Home

Who wants to discuss 2K15 tendencies/playbooks/coach sliders and how they work?

This is a discussion on Who wants to discuss 2K15 tendencies/playbooks/coach sliders and how they work? within the NBA 2K Basketball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-06-2014, 10:58 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Who wants to discuss 2K15 tendencies/playbooks/coach sliders and how they work?

I'm editing Dallas right now, and it's more frustrating than I think it should be. Dallas, I thought, would be an extremely easy team to work on-- they run pick-and-roll like nobody's business to maximize Dirk's effectiveness, since you can't help off him. Other than that, they'll occasionally post Dirk up or run him off a mid-range down screen.

So, logically, what do you do? Make sure the two guards (Nelson, Ellis) have high touches and only "P&R Ballhandler" as their play types. Give the big men (Chandler, Nowitzki) "P&R Ballhandler" as their first play types, and give Dirk "Mid Range" or possibly "High Post" as his second play type. Dirk also gets a lot of his points from just spotting up, so his Touches can be deflated a little bit.

Chandler Parsons also doesn't do much but run the occasional pick-and-roll, so give him a moderately high Touches tendency and only the "P&R Ballhandler" play type.

Here's the end result (all starters with Touches tendency):

Jameer Nelson: 80
Monta Ellis: 90 (just for the sake of experimentation-- I don't really think his Touches should be that high. He's not that ball-dominant)
Chandler Parsons: 65
Dirk Nowitzki: 60
Tyson Chandler: 50

With the Mavericks "Run Plays" slider at 90 and their Offensive Focus set to "Pick and Roll Offense."

So, looking at this logically, they should pretty much be running screen-roll at least 8 out of every 10 plays, and as soon as the ballhandler crosses the time line, Chandler/Nowitzki should be there, setting a pick.

But why isn't this happening? Am I missing something? All they do is pass the ball around with what seems like complete aimlessness, or run P&R for Dirk less than half the time. They also keep running this SAME mid-range play for Dirk that's honestly starting to irk me, since not only is it the same exact play, but Dirk has the second-lowest Touches in the starting lineup.
Why wouldn't Nelson/Ellis be using a bunch of pick-and-rolls? And why isn't Chandler setting ANY picks?

I've thought about just starting over, setting everything back to default (sliders are already at default for the record), and just being more careful, I guess.

If I do that, I can post some footage of what the CPU is doing so that maybe you guys could be have an easier time helping me out (if anyone is willing).

I also wouldn't mind discussing this with anyone in one-on-one conversations-- PMs, AOL instant messenger, Yahoo IM... hell, you can hit me up on Facebook if you want. lol.

Here's hoping I can get a helping hand. Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2014, 12:46 AM   #2
PDX

RipCity71252's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Who wants to discuss 2K15 tendencies/playbooks/coach sliders and how they work?

Teams seem be defaulting to their freelance offense even when run plays are set to 100.

For example, I gave the Kings one play (a simple 1-5 pnr) set run plays to 100 while having collison's touches tendency set at 100 (gay and cousins at 0) and points of PoE sent to pnr offense.

They didnt run it once for six minutes.

If they could get tendencies to work as intended and the CPU utilizing playbooks fully according to those tendencies...man, sim heads would be in heaven. But this has been an issue since I can remember and I'm not sure 2k will ever be able to find a solution.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:48 AM   #3
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Who wants to discuss 2K15 tendencies/playbooks/coach sliders and how they work?

Good thread topic.

Vannwolfhawk noticed this aswell. There is a play calling engine that Im not sure we have any control over, and we sure dont know how it works.

Each team has 50 plays in their book, but as we know teams wont use that many in a game and will use a few multiple times. This ability to preference plays doesnt seem to be used by the CPU.

As you observed, the Mavs run P and R a lot. On some plays, they will run 5-6. Wright and Chandler's role on offense is to run around setting picks then diving to the rim. They have heaps of complexity in the PNR plays. Other than that, they will run downscreens for Dirk, an occasional post up for Dirk, occasional iso for Monta and not much else.

So yeah dude, I say dont overthink it. The game engine has not been developed enough.

What hurts the Mavs is that teams in the game dont use the PNR as aggressively as they do in real life.

I tweeted Czar about this and he said "Still lots of variables and logic to add, will be something we continually improve on year to year".

Ive seen lots of improvement in the player logic this year and the sim dudes will make it even better.

As it sits for me now, Im using my roster, getting some good player tencencies. The team play tendencies for some arent there yet, but its coming.

The game is enjoyable as any other game Ive played, so just embrace that dude. You cant get 2K15 perfect.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:02 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

vtcrb's Arena

OVR: 40

You will totally have to Re-Vamp the Playbooks. How many Pick and Roll Plays do you have in your Playbooks.

You also need to check the Shooting Tendencies, and the Attack and Pass Out Tendencies.

Your Sliders can also have an effect on Your Team's Aggressiveness.

Also as stated the game has Flaws, BUT it can be made better, just takes a Ton of Tweaking and Testing.

Twitter: @VTCRBTEC

Youtube Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKL...1uva35l4zFEofg

Roster Editing for Over a Decade
Old 12-07-2014, 09:46 AM   #5
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

Is Dirk's top play type set to pick n roll man? Touches are how often plays for that player to end up with a shot are called so making Jameer Nelson touch tendency so high and Dirk's so low won't help in realizing your intended outcome.

Also like the other poster said check their playbook for how many pick n roll plays are in there. Also are you playing on Hall of Fame difficulty?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcrb
How many Pick and Roll Plays do you have in your Playbooks.
For Dallas? 21.

Quote:
You also need to check the Shooting Tendencies, and the Attack and Pass Out Tendencies.

Your Sliders can also have an effect on Your Team's Aggressiveness.
How do these tendencies and/or sliders affect the problem I'm having? I never considered the possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne12345
Is Dirk's top play type set to pick n roll man?
Yeah.

Quote:
Touches are how often plays for that player to end up with a shot are called so making Jameer Nelson touch tendency so high and Dirk's so low won't help in realizing your intended outcome.
Why not? Dirk gets very few plays actually called for HIM (unless you count pick-and-rolls) because he's the most effective spot-up big man in NBA history. Nelson, meanwhile, gets a lot of plays called for him to score-- he's just totally unaggressive (unlike Ellis).

Quote:
Also are you playing on Hall of Fame difficulty?
Yeah. Why?
Old 12-07-2014, 04:56 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

vtcrb's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFitzmagic
For Dallas? 21.

How do these tendencies and/or sliders affect the problem I'm having? I never considered the possibility.

Yeah.

Why not? Dirk gets very few plays actually called for HIM (unless you count pick-and-rolls) because he's the most effective spot-up big man in NBA history. Nelson, meanwhile, gets a lot of plays called for him to score-- he's just totally unaggressive (unlike Ellis).

Yeah. Why?
Do the Pick N Roll plays you have in Roster include Dirk as PF? I would also suggest some Post High Plays with Dirk. Also the Play Types per player.

Now with the Tendencies if you are having players just passing the Ball Around Randomly then you need to look at their Pass Out/Attack Tendencies and Drive Tendencies. Also look at their Triple Threat Tendencies if you want to INCREASE the Likely hood of shots once they receive the Ball. Also the Shot Tendencies as well for Standing and Moving. There are so many things that tie together when it comes to the Player being Aggressive within the game. I would suggest tinkering with the Mavs until you get things how you want them and then move to other teams. Hope this helps.

Twitter: @VTCRBTEC

Youtube Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKL...1uva35l4zFEofg

Roster Editing for Over a Decade
Old 12-07-2014, 05:19 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Do the Pick N Roll plays you have in Roster include Dirk as PF?
I made sure that the Pick and Roll plays had a good balance of the center setting the screen and the power forward setting the screen, which is why I'm perplexed as to why Chandler doesn't get involved.

Quote:
I would also suggest some Post High Plays with Dirk.
As opposed to Mid Range, or in addition? I was thinking about giving him just P&R Roll Man and Isolation as well.

Quote:
Also the Play Types per player.
?

Quote:
Now with the Tendencies if you are having players just passing the Ball Around Randomly then you need to look at their Pass Out/Attack Tendencies and Drive Tendencies. Also look at their Triple Threat Tendencies if you want to INCREASE the Likely hood of shots once they receive the Ball. Also the Shot Tendencies as well for Standing and Moving. There are so many things that tie together when it comes to the Player being Aggressive within the game. I would suggest tinkering with the Mavs until you get things how you want them and then move to other teams. Hope this helps.
Well, even if the problem of swinging the ball with no real intention is an easy fix, shouldn't they be prioritize running pick-and-roll instead of giving the ball up? Especially Nelson and Ellis, since they're touches are extremely high.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters »