Home

MyTeam Newbie - need some starting tips

This is a discussion on MyTeam Newbie - need some starting tips within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-14-2018, 08:09 AM   #1
Rookie

Bankside's Arena

OVR: 0
MyTeam Newbie - need some starting tips

Hi guys,

i never played myteam in the last 2k editions, i always played mycareer/park/proam.

now i started myteam and wow...i'm a little bit overwhelmed

can you give me some tips to start the whole thing off? (or recommend me any usefull site or guides)

the biggest problem for me so far is the fact, that i'm used to controll only 1 player and not the whole team.

i started to play the warmup challenges first.

is there anything i should focus on? should i grab any special coaching style? which cards should i save up and for what? ...so much questions

i would be very thankfull for any usefull tips

Last edited by Bankside; 02-14-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2018, 09:03 PM   #2
MVP

Re: MyTeam Newbie - need some starting tips

Frankly, there's a mountain of stuff that could be written. I don't know, personally, of a great beginner's guide, but there are a lot out there. Just search for "nba 2k18 myteam beginners" and you'll find plenty of stuff to help get you acquainted.

Generally, speaking, like you said, you need to get used to playing 5-on-5. You also need to grind MT so you can afford to buy better cards on the auction house. Play through the Dominations. They're a long grind, but they're the heart of the offline gameplay and you're probably not ready to play online until you develop basic competency offline.

One big tip: don't buy/use Contract Cards on low level players. Don't use them on anything lower than an Amethyst card. It's cheaper to buy the contracts directly through game menus. When you start a game and have players on your roster without contracts, the game will prompt you to buy 1 or 5 Contracts for all the players who have 0. Buy 5 for everyone. As an example: contracts for Silver players only cost 80 MT for a 5-pack. In contrast, on the auction house, Bronze 3-pack Contracts cost 250 MT minimum.

Except for times when pack buying activity is high, you can generally sell your Contracts on the AH. Or you can save them for when you have Amethysts and Diamonds.

Sports Gamers Online on YouTube probably has the best beginner-level sort of tutorials. Sam Pham is well known for his tutorials, but they're higher level. Spaceward Bird has a ton of stuff on Auction House sniping and budget cards to target if you need to be economical.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:51 AM   #3
Rookie

Bankside's Arena

thanks so far.

which camera mode do you use?
Old 02-16-2018, 03:51 PM   #4
MVP

2K. Most everyone does.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:18 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

Hey OP,

It may take some getting used to controlling the whole team, but once you do, myteam is pretty fun. If you don’t want to burn contracts while you learn, you can always play MyGM. You earn VC and get practice controlling the full team.

Offensively, if you learn pick and roll/pick and pop (with all players, not just the bigs), you’ll be fine in the beginning. Defense may be a bit challenging at first; I play off ball with the player guarding the other team’s worst shooter, but since you’ve always played mycareer, you might like to play on ball.

As for the coach, Idk how important it is, but I personally didn’t like the offensive system you start with, so I bought Steve Kerr pretty early on. Coaches are pretty cheap so just pick the style you want to play and go get the matching coach.

What you should focus on depends on what you want out of myteam, I guess. If you want to eventually play online against other players, I’d focus on playing the offline modes first so you can collect some players, build up some myteam currency, and buy the players you want. Each team you beat in domination, for example, earns you myteam currency and gets you a player to add to your collection. I believe there are 63 domination reward players if you play through all 3 levels (including 3 amethyst players).

If you’re more about completing all the challenges, unlocking rewards, and then moving on, you don’t need to worry about having as good a team as if you’re playing online. I’m currently through 2 of the 3 domination modes using mostly ruby, sapphire, and emerald players. I’ve never needed to buy an amethyst player, though I have used ones that I’ve unlocked through the challenges.

Either way, I’d stay away from buying boxes/packs and focus on spending your myteam currency on the players you actually want. i.e. if you want an amethyst DeMarcus Cousins, just save up to buy him rather than hoping you pull him in a box/pack. But, if you don’t mind spending money, then you could just buy a bunch of VC and go nuts I suppose.

My favorite mode in myteam is actually Pack and Playoffs. It’s FREE (it doesn’t cost any contracts) and you earn rewards like myteam currency, contracts, shoes, injury cards, and occasionally a player card. Some people aren’t into it, but I’ve never had to buy contracts because you unlock so many this mode.

In PnP, you randomly draft a team each round (Round 1, Conference Semis, Conference Finals, and Finals). You can build your team however you want-- I’ve seen people with all guards for example, but the most effective lineup for me has been 4 shooters and a defensive/rebounding big (Gobert/Whiteside for example). If you can pull a 5 shooter lineup with someone like Boogie or Anthony Davis, you should breeze through the round. Each round you advance, you earn rewards and once you beat the finals you get a reward box with 5 (gold) players, a few contracts/injury cards/strategy cards. Once you pass board 1, you unlock board 2-- all the way up to board 10.

You’ll be playing against other people online, but most of the time they’ll have no significant advantage over you because they pick from a similar pool of players. Most of the time you’ll get matched with someone your level or slightly worse so you’re able to advance (though once in a while you'll get blown out). And if you do ever get eliminated from a round, you tend to get a better team when you redraft and start over. Give it a try and see if you like it.

I know that’s a lot of info, and there’s still a bunch more. Hope you enjoy myteam, it’s pretty fun once you get into it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2018, 04:12 PM   #6
Rookie

Bankside's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryl
2K. Most everyone does.
i struggle with the camera change after each possesion

when my team gets the rebound i try to run to the opposite basket, then the camera switches and my guy is running in the wrong direction or stops due the change of view

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »