Home

Anyone interested in a playbook thread?

This is a discussion on Anyone interested in a playbook thread? within the NBA 2K Basketball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #9
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Anyone interested in a playbook thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikwelity
I will get the playbook for every team, their top sets and most frequent sets. Then it's just a matter of finding plays in the game that match those sets or are close to those sets.

The tendencies I don't tend to worry about too much, as those tend to be more of a player ratings issue and not a playbook issue. If you have them running the same most frequent sets that they run in real life, their tendencies are going to be pretty accurate. The player tendencies, in my opinion, are more applicable to unscripted, play the game type actions.
Cool! I'd love to see those privately when you get them if that's cool. I'm a basketball coach for a living (been coaching for 16 years). I have huge library of hundreds of coaching DVDs and 100's of old games. I also have huge library of plays on quick draw and in my own personal play books I've put together over the years. I'd say I got thousands and thousands of quick hitters, stuff I've translated over from game film onto software program.

Anyways, I'm always looking for new stuff. I usually watch synergy games and take plays from there. All that being said like I said da czar scouted and did what your talking about this year. There might not be a need this year to even do what you are talking about or what we have done in the past.

The biggest thing I'd like to see added is game planning type of feature like madden kinda with a star rating to get CPU ai to call certain plays more often than others. I'd also like to see us have ability to call a play coming out of a timeout where players automatically get set up in what play I want to run. Lastly have ability to set CPU ai plays in last 2 minutes of game rather ten have it be hard coded into the game. 1 can hope and wish! Lol

Lmk when you get play books I'd love to take a look at them. I can send you email via pm...
Old 10-05-2014, 02:11 AM   #10
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

Quote:
The tendencies I don't tend to worry about too much, as those tend to be more of a player ratings issue and not a playbook issue. If you have them running the same most frequent sets that they run in real life, their tendencies are going to be pretty accurate. The player tendencies, in my opinion, are more applicable to unscripted, play the game type actions.
I think you misunderstood me here. I wasn't talking about tendencies as those are for freestyle.

What I was referring to was will the scouts you get your info from give you info on Denver and the PNR as an example. Question is does Denver run PNR from the side, wing, top key, do they attack those picks going towards baseline or the middle of the floor. Those were where my example of where the % numbers came from. I meant % of each play used from a certain area on the floor as well as which direction does the team like to attack from. In addition, do they like to use screen the screener action before PNR more often, or do they send the picker off the run, or is the picker just set and stationary and let's ball handler set it up? Which shooters do they place in corners in certain play sets, etc. if your info is this detailed with certain guys in certain spots and we see teams like Denver running side pnr and eliminate most there top key pnr for realism I like it and will have to see at least 1 of these scouting reports. Synergy lists % of play types called per team but not the above. I had to watch a few hundred pnr's to see and gather own stats in the areas above. I wish synergy would break it down a little more specifically.

Anyways, I find watching all these especially seeing where the 2/3/and 4 are while 1 & 5 run pnr action the most valuable and best method. You got to see it in action then see it over and over again. I'm just OCD like that with realism and authenticity.

I can't wait to see czars work as he has stated he took the exact same approach!

Last edited by vannwolfhawk; 10-05-2014 at 02:25 AM.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:27 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
What I was referring to was will the scouts you get your info from give you info on Denver and the PNR as an example. Question is does Denver run PNR from the side, wing, top key, do they attack those picks going towards baseline or the middle of the floor. Those were where my example of where the % numbers came from. I meant % of each play used from a certain area on the floor as well as which direction does the team like to attack from. In addition, do they like to use screen the screener action before PNR more often, or do they send the picker off the run, or is the picker just set and stationary and let's ball handler set it up? Which shooters do they place in corners in certain play sets, etc. if your info is this detailed with certain guys in certain spots and we see teams like Denver running side pnr and eliminate most there top key pnr for realism I like it and will have to see at least 1 of these scouting reports. Synergy lists % of play types called per team but not the above. I had to watch a few hundred pnr's to see and gather own stats in the areas above. I wish synergy would break it down a little more specifically.
To be honest with you, I've never been with a winning team or been to the playoffs, so I don't know how they do it, but these types of team tendencies that you see on Synergy aren't a part of any NBA scouting report I've ever seen. Player tendencies will be a part of the personnel report, but even then, it's not detailed to the percentage. It's more like "hard right-hand driver to the basket, will pull up for jumper if driving left".

There's just not enough time between games to be scouting tendencies for areas of the floor. You basically cover their top P/R plays and how you want to defend them. Then you cover a few of their other top sets, like UCLA or Hawk plays, maybe some Elbow or Corner sets, maybe Floppy if it's a great shooting team, and that's it. The coaching game plan will be a little more in depth, but again, the biggest thing is always the defensive game plan for defending P/Rs.

Again, I imagine things get much more in-depth when you are scouting a playoff opponent. Otherwise, these NBA guys only can and are only willing to soak up so much information per game. If it's a back-to-back.... forget about it!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2014, 09:34 AM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Anyways, I'm always looking for new stuff. I usually watch synergy games and take plays from there. All that being said like I said da czar scouted and did what your talking about this year. There might not be a need this year to even do what you are talking about or what we have done in the past.
Even with this being said, I still think it's very necessary for two reasons. One is that there are plenty of new coaches and second-year coaches in the league. You can only make guesses at what the new coaches are going to run based on the coaches they have worked for in the past, but every coach is different and you never know for sure what they are going to run. Even then, playbooks always evolve during the season.

Second, and I don't mean to disparage anyone, but as much basketball as anyone watches, there is no replacement for actual scouting, as in diagramming, getting play calls, putting together scouting reports, etc. I've logged thousands of games in the past 5 years, and I can easily say that when I watch a game just to watch it, I have nowhere near the attention to detail as when I am logging and scouting a game.

If nothing else, it should be a lot easier to take good playbooks and make them great, as opposed to trying to take bad playbooks and make them great!
Old 10-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #13
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

Quote:
Even with this being said, I still think it's very necessary for two reasons. One is that there are plenty of new coaches and second-year coaches in the league. You can only make guesses at what the new coaches are going to run based on the coaches they have worked for in the past, but every coach is different and you never know for sure what they are going to run. Even then, playbooks always evolve during the season.

Second, and I don't mean to disparage anyone, but as much basketball as anyone watches, there is no replacement for actual scouting, as in diagramming, getting play calls, putting together scouting reports, etc. I've logged thousands of games in the past 5 years, and I can easily say that when I watch a game just to watch it, I have nowhere near the attention to detail as when I am logging and scouting a game.

If nothing else, it should be a lot easier to take good playbooks and make them great, as opposed to trying to take bad playbooks and make them great!
Lol! Ya, I meant in watching the videos watching them to scout and take notes. Definitely a big difference just watching games and plays and watching to scout what team does and their tendencies. I guess what I was saying is I'm sure czar was fully scouting himself when watching the game film. When I did the playbooks a few years ago I was scouting and watching and keeping track of each play and where they were run on floor, etc and keeping a tally.

I thought with your original post you were going to be doing something like this. I guess the way you said it I thought you might have access to some detailed info like that. I'm not sure if their is a site that breaks down in percentages plays ran on floor etc? It would be awesome though! Synergy is awesome but doesn't have that depth yet.I get how scouts scout though as I used to do it myself for a few years (high school and small college) but I was hoping you could or would get some more in depth stuff like that just for the fact that's the most efficient way to really get accurate playbooks IMO. I'm just OCD like that! I want to see teams run plays from where they do irl.

I totally agree as far as new coaches go. Also we all know coaches steal and add things all year long so as the season go's on they might run this or that that wasn't in at the beginning of season or I the game. I guessing just optimistic czar nailed it and got rid of broken plays and he got authentic enough for me?! Lol! I wish and hope 2k will add or make changes as the year go's on but highly doubt it and I'm not going to hold my breath. :-)

I think if you are to do this project properly 1st we test plays (if need be as far as broken or not) you still need to test all the plays though to see what plays you have in the game. 2- this is what I do at least is seperate all plays into categories of success rate, length of play, broken or not, side of floor it's on, and then break it down into different areas like dbl staggered screens, floppy's, zipper action etc... 3- Then scout each team and see what plays they run, and keep track of PNR plays and where on the floor they take place. 4- find the plays that are most similar and add them to each team. 5- narrow each teams list down to 50.

Well if your down I'm down. Depends on a few things and we will all see where were at on Tuesday but even if I don't go all in I will definitely help you out in this thread or with your project. I have a feeling I will be testing all plays again to see what we got anyways. I'm just not sure I want to take crazy notes and categorize everything bcus that's the major time consuming piece that's annoying! Ugh! Just thinking about it makes me cringe! Lol! So time consuming! I just want to play and enjoy the game! Let me know your plans...
Old 10-07-2014, 02:01 PM   #14
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

Well scratch my whole idea that play books wouldn't need as much work! As great as the freelance offense is and I absolutely love the freelance plays and transition offense the play books and play types are jacked up! Way to much clutter and unnecessary plays. Why have 5-6 iso's per team and have 2 that are basically identical. And then ucla and horn sets are very few and far between in this game. I need to dig deeper but not seeing any flex either.

Very disappointed in plays. And some still take to long to get in spots and get set up. Some plays are just useless and even horrible in execution.

On a side note I absolutely hate the dpad for calling plays and think not separating the plays into play types to give 2 pages of plays in a play type was horrible decision. No need for 7 pages of plays! Way to much clutter. Now if I want to run a 3 point play I have to go to page 7 for everyone.

These need to be completely redone! Ugh!
Old 10-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

vtcrb's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Well scratch my whole idea that play books wouldn't need as much work! As great as the freelance offense is and I absolutely love the freelance plays and transition offense the play books and play types are jacked up! Way to much clutter and unnecessary plays. Why have 5-6 iso's per team and have 2 that are basically identical. And then ucla and horn sets are very few and far between in this game. I need to dig deeper but not seeing any flex either.

Very disappointed in plays. And some still take to long to get in spots and get set up. Some plays are just useless and even horrible in execution.

On a side note I absolutely hate the dpad for calling plays and think not separating the plays into play types to give 2 pages of plays in a play type was horrible decision. No need for 7 pages of plays! Way to much clutter. Now if I want to run a 3 point play I have to go to page 7 for everyone.

These need to be completely redone! Ugh!
I was able to get XboxOne and now looks like this will be another thing to Edit. Dang it.

This was Supposed to be Addressed, I thought. Glad a thread like this is being worked on.

Twitter: @VTCRBTEC

Youtube Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKL...1uva35l4zFEofg

Roster Editing for Over a Decade
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2014, 05:56 PM   #16
Rookie

Re: The Playbook Thread

Am I correct in thinking that the only way to edit playbooks is in game? I didn't see the option anywhere in the menus. Also, is there any easy way to practice plays anywhere, or are we again stuck with just practicing in game? It seems like some of the play animations only show the final action, so I can't even go off of those.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters »