Home

Athletic Ratings are why this game *feels* unbalanced

This is a discussion on Athletic Ratings are why this game *feels* unbalanced within the NBA 2K Basketball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-29-2016, 10:09 PM   #1
GSW
Simnation

GSW's Arena

OVR: 40
Athletic Ratings are why this game *feels* unbalanced

I was wondering why this game felt weird and thanks to a discussion in another thread i actually have figured it out.

It has a lot to do with the athletic ratings in this game.

Those being the following:

Speed w/ Ball
Speed
Acceleration
Strength
Lateral Quickness
Reaction time
Vertical
etc

Example
Steph Curry and Klay Thompson both sit with a 77 lateral quickness meanwhile Zaza Pachulia and Anderson Varajao are 76 and 92!!! respectively while Kevon Looney is 81.

How?

The issue i see is there is really no difference between players in this years game...yes the badges give superstars abilities but the FEEL of every player is all wrong and its because all the player movement ratings are too muddled together and in some cases just plain wrong.

If anyone would like to help me come up with a scale to adjust these ratings I'm definitely down.

I changed a few on the warriors and have been playing in practice and the game already feels so much better. Javale FEELS like Javale and Zaza feels like a detriment when the game speeds up.

I'm pretty sure it's something we may have to use collective knowledge on but i am definitely willing to do it it does make the game feel a lot better.

Last edited by GSW; 12-29-2016 at 10:15 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2016, 11:15 PM   #2
GSW
Simnation

GSW's Arena

Re: Athletic Ratings are why this game *feels* unbalanced

I came up with some loose "Tiering" for the ratings this is what i used in my Warrior edit.

25 35 45 - Below average

55 - average

65 75 - above average

85 95 - elite

99 - other worldy
Old 12-30-2016, 09:13 AM   #3
GSW
Simnation

GSW's Arena

I also came up with some loose guidelines based on age/skill level with the following ratings. The thing is these ARE NBA athletes so MAJORITY of the league will be average/above average in most categories.

Speed w/ Ball - This IMO should be 5 points less than Speed. So someone like Westbrook who would be (according to my tiering above) 95 Speed would be 90 Speed w/ Ball

Speed - See Above

Acceleration - This one is super hard to "gauge" How do you even measure this? so I thought it was best to use top end speed as mirror for this metric. 95 Speed = 95 acceleration

Strength - if Shaq is 99 and Karl Malone is 99 LeBron would be 85 (Strength affects blow by's and also being bumped off ball)

Lateral Quickness - This should be tied to age but also overall defensive ability.

Reaction time - I seperated this by if you were a Star/Super Star player or journey man most every payer should be above average but the big men (whom it applies to) should be below average....someone like Zaza for instance

Vertical - height trumps vertical in this game but the other worldy jumpers should be in thier respective tiers

Last edited by GSW; 12-30-2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:26 AM   #4
Rookie

iFnotWhyNoT's Arena

OVR: 0

I agree the attributes and tendencies in this years game is definitely out of whack, but changing it has given me better gameplay. If its not too much to ask could you post the warriors edits here with your changes?
Old 12-30-2016, 09:31 AM   #5
GSW
Simnation

GSW's Arena

Yo,

I'm actually working on a spreedsheet with my edits now. I am laying in my bed typing it up and my Ps4 is downstairs so i cant get that until later (its hella cold) but I will definitely put them in the sheet later.

The sheet is WIP so nothing is done but the team names/players but i am working on it and will be working on it off and on this whole weekend.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2016, 11:23 AM   #6
GSW
Simnation

GSW's Arena

If you would like to help with this please add your base ratings (using the tier guide on the side of the spreadsheet) to your favorite team at the link here.

Please note just use the tier ratings as a base the variance will come as we do more testing. (so no 73,54,81, etc just 65,70,75)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Old 12-30-2016, 05:51 PM   #7
GSW
Simnation

GSW's Arena

Will be posting a Quick File on Ps4 in an hour just testing it now. It plays SOOOOO much better like actual real basketball.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:09 PM   #8
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Upload it brah!

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters »