Home

2K16 Bulls Playbook: An In-Depth Look

This is a discussion on 2K16 Bulls Playbook: An In-Depth Look within the NBA 2K Basketball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-27-2015, 09:30 PM   #25
Pro

cmebfresh's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: 2K16 Bulls Playbook: An In-Depth Look

Watching the bulls game.. and your on point with these plays wow

MIAMI ALL THE WAY

MIAMI HEAT
MIAMI DOLPHINS
MIAMI MARLINS
AND THE U
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2015, 10:31 PM   #26
Pro

cmebfresh's Arena

OVR: 8

Plus, are you planning on doing others??

MIAMI ALL THE WAY

MIAMI HEAT
MIAMI DOLPHINS
MIAMI MARLINS
AND THE U
Old 11-03-2015, 09:39 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 16

For play assign types does it matter which they're in? Rose for example, should it be pnr ball handler first or mid first?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Join the MOVEment -- RespeKt My Gamer
Old 11-04-2015, 01:28 AM   #28
Rookie

jattnanga's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmebfresh
Plus, are you planning on doing others??
No, I don't believe I'll be doing any others for now. I thought about but after watching the first week. Most teams are set-up fairly accurately by 2K.

So now, I'll be diving into the game and playing a lot more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementz09
For play assign types does it matter which they're in? Rose for example, should it be pnr ball handler first or mid first?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
All the play types should be in the same order. This makes it easy to find everything regardless of you have bringing the ball up, whether its jimmy, derrick, aaron, et, kirk or one of the other guys who end up as the quickest outlet pass after a rebound.

So for the Derrick and Jimmy its: MID - HANDOFF - GUARD POST UP - PNR BALL HANDLER

many of the actions have pick and roll embedded into them if you go back to the first page of posts, so they are not truly plays designed to get midrange jumpshots.

Note: The Bulls are also running Quick Swing 3 as an option in the secondary break. This play is very straight forward. The run the initial action and then just flow into ball screens or a post up opportunity for Pau or Taj.

The first post has been updated to reflect the changes.

REPLACE Quick Euro 53 with Quick Swing 3 in 3PT plays.

- Ricky Rubio quoting Magic Johnson

Last edited by jattnanga; 11-04-2015 at 02:33 AM.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:02 AM   #29
Rookie

jattnanga's Arena

Here is a breakdown of how often the Bulls are running each particular action:

**These are listed in round percentages to be easier to follow than exact numbers**

QUICK - 35%
  • Quick Angle - 70% (mostly for with Jimmy ending up in the pnr)
  • Quick - 30% (mostly with Derrick or AB ending up in the pnr)
PITCH - 20%
  • Pitch - 45% (mostly for Derrick or AB ending up in the pnr)
  • Pitch Weave - 45% (Mostly for Jimmy)
  • Pitch Spin - 10% (Mostly for Tony or Doug ending up in the pnr)
SWING - 15%
  • Swing Quick 3 - 75% (dependent on spacing)
  • Quick Horns Swing 52 - 25% (dependent on spacing)
WEAK - 10%
  • Weak - 90% (Jimmy)
  • Weak Counter - 10% (Jimmy)
POWER - 10%
  • Power 5 Smash - 40% (Pau or Taj)
  • Power - 15% (Jimmy)
  • Rev DHO Rip - 15% (Pau)
  • Slide - 10% (Taj Ending Up in the Post)
  • Power STS - 5% (Doug)
  • Power Mix Double - 5% (Doug)
Thru - 5%
  • Thru Push Fence - 40% (Jimmy to Post)
  • Thru Fist - 30% (Derrick to PNR)
  • Thru Post - 15% (Derrick to Post)
  • Thru Smash - 15% (Derrick getting DHO)
Horns - 5%
  • Since there is not enough room in the playbook for too many horns actions, they are not represented in the playbook (unfortunate situation with the limitations we have)
  • As the Bulls weed out some sets and find what they like the most, I may eliminate some of them and replace them with accurate horns actions.
OTHER
  • The Bulls have attempted to run other stuff but the play has broken due to players not knowing where to be or what their next move so don't feel locked into the listed plays if you know what you're doing.
  • The most notable one is 5 OUT. This is available often but they can't seem to get the first wing to cut through. That shouldn't be a problem in the game so if you see both wings on the weak side, go to 5 OUT because in time you'll see the Bulls getting into that action more and more.
  • Late in games, the Bulls are going into a wing 1-2 pick and roll with Derrick and Jimmy, you can easily manually do this by pressing LB/L1 then pressing and holding B/O and having Jimmy come over to the wing and set that ball screen. It is probably more realistic to have him Fade to space and hit him or call for Punch 12 for him and then try to isolate the impending mismatch.
All of these notes are regarding possessions when a play is called, which is about 40% percent of all possessions throughout the game (this varies depending on how well the opposition is scoring and having to take the ball out of the basket and run something).

The majority of the game (about 60%) is push hard in transition after a miss and freelance pick and roll, quick jumpers, attacks on the rim or early post ups.

So in summary...

On a miss and defensive rebound:
advance the ball as quickly as possible whenever you can and try to get something quick. However, if you recognize the spacing to run something and there isn't a clear cut early chance, go ahead and run something that you can get into right away (usually Quick or Pitch).

On a make and you have to inbound the ball:
Call something immediately so you can get into your action within the first 5 to 6 seconds of the shot clock.

Last edited by jattnanga; 11-04-2015 at 02:18 AM.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:11 AM   #30
Rookie

jattnanga's Arena

A NOTE ON THE FREELANCE BASE:

I have been playing around and found DEFAULT to be a more true to life option.

This means that the Bulls go to what I believe is the Warriors Freelance with Niko in the game and then when Taj and Jo are in, they are in 3 Out Fist.

This really helps with getting more true to life spacing, because so much of the game is straight push the ball hard in transition then falling back into pick and roll so Niko or Pau will space to arc when appropriate rather than running to the block and midrange all the time.

This does mess up the ease of always having a strong side wing, but since he Bulls are only really calling stuff on made baskets against. If you call your play immediately after getting the ball, the players will realign themselves.

I have yet to update the first post with this information, but will probably be doing so very soon because with the previous set up, Niko was living in the midrange and we all know how he loves those deep threes and this way the game will adjust itself when Taj and Jo come in with the Second Unit.

FREELANCE: Default
MOTION: Space the Floor

Old 11-04-2015, 06:33 AM   #31
Rookie

jattnanga's Arena

IN GAME CLIPS

I've had a few people ask for in-game action so I thought I'd go ahead and record something.

This is on Superstar Sim with Default Rosters with the Freelance changes noted previously.

This is all some organic 1st half action against the Blazers in a Play Now game.

There is some good, some bad and some ugly but hopefully this gives a look into how to make the playbook as life-like as possible.

Notes:
  • I probably relied on too much pick and roll and wasn't creative enough in terms of reading the spacing in transition and either calling an action or selecting a particular type of pick and roll from the playcall menu.
  • I was looking to post jimmy a lot because I liked the matchups against the blazers.
  • It was late in the night when I recorded this so don't mind the unnecessary update required pop-up and any rusty d-rose moments.
  • This video is just showing a few different actions, but there are many toys to play with in this playbook, if you're in a MyLeague or MyGM..you can sort of gameplan what you are going to look to run more often (outside of quick and pitch which are always going to be there) based on particular match-ups against particular teams.
  • I went fairly simple with play selection and stringing things together because that is where the Bulls offense is thus far, it is a work in progress and they are not yet close to having a full flow so that is reflected in the video. Less is more for them right now as they are still learning the offense.

Last edited by jattnanga; 11-04-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2015, 09:10 AM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jattnanga
IN GAME CLIPS

I've had a few people ask for in-game action so I thought I'd go ahead and record something.

This is on Superstar Sim with Default Rosters with the Freelance changes noted previously.

This is all some organic 1st half action against the Blazers in a Play Now game.

There is some good, some bad and some ugly but hopefully this gives a look into how to make the playbook as life-like as possible.

Notes:
  • I probably relied on too much pick and roll and wasn't creative enough in terms of reading the spacing in transition and either calling an action or selecting a particular type of pick and roll from the playcall menu.
  • I was looking to post jimmy a lot because I liked the matchups against the blazers.
  • It was late in the night when I recorded this so don't mind the unnecessary update required pop-up and any rusty d-rose moments.
  • This video is just showing a few different actions, but there are many toys to play with in this playbook, if you're in a MyLeague or MyGM..you can sort of gameplan what you are going to look to run more often (outside of quick and pitch which are always going to be there) based on particular match-ups against particular teams.
So setting Play Calls to Auto probably wouldn't be a good idea huh?

Join the MOVEment -- RespeKt My Gamer

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters »