been revealed and assume that anything not mentioned will not be in the game, then it appears they've also eliminated Blacktop/Gauntlet 3-v-3 playground competition.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:09 PM   #13
Pro

There's some positives to it, making you be more aware of strategically making a team based on the coach you select also to play a certain style.

Hopefully with this cap restriction and style of play will be a factor in ratings, so we won't get historic players with a 3pt shot. Also these supermax will probably have a impact on the auction house with supermax guys selling for cheaper, since now you can't put all the best guys in the same lineup.

Sucks no MTO, but it will be interesting to change up the game this year. One thing I'm glad is gone is the blacktop mode.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:27 PM   #14
Pro

pro_cow_tipper's Arena

This mode would be great if they would have kept MTO or something similar to that. I can't believe they would make a game mode dedicated to building fantasy squads and not have an unrestricted mode. It can't be that difficult to add the play now online leaderboard into MyTeam and make it unrestricted.

I see the appeal of playing supermax, but you still need an unrestricted mode. I could never use my best team in 2k15 because the servers were horrible and I always had to run teams with three golds.

There is absolutely zero point to build teams and collect cards if I can't play with them the way I want to.
Pettit / McGinnis
Porzingod / Cousins
YouTube 🙂
Old 08-18-2017, 04:43 PM   #15
Pro

Bi00's Arena

I think 2K revealed just enough to get me back into MT. I'm looking for a more casual experience next year with more offline content.

But I've got a bad feeling that the new draft mode won't have the depth to keep it interesting. The game mode only features 5 on 5 with no bench and there is a pay-to-win mechanic with keeping players with VC. This could be the next pointless Blacktop equivalent especially since they are keeping same reward draft board.

The Supermax mode seems kinda interesting. I think most people who played a lot of 2K17 MTO wanted a reason to keep playing throughout the year. Multiple resetting seasons throughout the year would be a nice change and give people a reason to keep playing.

Also, I'm optimistic about the new offline content and I love the change to the AH. The override-able badges are a nice bonus as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2017, 05:38 PM   #16
Rookie

Matt_1979's Arena

In theory I like the Supermax mode.... should make people be more strategic and not just load their team with the best players....

HOWEVER....I don't like the time restrictions on the 'rounds'. I don't get to play often due to family and kids so does this mean I'll never get enough games in to progress in the time frames they give??

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »