Home

NBA2K17 Ratings/Tendency Explanation

This is a discussion on NBA2K17 Ratings/Tendency Explanation within the NBA 2K Basketball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-06-2017, 05:24 PM   #49
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: NBA2K17 Ratings/Tendency Explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycloniac
Defenders are less prone to leaving shooters open with higher IQ ratings, so via placebo, they are in better position to close out on shooters i.e. "quicker" closeouts.
Why do you say that?

Also, a few questions for anyone who can answer:

-What's the difference between the Standing Layup and Shot Under Basket tendencies?

-Exactly what area do the Shot Close tendencies cover? I've always assumed it was in the paint, but outside of the restricted area, and around the low block right outside the paint.

-What does the Step Through Shot tendency do? There's one that's just "Step Through Shot" and another for "Post Step Through Shot". I'm unsure what the former is for. Pump fakes on drives and then going up with the shot?
Old 06-06-2017, 08:44 PM   #50
MVP

BluFu's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFitzmagic
-What's the difference between the Standing Layup and Shot Under Basket tendencies?
Standing Layup for sure affects simulation stats but I don't think Shot Under Basket does anything. I don't see a difference in game or while simulating when I tweaked it.

Quote:
-Exactly what area do the Shot Close tendencies cover? I've always assumed it was in the paint, but outside of the restricted area, and around the low block right outside the paint.
Look at the hot zones in the player edit section. The Close Middle/Right/Left is what the shot close tendency covers. The player may still shoot from there even if the tendency is at 0 depending on other factors.

Quote:
-What does the Step Through Shot tendency do? There's one that's just "Step Through Shot" and another for "Post Step Through Shot". I'm unsure what the former is for. Pump fakes on drives and then going up with the shot?
I feel like it's a modifier for the overall shot tendency. The higher it is, the more aggressive a player will be in looking for their shot, particularly around the hoop.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:03 AM   #51
NBA Ratings Wizard

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFu
Look at the hot zones in the player edit section. The Close Middle/Right/Left is what the shot close tendency covers. The player may still shoot from there even if the tendency is at 0 depending on other factors.
In 2K, close shots are an arc from about the restricted circle (4ft) out to the free throw line (~14 ft).

Those close tendencies do nothing but make the shot charts look good for sim stats. My tendencies use an algorithm that accurately generates them based on 2k's method. They're ignored during gameplay.

Sonicmage NBA 2K18 Ratings 2017-18 season
Link to Ratings 1996-2017
Link to Ratings 1973-1996
Link to Ratings All-time

Discussion found here
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2017, 01:36 PM   #52
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFu
What other factors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMage
Those close tendencies do nothing but make the shot charts look good for sim stats. My tendencies use an algorithm that accurately generates them based on 2k's method. They're ignored during gameplay.
I thought that applied to all the specific shot location tendencies (Mid Right, 3PT Left, etc.), but the overall Mid, Close, and 3PT tendencies still do affect gameplay. That's how it works, right?
Old 06-08-2017, 03:05 AM   #53
NBA Ratings Wizard

OVR: 14

Quote:
I thought that applied to all the specific shot location tendencies (Mid Right, 3PT Left, etc.), but the overall Mid, Close, and 3PT tendencies still do affect gameplay. That's how it works, right?
Yup, exactly. Another important thing to know is that the shot making attributes (Shot Close, Open Shot Mid/3pt, etc.) ALSO affect how many shots are taken during sim. For instance, if a player's 3pt tendency is set to zero, but his Open Shot Three is set to some number above 25, he'll take 3pt shots in sim. It's been really annoying seeing centers taking several 3-pointers in sim just because his three point ratings are set in the 40's. Gotta set everybody to 25 if you don't want them taking those shots.

Sonicmage NBA 2K18 Ratings 2017-18 season
Link to Ratings 1996-2017
Link to Ratings 1973-1996
Link to Ratings All-time

Discussion found here
Old 06-08-2017, 05:29 PM   #54
MVP

BluFu's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
In 2K, close shots are an arc from about the restricted circle (4ft) out to the free throw line (~14 ft).

From what I've seen, the mid/left/right close tendencies also seem to influence how many close shots a player takes during gameplay if the primary close shot tendency is low.

Quote:
What other factors?
Contested J, Drive tendency, Step Through, Triple Threat shot, etc... lots of ways to influence players taking certain shots.

Quote:
Yup, exactly. Another important thing to know is that the shot making attributes (Shot Close, Open Shot Mid/3pt, etc.) ALSO affect how many shots are taken during sim. For instance, if a player's 3pt tendency is set to zero, but his Open Shot Three is set to some number above 25, he'll take 3pt shots in sim. It's been really annoying seeing centers taking several 3-pointers in sim just because his three point ratings are set in the 40's. Gotta set everybody to 25 if you don't want them taking those shots.
I remember that I've gotten players to shoot no threes by making sure that all of their 3 point location tendencies (mid/left/right etc) are set to 0. I could be off on that.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:46 AM   #55
MVP

FerdBrown's Arena

Hi gents,

I'm new in this roster editing and tried tinkering with Create Draft Class option in 2K17. I have no master-level knowledge in tendencies and would like to ask your opinion.

Is the tendency a strict ratio of what a player will do? For example, shooting 3 pointers. If the player has a 81 3 point contested, open, and off dribble (81-81-81), and I give him 99 for shot 3, shot three left, middle, right - in short, shot 3 all over at 99 tendencies. What's the impact?

Another theoretical question is - let's say I give a 76 rating to a player for everything. Then tendency of 99 to everything. What's the likely effect?

This is theoretical, but I would like to learn more about this and any thoughts would be appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2017, 01:32 PM   #56
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerdBrown
Hi gents,

I'm new in this roster editing and tried tinkering with Create Draft Class option in 2K17. I have no master-level knowledge in tendencies and would like to ask your opinion.

Is the tendency a strict ratio of what a player will do? For example, shooting 3 pointers. If the player has a 81 3 point contested, open, and off dribble (81-81-81), and I give him 99 for shot 3, shot three left, middle, right - in short, shot 3 all over at 99 tendencies. What's the impact?

Another theoretical question is - let's say I give a 76 rating to a player for everything. Then tendency of 99 to everything. What's the likely effect?

This is theoretical, but I would like to learn more about this and any thoughts would be appreciated.
In scenario 1, basically he would shoot exclusively threes, in volume. If you set the shoot three tendency to say 50, he would still exclusively shoot threes, but less aggressively.

In scenario 2, the player would be very aggressive in every single aspect. As soon as he touches the ball, he would look to shoot, drive or pass, depending on what his position is, what his play types are, who his teammates are and what his passing ratings are. Think high usage and ball dominant, especially if he's a guard.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters »