Home

NBA 2K16: Ratings/Tendencies Discoveries Thread

This is a discussion on NBA 2K16: Ratings/Tendencies Discoveries Thread within the NBA 2K Basketball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-18-2015, 12:16 PM   #81
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K16: Ratings/Tendencies Discoveries Thread

Since they've done away with "Moving [Shot Location]" tendencies, what do you guys think is the course of action to get players to shoot those bad, contested pull-up mid-range shots (like Kobe/Westbrook) and the Steph Curry-esque pull-up, semi-contested threes? I want Curry to be a threat any time he's behind the three-point line.

I assume maybe it would be a combination of a high tendency from the shot location, maybe a high "Drive/Attack" and a moderate-to-low "Pass To Open Man."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2015, 02:30 PM   #82
NBA Ratings Wizard

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFitzmagic
Since they've done away with "Moving [Shot Location]" tendencies, what do you guys think is the course of action to get players to shoot those bad, contested pull-up mid-range shots (like Kobe/Westbrook) and the Steph Curry-esque pull-up, semi-contested threes? I want Curry to be a threat any time he's behind the three-point line.

I assume maybe it would be a combination of a high tendency from the shot location, maybe a high "Drive/Attack" and a moderate-to-low "Pass To Open Man."
I don't think a low "Pass To Open Man" suits Curry at all, maybe Kobe and Westbrook though.

I haven't tested it in 16 so I can't say for sure, but this is where I think Shot IQ would come into play. My formula for shot IQ involves how often players shoot from spots on the floor they shoot well from. These calculations tend to be dominated by big men, of course, since they're the ones taking most of their shots from high percentage areas of the floor. Although, I may alter the rating to use effective fg% instead of standard fg% to give extra credit to players who smartly shoot three point shots.

This is one of those times where I wish the devs were more open with us about what these tendencies mean. They don't even give us helper text in the menus anymore. I'm sure they took out the moving shot tendencies for a reason, because they found some alternative way to simulate the same types of shots, but without their input, all we can do is shoot in the dark.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:41 PM   #83
MVP

How much do ratings (like Shot IQ) affect in-game tendencies?
Old 10-18-2015, 04:42 PM   #84
Rookie

Perkele's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicmage
I don't think a low "Pass To Open Man" suits Curry at all, maybe Kobe and Westbrook though.

I haven't tested it in 16 so I can't say for sure, but this is where I think Shot IQ would come into play. My formula for shot IQ involves how often players shoot from spots on the floor they shoot well from. These calculations tend to be dominated by big men, of course, since they're the ones taking most of their shots from high percentage areas of the floor. Although, I may alter the rating to use effective fg% instead of standard fg% to give extra credit to players who smartly shoot three point shots.

This is one of those times where I wish the devs were more open with us about what these tendencies mean. They don't even give us helper text in the menus anymore. I'm sure they took out the moving shot tendencies for a reason, because they found some alternative way to simulate the same types of shots, but without their input, all we can do is shoot in the dark.
I really don't know why they removed those explanations for attributes/tendencies. They were helpful when determining what a attribute/tendency would do, when in doubt.

About Shot IQ, maybe it determines player shot selection when hot/cold? Like with a low Shot IQ, a player would still shoot even when cold.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:03 PM   #85
NBA Ratings Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkele
About Shot IQ, maybe it determines player shot selection when hot/cold? Like with a low Shot IQ, a player would still shoot even when cold.
It's a possibility, but I'd hope it'd be a little more involved in gameplay than just for streaks. Like determining when players take shots even though they're contested, that kind of thing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2015, 05:11 PM   #86
DC
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 39

I assume Shot IQ would be how often a player veers off from his shot tendencies?
Old 10-18-2015, 05:27 PM   #87
Rookie

Perkele's Arena

Only player with a 99 Shot IQ is Orlando Shaq, though plenty of 95-98 rated players, mostly stars. Lowest rated players are mostly rookies and unproven players, with Elijah Millsap and Daniel Orton being the lowest rated with 30 ratings.

Chris Paul - 88
Russell Westbrook - 95
Old 10-18-2015, 05:38 PM   #88
NBA Ratings Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkele
Only player with a 99 Shot IQ is Orlando Shaq, though plenty of 95-98 rated players, mostly stars. Lowest rated players are mostly rookies and unproven players, with Elijah Millsap and Daniel Orton being the lowest rated with 30 ratings.

Chris Paul - 88
Russell Westbrook - 95
The reason why only one player has 99 is because of how they implemented their "hall of fame" scale for this year. For each rating, they looked at all their players rated 99, picked one out of the bunch they thought the best, then moved all the rest down to 98. That's it, that's the entire feature. None of the rest of the players got scaled down accordingly.

Since we now have the ability to sim CPU-CPU matchups at a much faster rate with Simcast Live, I think I'll take a crack at looking at what Shot IQ might do during gameplay once I get some time next week.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters »