Home

A message for draft class makers (info regarding potential)...

This is a discussion on A message for draft class makers (info regarding potential)... within the NBA 2K Basketball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-15-2015, 12:51 AM   #1
Formerly known as Barnsey

Barncore's Arena

OVR: 1
Post A message for draft class makers (info regarding potential)...

Some of you may already know this, but i thought i'd share it anyway for those you who may have missed it, because it is some key information for draft draft class makers, and even roster makes too.

This is a quote from Leftos (2k dev) regarding potential and peak ages (from this thread: http://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopic...163&t=100026):

"Potential is supposed to represent an approximation of the ceiling of a player, be it a future ceiling or a past ceiling. He can reach it by peak start, maybe a few years after that, maybe even surpass it by a couple of points. Injuries, lack of playing time, bad training staff, can all hinder that progress.

Potential is adjusted every year. Before peak age, after offseason progression, we look at whether the player is still on track to hit his potential by the time he hits his peak. If he didn't progress enough, we adjust potential down to reflect that. If he progressed to the maximum capacity, his potential stays the same. If a player hits his potential early, there's a probability that he'll go a point or over, and potential will be adjusted up as well. By the time a player hits peak start his potential should be the same as his overall. For players that regress (between peak start and peak end in a very minor way and then in a major way after peak end), potential reflects the max historical overall the player had.

So, potential is always at least equal to the overall rating."

I then asked a question asking how player progression is defined during the offseasons, and he said this...

"It depends on a number of factors. The difference between his OVR and POT, the team's coaching staff, his distance from his peak age, his playing time in the past season, and there's a bit of randomness to it too. Different attributes have different growth and decline curves too."

This is all very interesting and useful stuff. So i thought i'd share it, cos i saw a fictional draft class recently where a 78 rated prospect had a 78 for potential. I don't think the DC maker realized that the potential rating he had was actually not that good.

Spring forth, talented draft class/roster makers!

Last edited by Barncore; 11-15-2015 at 12:55 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2015, 02:02 AM   #2
Rookie

EmbraceThePace's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: A message for draft class makers (info regarding potential)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnsey
Some of you may already know this, but i thought i'd share it anyway for those you who may have missed it, because it is some key information for draft draft class makers, and even roster makes too.

This is a quote from Leftos (2k dev) regarding potential and peak ages (from this thread: http://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopic...163&t=100026):

"Potential is supposed to represent an approximation of the ceiling of a player, be it a future ceiling or a past ceiling. He can reach it by peak start, maybe a few years after that, maybe even surpass it by a couple of points. Injuries, lack of playing time, bad training staff, can all hinder that progress.

Potential is adjusted every year. Before peak age, after offseason progression, we look at whether the player is still on track to hit his potential by the time he hits his peak. If he didn't progress enough, we adjust potential down to reflect that. If he progressed to the maximum capacity, his potential stays the same. If a player hits his potential early, there's a probability that he'll go a point or over, and potential will be adjusted up as well. By the time a player hits peak start his potential should be the same as his overall. For players that regress (between peak start and peak end in a very minor way and then in a major way after peak end), potential reflects the max historical overall the player had.

So, potential is always at least equal to the overall rating."

I then asked a question asking how player progression is defined during the offseasons, and he said this...

"It depends on a number of factors. The difference between his OVR and POT, the team's coaching staff, his distance from his peak age, his playing time in the past season, and there's a bit of randomness to it too. Different attributes have different growth and decline curves too."

This is all very interesting and useful stuff. So i thought i'd share it, cos i saw a fictional draft class recently where a 78 rated prospect had a 78 for potential. I don't think the DC maker realized that the potential rating he had was actually not that good.

Spring forth, talented draft class/roster makers!
Thanks for sharing man. I appreciate it. This is relatively in line with what I thought the system was like and how I built my draft class. I'll definitely be fine tuning some peak ages though.

Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/embracepace

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/izomniayt
Old 11-15-2015, 03:06 AM   #3
Formerly known as Barnsey

Barncore's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: A message for draft class makers (info regarding potential)...

Awesome man. Happy to help.

My general rule of thumb with peak ages is this: The peak ages of players who rely on athleticism should end earlier than your typical player. I.e. An athletic small forward that dunks and blocks might peak between the ages of 24 and 30, whereas a fundamentally-sound point guard might not reach his prime years until he's 26 or 27, but his game style has a much longer lifespan and his peak might last until he's 33. Also, an athletic big like DeAndre Jordan might start to decline when he's 29, whereas a guy whose game is based purely on skill like Dirk Nowitzki might not start to decline until he's 34.

Basically, the thought process for "peak end" should be: how sustainable is his style of play?
And the thought process for "peak start" should be: how long will it take for his style of play to develop/translate into the NBA game (note: point guards and center generally take longer to develop (unless they come into the league with an instant elite edge of some sort))

^ This stuff is probably obvious to you EmbraceThePace, but just putting it out there for others to read. The peak ages in some of the fictional draft classes i've downloaded have been pretty wack. (i.e. multiple players not starting to decline until they're 37 etc)

Last edited by Barncore; 11-15-2015 at 03:08 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters »