Home

Player Progression/Regression in NBA2k15(XboxOne/PS4)

This is a discussion on Player Progression/Regression in NBA2k15(XboxOne/PS4) within the NBA 2K Basketball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-19-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

vtcrb's Arena

OVR: 40
Player Progression/Regression in NBA2k15(XboxOne/PS4)

As everyone is setting up their Rosters, Associations and Draft Classes, i figured a Discussion about Player Progression/Regression would be good. Interested to hear any interesting Progression/Regression stories of Rookies or Veterans.

Where the Issue i think will come up is WHAT is the Magic Number to make Players STAY at their current level. Meaning if a Player is at is PEAK, do we leave him at his Current Rating OR do we need to stay above that Rating by say 2-3 Points in Potential to Prevent Regression? So far with minimal testing it seems guys DONT stay very long in Prime. Any and all feedback and suggestions is welcomed.

I mean we can EACH test for weeks/months to get answers OR we can come together and Figure this out.

Twitter: @VTCRBTEC

Youtube Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKL...1uva35l4zFEofg

Roster Editing for Over a Decade
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2014, 12:41 PM   #2
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Player Progression/Regression in NBA2k15(XboxOne/PS4)

I actually posted about this very thing about a week ago. I'll just copy and paste it:

I have my draft class quality slider set to 0. I still see a few players in the 77-80 range. I wasn't expecting players that high with it set at 0. The rest of the class looks good though ratings wise. I was just wondering what value others were using and how are they rating wise? Piggybacking off that a bit to progression. I'm controlling the Bucks. Jabari Parker jumped up to an 85 in one year. That's cool and all because I know he's considered a stud. But the rating is a little inflated to me considering he averaged 17, 6 and 2 while shooting 42% from the field. I was expecting a less modest jump. Something in the 2 or 3 point range considering his production. I may have to change that slider, too. Anyway, I was just wondering what other MyLeague players were seeing, and have these values set to.

I currently have the progression slider set to default.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:07 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

vtcrb's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
I actually posted about this very thing about a week ago. I'll just copy and paste it:

I have my draft class quality slider set to 0. I still see a few players in the 77-80 range. I wasn't expecting players that high with it set at 0. The rest of the class looks good though ratings wise. I was just wondering what value others were using and how are they rating wise? Piggybacking off that a bit to progression. I'm controlling the Bucks. Jabari Parker jumped up to an 85 in one year. That's cool and all because I know he's considered a stud. But the rating is a little inflated to me considering he averaged 17, 6 and 2 while shooting 42% from the field. I was expecting a less modest jump. Something in the 2 or 3 point range considering his production. I may have to change that slider, too. Anyway, I was just wondering what other MyLeague players were seeing, and have these values set to.

I currently have the progression slider set to default.
Do you remember What Jabari's Rating was in 1st season and What his Potential was set at? That is a HUGE jump, just wanted to see exactly how much. I Only have my Roster Saved, so I can look back at what 2k Default had him as.

You were Using the 2k Generated Classes I am guessing.

Thanks for weighing in. Hopefully we can figure things out.

Old 10-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 2

I've been wanting to make a separate thread on this in the main 2k forum for a little while now, but they need to tweak potential and progression. My idea is that they have two different potential ratings. One based on a players absolute minimum, where no matter what, the player's highest rating will be that number. Then another number, where it's the absolute max that player can reach.

The way I figure it let's take Jabari Parker for example. Let's just say, his absolute minimum is a Jeff Green type player. So let's say Jeff Green's rating is a 78. Then Jabari's minimum potential will be a 78. His maximum, or ceiling is let's say Carmelo, who's rating out the box is a 89 I believe. So his max potential would be an 89. The way min and max potential would work would be totally dependent on a player's stats.

So many times in past 2ks we would see Anthony Randolph, for example, jump from a low 70 to high 80s in a couple of seasons. While his potential was always high, his stats never showed he could reach it, so in no way should he be that high rated potential. Just my thoughts.

Last edited by SuperNova854; 10-19-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:48 PM   #5
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

No problem. Yeah, I was using the default 2K rosters where Jabari's rated a 77 out of the gate. That's an 8 point swing! I didn't do in inseason development, either. I didn't check his potential beforehand. I also used a randomly generated draft class. It's good overall, I just thought that setting the value at zero would lead to fewer or zero "elite" prospects. There were only 3 total though so it may not be too big a problem. Everyone else was high 60s to mid 50's.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2014, 03:25 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

vtcrb's Arena

Thanks for all the info and feedback guys. I have heard feedback on another Forum that Potential Rating can Actually Change. Has anyone seen this happen? If this is True Potential MAY have to be adjusted EACH season to keep certain Players from progressing too fast or declining too fast. This will be a PAIN, but for guys like myself who HAVE to have proper Progression/Regression it may be necessary. It looks like the Rookies will have to be the Most Closely watched, then the Veterans to make sure they dont decline too Rapidly.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:26 PM   #7
Pro

jpshua15's Arena

I set the player progression to about 44, in-season training to like 42, draft class difficulty to 25 and I must say I've gotten some pretty good results. Ex: After 3 years, Anthony Davis was like a 93, John Wall and Brad Beal were both like 87 a piece, Wiggins was like 87, and my number 1 player in my draft class went from an 80 to an 85 after 1 offseason(which is about what I wanted). Tony Parker regressed to a 77 (good), Deron Williams was like 74 just to name a few.

The only problem I've had is that James Harden actually regressed to an 85 despite being one of the young stars in today's game (not even a Harden fan) ... I think it's because he doesnt have a work ethic badge.

Fictional Draft Classes
PSN: shuab15
2015/#1: Fictional DC 1 (2015)
2016/#2:
2017/#3:
2018/#4:
2019/#5:

Official FDC Website: http://nba2k15fdc.wix.com/nba2k15fdc
Old 10-19-2014, 05:27 PM   #8
Rookie

I also feel like the draft class quality doesn't do much and it's making me quite worried.
Many times, classes at default are just too good, with 1-2 guys on the 80s...
I mean, come on, 2K. What was the last time we had rookies like that in the curent ratings system?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters »