Home

Jason Maxiell?!?!!? 85 OVR?!?!? Has MyTeam jumped the shark already?

This is a discussion on Jason Maxiell?!?!!? 85 OVR?!?!? Has MyTeam jumped the shark already? within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-10-2018, 01:51 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Jason Maxiell?!?!!? 85 OVR?!?!? Has MyTeam jumped the shark already?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryl
MyTeam makes them money insofar as people are playing a mode of MyTeam that pushes them to buy VC/packs.

If there were multiple online modes and the most popular one was a mode in which there is strict matchmaking, for example, and one could win ultimate rewards for that mode by fielding a 3 Gold team and being amongst the best at playing a 3 Gold team, then you don't have incentive to buy packs.

Players buy packs to gain an advantage over other players. And players buy more packs when they might pull a card that is super-juiced for that stage in the game.

Look, in the end, I'm not arguing with you. You're preaching to the choir. I essentially agree with you. I'd love to see MyTeam develop into a more nuanced and more sim-mentality mode.

I just don't expect it to happen within the foreseeable future. I'll probably play out this cycle on MyTeam. But maybe not. Might start playing another mode before cycle is over. And while I probably will buy 2K19, I will not play MyTeam at all, unless people are saying that game dynamics are drastically improved.
First off, I don't think a strict salary cap mode would be the most popular.

Second thing...I didn't say anything about a 3 Gold limit.

I don't think that's a good idea.

I'd prefer to see something that gives players more freedom and thus creates more strategy. Some type of salary cap, however one that is a little better than the one currently used.

Part of the strategy involved should be how to build your roster.

Do you go with a "Batman and Robin" combo with one super-duper-star and another solid #2 option and fill in with role players...?

An All-Star caliber player with a two solid stars alongside him?

A balanced starting squad with role players? Like the 03-04 Pistons, for example...

A defensive-focused squad with a Lou Williams type scorer off the bench?

How good are your role players? Is it worth it to pay more for a Steve Novak...or can you get the same production from a Bronze like Mirza Teletovic?

This is part of the strategy a mode like this would allow for.

2K needs to re-think how they make money from the mode. It can't just be about selling packs.

Especially with the way they make you buy VC and then have to buy packs in order to convert it to MT. Sorry...that's an obvious bilking of customers...and has run it's course. Most gamers see it for what it is - a ripoff.

I still think SIM players will spend money in MyTeam, even if they aren't chasing the newest "bright shiny" overpowered card.

In the long run, it will also help the marketplace and the long-term value of cards. Unlike the current version where very good cards are already available in the AH for pennies on the dollar.

Cards also need to be historical. Quit juicing cards with inflated ratings. Players can already add Badges...and add ratings points with Shoes...and get a boot with their coach and System Proficiency. So...why do they also need inflated ratings???
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2018, 02:55 PM   #26
Rookie

XxCavaliers360's Arena

OVR: 1

I'm assuming you didn't enjoy the 93 ovr Michael Beasley that played in 20 games for the Rockets and averaged 12.8 PPG?
Old 02-10-2018, 03:53 PM   #27
Rookie

So...with some help from a guy over on the 2KMTCentral forums...I have sorta found a quick fix.

I'm jumping into this Moments Challenge and playing that instead of SuperMax.

It's like I'm playing a different game....seriously.

This is what I'm saying...this is all SIM players like myself need. Something like this...maybe a little deeper eventually...or with a salary cap.

2K is able to add something like this easily to MyTeam...why not make it permanent? Or add a lower, more restrictive cap to it?

The settings feel completely different and the games actually play like BASKETBALL....(gasp!).
Old 02-10-2018, 11:43 PM   #28
MVP

I mentioned 3 Gold as an example, not my proposal for the ideal. I also didn't say that a sin online mode to MT would be most popular. It doesn't need to be more popular to pull players from the Pay For Advantage mode.

And, frankly, I don't know why you think you are in a position to know what makes more money for 2K given that you have no access to the revenue figures they have. They have data to show what grosses and what doesn't.

You may think a sim mode to MT would make them more money but you don't know. But it doesn't really matter. They'll only respond to what the market shows them. So quit MT while it's this way and encourage others to do the same.

But probably better to voice your opinion on the main OS 2K board, or Reddit, or even 2KMTC. Nobody from 2K seems to pay any attention to this sub board.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:51 AM   #29
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryl
I mentioned 3 Gold as an example, not my proposal for the ideal. I also didn't say that a sin online mode to MT would be most popular. It doesn't need to be more popular to pull players from the Pay For Advantage mode.

And, frankly, I don't know why you think you are in a position to know what makes more money for 2K given that you have no access to the revenue figures they have. They have data to show what grosses and what doesn't.

You may think a sim mode to MT would make them more money but you don't know. But it doesn't really matter. They'll only respond to what the market shows them. So quit MT while it's this way and encourage others to do the same.

But probably better to voice your opinion on the main OS 2K board, or Reddit, or even 2KMTC. Nobody from 2K seems to pay any attention to this sub board.
You're right...I don't know for certain. However, judging from posts around the internet from various different places...people are leaving MyTeam.

It's not even the All Star break...and 2K gamers are worn out and frustrated with this mode. And who can blame them?

They've turned MyTeam into 5-on-5 NBA Jam.

This path and model will not last...especially taken to the extremes as they have this year.

Pay-to-win...or Pay For Advantage won't last if the actual PLAYING of the games is NOT enjoyable.

I get it. MyTeam is a fantasy mode...that doesn't mean it has to play like NBA Jam. This game built it's customer base and moved past NBA Live in the marketplace because it was the most realistic and SIM sports video game on the market.

They've ignored that in their MyTeam moneygrab.

And, ya know...it worked for a year (2K17) and maybe for half a season in 2K18. But there's no depth...so a % of gamers are getting BORED.

Especially those spending hundreds or thousands in the game mode. They've been abused and taken advantage of...as 2K releases more and more overpowered cards...and treats their BEST customers like crackheads and meth addicts.

In a Pay-to-Win mode, customers aren't going to keep paying if every week or so the card/player they just forked over their hard-earned money for is no longer worth what they paid for it.

And they aren't going to keep paying and/or playing if the gameplay is AWFUL...which is how SuperMax plays.

Just hop into that Moments Challenge at All Star difficulty...and you'll really realize just how awful SuperMax gameplay is.

Bottom line, it's about money. I understand that. Problem is, the path they've taken the mode down is deceptive, shady, and more than anything EMPTY.

The sole focus is to Pay-to-Win...for what? In order to "win" more cards that help you win even more? Except they really don't...because just about anyone else can fork over some money...open packs and get a card that's even more effective and cheesy...or save up and buy one in the AH?

What's the point?!?!

Especially if the games themselves aren't FUN...

It's a video game...the point of playing is FUN....entertainment. Yet we hear 2K gamers talk about "grinding" and complain regularly that they DISLIKE the actual gameplay of the Multiplayer mode.

Where is the fun for players?

Grinding for points and /or goals in boring, repetitive games against the CPU...and playing games they despise against other players. It's no wonder you see posts around the internet about 2K players burning out from playing this game.

And if they keep taking this mode in that direction...eventually it will bite them in the butt.

Of course, that's just one dude's humble opinion....perhaps I'm wrong.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »