Home

15-16 Accurate Sigs + Rookies + Offseason Updates!

This is a discussion on 15-16 Accurate Sigs + Rookies + Offseason Updates! within the NBA 2K Basketball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-04-2015, 06:34 PM   #1
Pro

ZakMarcin's Arena

OVR: 0
15-16 Accurate Sigs + Rookies + Offseason Updates!

What's up OS, ZakMarcin here. I've been making my own local custom roster since around 2K10, and every year since I've improved as an editor a ton thanks to things like League Pass. This year, I am proud to announce that I will be releasing my first roster to the public. I've been pushed by many of my peers to do this because they know the work I put in all year round, as if I get paid for it. 2K has done a much better job since they've hired someone to specifically handle rosters, but I am even faster than he is. I literally update any move within the hour of it occurring, sometimes sooner. I'm crazy like that.

Features

Player Movement:
- As you all might remember, there was a time in which roster moves were only updated once a year or you had to wait until the next game came out. This will be the most consistent and quickest roster you've ever used as far as player movement goes.

- I'm not one who enjoys retracting a move, so I make sure I wait until a deal is official, but not the way 2K does, where they don't let Stauff make the move until the trade call is done. If it's agreed in principle, and has been confirmed by multiple reliable sources, that's good enough for me.

Contracts:
- Updated when needed. I use two highly trusted sites for exact figures. When a player opts in or out, I remove the their player option. Same goes for team options. For example, Al Jefferson no longer has a player option to ensure he is under contract in what would be this offseason in your second season of MyGM. One year will be taken off everyone's contract to ensure the future free agent classes remain intact.

Tendencies:
- ALL players have been given more realistic or updated tendencies. That includes most of the free agent pool as well.

Attributes:
- Patch Reversed: Remember when Stauff (2K's roster guy) decreased everyone's shooting (mid, moving mid, 3, moving 3) by 8 points? I thought that was harsh, nearly negating the purpose of the shooting patch. It's reversed on my roster.

- Three Point & Free Throw percentages: Every player in the league and a good portion in free agency have their 3 pt & FT percentages tuned to match their regular season percentages. For threes, I use the same formula 2K's roster guy uses, which is doubling the percentage and adding 10 points. For free throws I use the percentage. I round as well, so if a player shoots 78.5^ from the line, I'll give him a 79. Where I think I pick up on some of 2K's slack is factoring in attempts. Too many times during the season I've seen Stauff give a big man with a good percentage a really high three point rating without factoring in his attempts. If a guy shoots 40% on threes but has only taken 20. I don't think that warrants the 90 rating the formula suggests. Same goes with free throws. For the Cavs and Warriors, all players who have logged enough minutes and attempts had their three point and free throw percentages averaged with their regular season ones.

- Nearly every notable and some non-notable free agents are also edited. For those who have had very brief stints in the league recently, or got injured and waived, their stats will be based on the last season they received consistent minutes and took consistent attempts from three & the FT line. One of my biggest philosophies with attributes is that injury does not equate to decline all the time. Steve Nash for example was out for the season early on, but does that mean his fundamental abilities should be lowered? If he gave it a try when healthy again instead of retiring would he not still be a great shooter and passer at the least? Should Kobe be rated like a high end role player because he got hurt? Not to me. Of course they won't be their prime selves on my roster, but you get the point.

- Potential: players' potential ratings are generally higher across the board because I'm big on potential, but luckily not every player will reach their potential in this game because it now depends on how many minutes they get and other real life factors. I think it is rightfully so because in the past 2K has been pretty bad with this. Older players, like Vince Carter for example, have highly reduced potential ratings, to ensure that they do not see progression rather than regression as they age.

Badges:
One of the biggest reasons I got into editing rosters was that role players and lesser known players were almost worthless. In the league, any team can beat any team on any given night, and maybe even now that is still not even possible if you're playing a skilled player. But regardless of that, I'm very well known among my peers for liking "scrubs", which are really players who have yet to prove themselves on a big stage or just underrated players in general. There are 77 badges in this game, there are VERY few players in the league maybe in free agency that don't deserve a few or at least one. Almost everyone does something well or is known for something. 2K hasn't done well with using levels of badges. Bronze is there for a reason! In addition to assigning players badges who don't have any (not just for the sake of balance but just knowing them), I do add badges to those who already have if I believe they have some missing.

Signature:
- I'm also very much into the signature editing business and regard myself as one of the best at it, and I am quite active on the thread designed for sig edits on this site. Nearly every single player has more accurate signature stuff from jump shots to free throws and dunk packages. But the best part is that I don't only use my edits, this roster is comprised of the signature work of myself as well as some of the top signature guys on these forums including: BluFu, iTrey, Woody, & 2KGenius. I've been using highlight videos for years (big shout out to DownToBuck on YouTube for making highlights for lesser known guys and showing free throw routines), but now I have expanded to using NBA.com's stats site, which provides videos for almost every kind of shot attempt.

Body Types:
- while I can't do anything about messed up body types like Isaiah Thomas being anorexic in the game, I do edit certain guys who have standout length like Rudy Gobert and such.

2015 Draft:
Pretty much every single rookie drafted will be on their team (aside from draft-and-stash guys. Most of the faces are credited to EmbraceThaPace, I used his draft class as a base, then made my tweaks to every player (signature, ratings, badges, tendencies, faces & hairstyles). I rated the rookies using similar formulas as I did for the regular players but to an extent because of course the college 3 point line is closer. I studied Draft Express's strengths and weaknesses videos, as well as recent workout videos to help with this process.

- 2014 rookies will have one year added to their years as a pro (as well as 2nd year players)

- Some players who are impending free agents or have unguaranteed contracts will be released to make space for rookies.

- Rookie contracts have been estimated using Forbes.com (for first rounders) and general estimations were used for second rounders, every rookie has a 4 year deal, with a 2 yr team option, rendering them a restricted free agent. Will be updated when contract info becomes available.

Editor's notes:
- Not aging players because I don't want to prompt early retirement or regression and it won't really matter because chances are most people will only play 2-3 seasons per MyGM

- I also have a super wide variety of custom sneakers (all real sneakers that I've seen either in person or from famous custom guys like Mache) unfortunately the custom sneakers don't transfer onto a system that doesn't have my sneaker files so you won't be able to see all the dope PEs and real life colorways I've made.

- I have been told that my ratings are higher than some people prefer, but it is across the board, there is no team that I neglect. This roster may not be for those who are very conservative rating wise. Overall it provides a very fun experience, it's just my style of rating. Same goes for my draft class (not like anyone is like an 85 overall or anything but the class is a bit top heavy rating wise because I tried to rate in order to mimic the actual draft order.)

- I can explain any specific rating, signature edit, or badge given, so feel free to PM me if you'd like to debate something, but please no hate comments on the thread, I work extremely hard on this.

Sliders: I always play on Hall of Fame, simulation. However, in order to get realistic team and player shooting percentages, I highly recommend using Simworld's slider set. If you are playing MyLeague with this roster, set the progression rate to 15-20. If you're playing MyGM, there is nothing you can really do about progression, even with lower potential guys progress too fast. Please note that most of the slider changes should only be made for CPU sliders. Teams and players may shoot too high a percentage when controlled by the CPU, but it is not the same when a user is controlling them.

Last edited by ZakMarcin; 08-14-2015 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Additions
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2015, 06:38 PM   #2
Pro

ZakMarcin's Arena

Re: 15-16 Accurate Sigs + Rookies + Offseason Updates!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qqELmiXfWs

Twitter: IAmZakMarcin
Old 07-04-2015, 10:53 PM   #3
Rookie

demunnj's Arena

Sounds great, what system
Old 07-05-2015, 12:33 AM   #4
Pro

ZakMarcin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by demunnj
Sounds great, what system

PS4, sorry man didn't get the notification, thought I included that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2015, 12:40 AM   #5
MVP

DatIsraeliGuy's Arena

I downloaded it, and I'm angry because now I have 3 AMAZING offseason rosters...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2015, 01:43 AM   #6
Pro

ZakMarcin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatIsraeliGuy
I downloaded it, and I'm angry because now I have 3 AMAZING offseason rosters...

Lol, good luck, and thanks for downloading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2015, 03:29 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

Been awaiting this roster. Sounds promising man.

Have you done anything with coach profiles and/or team play books?

Also, I believe you previously said you roll with HOF sim sliders. Is that correct? If so, any edits you suggest knowing how you've rated the players?

Thanks for all your hard work.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:28 AM   #8
Pro

ZakMarcin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWood56
Been awaiting this roster. Sounds promising man.

Have you done anything with coach profiles and/or team play books?

Also, I believe you previously said you roll with HOF sim sliders. Is that correct? If so, any edits you suggest knowing how you've rated the players?

Thanks for all your hard work.
I have not touched coach profiles or play books, however if you have specific requests (and can back up the reason they should be changed) you can let me know and I'll update it for you.

I do usually go with HOF sim sliders, but I ran some tests and found a new slider set that works well for the CPU. Details are now in the description above.

Thank you for the support, it means a lot. Be sure to keep up with me on here or Twitter as I update frequently!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters »