Home

NBA2K17 Ratings/Tendency Explanation

This is a discussion on NBA2K17 Ratings/Tendency Explanation within the NBA 2K Basketball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-30-2016, 01:41 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
NBA2K17 Ratings/Tendency Explanation

I would like to gather people's knowledge on this.

For Starters, would appreciate it if someone can answer the following:

1. Are Jump Shooting Tendencies like shot close,mid,3pt, just taking into factor the ratio or does the actual value increase shooting from that range.
For example Is the following the same or is the latter more aggressive? Tendency: Mid-20,3Pt-40 Mid-40,3Pt-80
And is this the same for in game and simulated stats?

2. For specific shooting location tendency (mid-left, mid-center,etc), I understand this increases or decreases the likelihood of the player shooting in that location BUT, does it also increase/decrease likelihood of that player standing in that location offball? or the player moving to that location with ball?

3. Does Shot Tendency in Freelance affect in-game or just simulated?

Last edited by lebromelo; 10-30-2016 at 01:47 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2016, 02:00 AM   #2
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: NBA2K17 Ratings/Tendency Explanation

See answers in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebromelo
I would like to gather people's knowledge on this.

For Starters, would appreciate it if someone can answer the following:

1. Are Jump Shooting Tendencies like shot close,mid,3pt, just taking into factor the ratio or does the actual value increase shooting from that range.
For example Is the following the same or is the latter more aggressive? Tendency: Mid-20,3Pt-40 Mid-40,3Pt-80
And is this the same for in game and simulated stats?

Yes, jump shooting tendencies affect aggressiveness in-game. The higher the values, the quicker players will look to take that shot. No, this is not the same for simulations; the values work more like a ratio in sims and aggressiveness is driven by the shot tendency.

2. For specific shooting location tendency (mid-left, mid-center,etc), I understand this increases or decreases the likelihood of the player shooting in that location BUT, does it also increase/decrease likelihood of that player standing in that location offball? or the player moving to that location with ball?

Shot location tendencies drive sim stats more than anything else. It is likely that players will try to get to their hot zones in-game, however.

3. Does Shot Tendency in Freelance affect in-game or just simulated?
Just simulations. For example: if you set shot tendency to 99, but set shot location tendencies to 25 each, don't expect the player to shoot 20+ shots in-game.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:40 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 0

thanks for the info. how does 'shoot from the post' tie in with everything? i mean, if a player is at close range, but he's posted... say he has a close range shot tendency of zero, but a shoot from post tendency of 100. is he going to shoot? i guess what i'm asking is, does the shoot from post tendency tie in with the jump shooting tendencies (i suppose we're speaking for the most part from close range)?

also, is the touches tendency strictly for how often a play is called for a player, or does it also dictate how often a player gets touches while a team is in their freelance set (not running plays)?
Old 10-30-2016, 08:07 PM   #4
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by psydefx
thanks for the info. how does 'shoot from the post' tie in with everything? i mean, if a player is at close range, but he's posted... say he has a close range shot tendency of zero, but a shoot from post tendency of 100. is he going to shoot? i guess what i'm asking is, does the shoot from post tendency tie in with the jump shooting tendencies (i suppose we're speaking for the most part from close range)?

also, is the touches tendency strictly for how often a play is called for a player, or does it also dictate how often a player gets touches while a team is in their freelance set (not running plays)?
Close shot means jumpshot from close range from what I've observed. So, you could have close shot at 0 and shoot from post maxed, and the player would shoot just aout every time he receives the ball when posted up. The two tendencies are independent of one another.

Touches = number of set plays and number of times player receives ball in freelance.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:40 PM   #5
Banned

thanks man - you make things so clear in your explanations.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2016, 09:11 PM   #6
Rookie

Slooty2k's Arena

The shot location tendencies seem pretty low as default for all NBA players but they all sorts of ranges for draft class and Im not sure if the location tendencies save correctly for draft classes?
Old 10-31-2016, 01:27 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

Awesome, Thanks for the info!
I would like to keep this going if I may:

1. Do skill badges (like dimer, rim protector, etc) effect sim stats as well?
And How about the plays? For example if u set the bulls playbook so rondo is never the passer to the shooter, would he have a lower assist avg in sim stats?

2. What's the difference between high contested mid/3pt shooting rating and the deadeye badges? Same function, no?

3. Does lateral quickness affect the offensive player with the ball as well? For example would Kyrie be more efficient at getting past defenders if he had higher lateral quickness?

4. For a player with playtype pick/roll roller, does the ballhandler look to pass to the roller more then a pick/roll ball handler play?
Old 10-31-2016, 01:43 AM   #8
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebromelo
Awesome, Thanks for the info!
I would like to keep this going if I may:

1. Do skill badges (like dimer, rim protector, etc) effect sim stats as well?
And How about the plays? For example if u set the bulls playbook so rondo is never the passer to the shooter, would he have a lower assist avg in sim stats?

2. What's the difference between high contested mid/3pt shooting rating and the deadeye badges? Same function, no?

3. Does lateral quickness affect the offensive player with the ball as well? For example would Kyrie be more efficient at getting past defenders if he had higher lateral quickness?

4. For a player with playtype pick/roll roller, does the ballhandler look to pass to the roller more then a pick/roll ball handler play?
1. Badges don't affect sim stats.

2. Yes, they function similairly, but I believe there is an animation associated with the deadeye badge. Badges mainly unlock animations and boost success rates. 2k may decide to do away with the deadeye badge in future becaue of the contested shot attributes.

3. Lateral quickness does affect offensive players, but I don't think it affects them as much as defensive players. I think ball handling and acceleration/speed are more important for the ball handler. I've seen it matter most in transition.

4. I'm not sure I understand your question.
In a pick and roll, there is the ballhandler and the screener. In the play types, you can either assign:
PNR Handler
PNR Point
PNR Wing
or
PNR Roll Man
to a player.

The screener may then roll or pop depending on his roll vs pop tendency.

While play types may very, if player x has PNR Handler and player y has PNR Man, they will still be working on the same play if player x calls for a screen.

If you are asking if there is something that increases the likelehood that player x will pass to player y, rather than pull up for a shot or drive, that is the pass to open man tendency, as well as passing ratings. Sliders (inside shot tendency in rolling situations, for example) also play a part in the end result there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters »